First Time Baby Shoot!
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Kids & Family

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2018   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 100116
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default First Time Baby Shoot!

My niece and her 2 month old baby
Trying my hand at off camera flash & baby photos
Had to add catch lights and not too sure of the background,
Iím happy with the rest though

Same photo different crops, comments and critique please and thank you

Old 12-20-2018   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 1112852
Default Re: First Time Baby Shoot!

My preference is the vertical crop and I think I would take more off the top, maybe even to below her ear lobe. Just a personal thing but there is something about the hair that bothers me.

You mentioned The background, if you felt it was to much it could be softened by changing your f/stop and shifting the depth of field to the front of the scene.

I do like the color and saturation.

But I'm not a portrait guy so it's all just my opinion and preference.
The important thing is, does she like it!
Old 12-20-2018   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 36120
Editing OK?: Ask First

I agree with Greg, I prefer the first version as well. I think for the first go round, it's a nice job.

Everyone will have their own ideas about what they like and what they don't, so there isn't an absoluete right or wrong way. I'll just say what I'm seeing from my perspective. Though I maybe wrong so take from it what you want.

For me, I prefer the first shot. I think the image is about the baby and mother. The background and here body are a distraction. So I would crop that out. For me, the lower part of the rug is fine, but since you have all that space, I would have prefered more of her hair in the shot instead of cutting it off. I also agree with Greg about her hair. You are going to need to add some hair in the see through areas on the top of her head. That needs to be filled in, somehow it keeps pulling my eye to it. The lighting on their faces seems nice. It's not harsh or too contrasty, I like it. However, the background for me is too dark. I'd try to brighten it up so it is in balance with the forground. From my ipad, it also looks like the overall brightness of the image could be a touch brighter. I might try going up a 1/2 stop or so to see what it does. For me, I usually go as far to the right as I can without blowing stuff when shooting. So it feels a bit dark to me.

Overall a nice job. Can you tell us a bit about the set up. That way people can chime in on what works for them too. From the image it looks like you lit it from camera left facing them. From the second image, it looks like the light was either on the small side or pulled back a bit. There's a fair amount of fall off. I'd try either a bigger light or try bringing it closer to the subjects if it's possible to even the lighting out a touch. Or you add another light for the background.

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 100116

Thanks guys

Nu2scene these are the same photo different crops

Yes good call on the crop much better, I dodged the background did it help?

24mp camera and I have cropped quite a bit of photo out, all are 4x6 crop, how much can I crop without degrading the photo for a 4x6 print?
I used cs5 crop tool with 4x6 300dpi

Lesson learned fill the frame more with my subject for less cropping.

Lighting setup 31" x 31" softbox with speedlight
how to from this link https://westcottu.com/newborn-lighting-dos-donts

Thanks,
Mike

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Kids & Family »

Share this topic: