Well... I finally got the cops called on me for Photography!
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Landscape & Travel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 3357
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Well... I finally got the cops called on me for Photography!

And that's not even the worst part! lol I got to where I wanted to shoot this bridge and took a couple test shots. Right on the second test shot the bridges lights went out The cop was super cool and I was very polite so there was no incident. He just told me I couldn't photograph the bridge without a permit and that they shut the lights off every night at 11:00. Owell here is all I got for the night:

Flickr
kewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2152373
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Well... I finally got the cops called on me for Photography!

Wow someone was bored enough to call the cops for taking a picture, theres a new low. Is the permit a money grab to get some extra cash for bridge maintainence? At least the cop was nice enough to let you know you should come back before 11 to get the shot. You could always play tourist and put someone in front of the lense but not in the scene so no one would get suspicious. I do this all the time at parks to get pictures of people on the benches for a series I'm doing.
ChuckingFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 400158

All of Our Are Freedoms are going down the Scupper real fast, because of fear and greed:
seawolf66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #4
Llama

I have the Port Director of Public Relations speaking with me so I guess I am getting somewhere. She is basically asking me if I am a professional photographer or not. Hopefully she will be able to get me permission and I can go back to re-shoot it. heh.

Flickr
Old 06-16-2010   #5
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 400158

Why does it matter weather your a pro or not ,Or is this really a money garbing means to get moneys! My problem with this is that Our tax dollars paid for those bridges
So why the heck should we pay to Photograph them??

Last edited by Seawolf66; 06-16-2010 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: spelling
seawolf66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #6
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 31196913

Ask them to cite you the statute that denies you the right to stand on public property and take pictures. Don't be agitated or confrontational, but I'm guessing that there is no such legal statute on the books.
Old 06-16-2010   #7
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1200264
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry View Post
Ask them to cite you the statute that denies you the right to stand on public property and take pictures. Don't be agitated or confrontational, but I'm guessing that there is no such legal statute on the books.
I'd have to agree...

Nice photo by the way

As always C&C welcome and appreciated

Cam: Nikon D300s, D90
Lenses: Nikon 18-135, 70-300VR, Nikon 300mm 2.8 AF-S, Nikon 50mm 1.8G AF-S, Nikon TC14E-II, Tamron 90mm 2.8
Nikon 12-24 f/4G, Nikon SB-600 Flash
Manfrotto 393

My Flickr Page

My Facebook Page
bill_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #8
Llama

Here is the latest I have from the port:

Quote:
The Wharfinger’s Office here at the Port of Los Angeles handles all film and still photo requests and permits. There is a difference between an individual that would like to photograph areas of the Port for personal use versus commercial use. It seems that you would like to take photos for personal use – correct? If so, we ask that you call our office during normal business hours (Monday – Thursday, 8am to 5pm and Fridays 8am to 4 pm) at 310-732-3810 to inform us of your request. We will ask you for the make/model of your vehicle, license plate number, cell phone number, date, time, and vicinity of your location. We will then forward this information via e-mail to our Port Police Division. If you will be taking photos after normal business hours or on the weekends, then you may call Port Police dispatch directly at 310-732-3500. Port Police may ask that you physically come in to the office (425 S. Palos Verdes St.) in order for them to verify your request.
I think it is a bit unreasonable but it is still a fair way to treat a horrible policy.

Flickr
Old 06-16-2010   #9
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 31196913

only IF you're on port property would it be even remotely fair or reasonable.
Old 06-16-2010   #10
Llama

If anyone was interested this is exactly where I was when I took the photo:

Photography Locations - Google Maps

Are you guys able to view the marker I put down or just see the area?

Flickr

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Landscape & Travel »

Share this topic: