PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum

PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum (https://photocamel.com/forum/)
-   Landscape & Travel (https://photocamel.com/forum/landscape-travel/)
-   -   Which do you like better (https://photocamel.com/forum/landscape-travel/235059-do-you-like-better.html)

Justsomeguy86 06-30-2018 01:14 PM

Which do you like better

2 Attachment(s)
So one of these is edited by me and one is edited by a photographer buddy of mine. I wont tell you guys which is who's but I want to your guys feed back.

Taken with a Canon T3i 18-55mm (kit lens) F/7.1 1/1000 sec Iso 200 at a focal length for 36mm.

Attachment 269315

Attachment 269316

Jim Jones 06-30-2018 01:34 PM

Re: Which do you like better

The first one has perhaps too much contrast in the pier, and too little in the clouds. The second one shows improbable brightness in the underside of the pier, but a strong sky. The presence of people in the first one tips the choice in that direction.

nu2scene 06-30-2018 06:02 PM

I kind of agree with Jim. I don't like the proceasing of #2, it almost has that cross process thing going on, where the colors look like something from the 1970's. I don't like that effect. So I like the first image better. I also agree with Jim in that the pier is blocked up in the shadows, but the rest of the image needs more contrast. In B&W I like it to be more punchy. So I'd go with the first image but reprocess it for more contrast.

I know a lot of people like to have people in their images to give a sense of scale or the human element to it. I don't. I generally think people clutter up the scene, and distract from it. In the first image, I'd clone them out, and then play up the angry sky. For me this is a stormy, gloomy, doomy type of picture.

scoundrel1728 06-30-2018 08:20 PM

I like the detail in the sky better in the color version, but overall I prefer the B&W version. Although the underside of the pier is blocked up in the B&W version, I am not much put off by this because this is a relatively unimportant detail to me and might be difficult to see in person anyway. Would be interesting to see what the red channel looked like on this image to see if the sky was rendered better.

Justsomeguy86 06-30-2018 08:28 PM

_MG_0027

here is the raw file guys. Let me see what you all do with it. please dont steal or claim this as your own. we are photographers around here.

Golem 06-30-2018 08:34 PM

`

It's not that I prefer mono or color but I find the color
version doesn't hang together and I don't like the look
of the color and tonal rendition in the color shot, so I
prefer the mono, and I'd still prefer it with or without
the peeps. But I do consider the peeps a plus.

=================================

It's entirely possible that an entirely different edit of
the color could win my preference over the mono, but
we are comparing two specific edits, so in that narrow
choice I dislike the color edit and find the mono is OK.

The shot itself appears to have possibilities but neither
of the versions presented makes the most of it. So I'm
not down on the shot, only on the presentations.

scoundrel1728 06-30-2018 10:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my version:
Attachment 269327

Justsomeguy86 06-30-2018 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 (Post 2393324)
Here's my version:
Attachment 269326

interesting way of editing

scoundrel1728 06-30-2018 10:51 PM

Made a change to bump up the contrast a bit since the last post...

Mike67 06-30-2018 10:58 PM

I almost always prefer color, but I agree with Jim re: the underside of pier, and the people make me prefer the 1st one.