Incident Reading at Squamish
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Landscape & Travel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2018   #1
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 343120
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Incident Reading at Squamish

We took a run to Squamish this morn.
After lunch, before we left I put the white plastic bag over the lens. (White Plastic Bag is one we use to line a under sink garbage bucket They come in a roll of 24. I get half for this task, the other half is for whatever)
First I did a White Balance Evaluation check for the light level I had in Program Mode using white bag over the lens.
Still in Program Mode, I pressed the shutter button half way and found my shutter speed (1/1600) and ISO(200) wit h white bag over the lens.
All this I did facing away from the mountain. Then I removed the bag, faced the mountain did the work below.
I set those settings carefully, Manually, in TV Mode. and did the image in TV Mode on WB Evaluation Icon
View this image best - back a couple of paces - straight on to the screen - on one knee or sitting

Lover of Old Master Painters and Paintings.
nldunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018   #2
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 3038224
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Incident Reading at Squamish

I'm a bit confused. You put a plastic bag OVER your lens and then checked white balance? How does that even work? *scratches head*
Old 03-13-2018   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 343120

What I am trying to do is - use the White Bag on the lens similar to an INCIDENT METER CONE over my Hand Meter Cell in my film days. It is a bit crude - I know - but it does work in a pinch. I am sure there are better ways of doing images, but I thought I would try it to see what could be had.
Old 03-14-2018   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207

I wouldn't trust a garbage bag for my white balance or exposure without some serious experimentation, especially for transmitted light. In my experience, even objects that look white under reflected light can be slightly reddish or orange-ish under transmitted light. The thickness and transmission characteristics for such objects are not controlled, meaning they can vary from lot to lot, and also with age or exposure to light, especially ultraviolet light.

The image also looks a bit overexposed to me: no real blacks in the image except in the light pole in the foreground, but a lot of the snow-covered mountain is burnt out to featureless white. I know that this was itself an experiment; nevertheless, I think you could have done better than this.

I am also unsure why you chose to shoot in Tv mode, especially a landscape shot like this where nothing is moving, and take pot luck on the aperture. I would optimize the aperture (Av mode or even full manual) instead, in this case to something like f/8 or f/11, the lowest ISO rating available for highest dynamic range and lowest pixel noise, which for my cameras is generally ISO 100, which in lighting conditions like this would still give me an exposure time of 1/200 second or less, plenty fast enough for a camera on a monopod or especially a tripod. I might make an exception for an especially long lens, such as something longer than 200 mm FF equivalent.

As far as exposure and white balance goes, usually the preset sunny white balance is good enough. If i need something better, I break out my WhiBal card and take a test shot with it in the picture. If I truly want a custom manual white balance, I shoot with the card filling most or all of the camera frame. Sometimes I might shoot a sample image with the card somewhere in the image frame, to be sampled later with an eyedropper when fine-tuning the white balance. The histogram works well enough for me to avoid serious (unintentional) over- or underexposure.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Landscape & Travel »

Share this topic: