Harvest Moon
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Landscape & Travel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2018   #1
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5361496
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Harvest Moon

March 1st, a full moon and the grapes were ripe for harvesting.
In NE Victoria it is often too hot to harvest by day as the fruit is too warm
to process so it is done early morning or at night. The season is good and Joe has a bumper crop.
I drove out to the Vineyard last night to photograph the processing but there wasn't enough light to shoot
the Vinestar harvesting machine at work, so I did that in the early hours this morning before the heat of the day.
XZ2
Gone are the days of hand-picking, it's all done by machine.
S8+
The Vinestar is an amazing piece of engineering. Grapes are 'picked' by means of vibrating spiked arm
extending from the lower part of the machine that shakes the fruit from the vine without damaging it.
S8+

S8+

E3

S8+

E3

S8+

S8+

* mark * Wangaratta, Victoria, Australia **
The OM-D E-M1 Mark II * OM-D M5 MkII * XZ2 * XZ1 * E3
On post-processing: The camera kneads the dough, PP bakes the bread - Greenhill
pandora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Harvest Moon

A lovely series Mark.
Old 08-14-2018   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 44269403

Nice shots Mark
Old 08-14-2018   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 10108519

I learned something new. Very nice, Mark.
Canon 80D
Misc. Canon Lenses
Sigma 150-600mm C
Sigma 100-400mm C
Samyang 8mm Fisheye
greenjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018   #5
Photocamel Master

Wolf, Gautam, Thanks.

Gene, thanks, and so did I at the time. Now we know where our bubbly comes from, right?

Old 08-18-2018   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 16273323

Nice work, very interesting...
gehutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018   #7
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207

Top photo was shot at 12 mm, 1/2 sec @ f/2.1 @ ISO 400. Considering the comparatively long exposure time, how did you hold the camera steady? The leaves to the right appear to be lit by a source somewhat above the camera and well to the left of it. Am I correct in guessing that this light source was mounted on the harvester?

I was also struck by the fact that the grapes on the vines in images 3 and 5 were purple but the ones actually being harvested and processed in images 2, 5, and 9 and probably 8 were green. I am fairly sure that the harvester didn't do anything to change the color of the grapes, so would I be correct in assuming that the grapes shown on the vines are of a different variety than those that were harvested and processed?
scoundrel1728 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018   #8
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehutch View Post
Nice work, very interesting...
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
Top photo was shot at 12 mm, 1/2 sec @ f/2.1 @ ISO 400. Considering the comparatively long exposure time, how did you hold the camera steady? The leaves to the right appear to be lit by a source somewhat above the camera and well to the left of it. Am I correct in guessing that this light source was mounted on the harvester?

I was also struck by the fact that the grapes on the vines in images 3 and 5 were purple but the ones actually being harvested and processed in images 2, 5, and 9 and probably 8 were green. I am fairly sure that the harvester didn't do anything to change the color of the grapes, so would I be correct in assuming that the grapes shown on the vines are of a different variety than those that were harvested and processed?
Thanks for your thoughtful reply, I will answer your questions as best I can without access to the original file as I'm away from my home computer.
Firstly, the XZ-2 has a focal length the (equiv.) 28-112m. The shot would have been at (equiv.) 28mm. Olympus digital cameras have in-body image stabilization that is effective enough to get away with a nocturnal handheld shot using its pop up flash. So although the shutter remains open for 1/2sec the flash duration of course is instantaneous and at ISO400 @ f/2.1 most of the flash output was absorbed by the overall darkness of the subject. The harvester at the time was many rows away and I would not have risked standing in front of it taking photos and having my blood converted into a fine cabernet savignon with plenty of body.

The green grapes being harvested were of course of a different variety. My son-in-law grows several varieties, the red ones mature later and at the time of my shot were not ready for harvesting; they must first reach a certain sugar content.

XZ-2, 12 megapixels, launched 2010.
Focal length (equiv.)28–112 mm Max apertureF1.8–2.5

Hope this answers all your questions. cheers,

Old 08-20-2018   #9
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207

Thanks for the information. I'll have to take a closer look at Image #1 and run an experiment to see if I can shoot handheld at 1/2 second and 28 mm (or thereabouts) equivalent with sufficient sharpness. I might be able to do so with some kind of support for my hands or forearms, but I am not so sure I could do it handheld in the middle of a field like that. My own experience has been that the lens manufacturers deliberately cut off the response of the image stabilization (or whatever that particular camera/lens manufacturer calls the feature) to the point that it is ineffective for exposure times 1/8 sec or longer. The cutoff helps allow for re-aiming the camera without undue banging of the moving lens elements or sensor assembly against their limit stops.
scoundrel1728 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018   #10
Photocamel Master

Good shooting handheld for a nightshot, Scoundrel. As said, Olympus were first to develop cameras with IS and have incorporated it in their bodies ever since. The XZ2 has normal in-body IS but of course is long out of production. The latest innovation on their OMD series is 5-axis in body image stabilization. I own the OMD M5 Mkii and the new IS is simply amazing.
https://www.olympus.com.au/Products/...rk-II/Overview

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Landscape & Travel »

Share this topic: