Family Function
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Kids & Family

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2016   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 142
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Family Function

Hi, I was taking photos at a family function yesterday. It was held in an open barn. When I took photos of people, the back would be blown out and the people would be a little dark. What would be the best exposure setting so they would have looked normal? I have a Canon 70D.

Thank you,
Kaye

Canon 70D
kb433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 15526
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Family Function

Could you post an example photo, please?
Old 02-15-2016   #3
Vicuna

Thank you Tex for your reply. I guess I have to upload the photo to PhotoCamel before I can attach it. So, whenever I have a chance I will do that.

Kaye
Old 02-18-2016   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261
Editing OK?: Yes

Hi Kaye.
Detailed information on posting images to the Camel can be found at this link.

http://photocamel.com/forum/site-rel...-tutorial.html
Old 02-18-2016   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 36120

It sounds like you were taking pics with the sun behind them shinning into your camera. When you do that, you'll usually get a silhouette. The camera will never be able to deal with the huge contrast difference between the sun and the dark areas. You'll usually get the type of images you are describing.

There is no one exposure setting you can dial in, and use every time. It will always be different. It depends on time of day, season of year, the weather, what you're photographing, on and on. You will have to adjust your setting each time you set up. Even just turning your body a few degrees can cause you to have to make very different changes to your settings.

But basically with the big difference in lighting between the subject and background you will have to decide what is important, and expose for that. Expose for either the background or the subject, but you can't have both. The camera will not be able to handle both. Not unless you do HDR anyway. So in your case you'll have to expose for the people, and let the background go even brighter. So take a pic, look at the lcd, the people will probably be too dark. Set the camera to lighten the image by a stop or so, and take another shot. Still too dark, lighten it even more, and re-test. Keep going till you like what you get.

Another option would be to use you're pop up flash for fill in lighting. But there again, you'll have to fiddle with the power of the flash, so the people are not too dark or too light. If you want to get even more technical, you can dial in the exposure of the background, and then dial in the exposure of the fill flash, and then you actually can get both the people and background properly exposed. But there is no one setting that will work. You'll have to play with it, until you like what your are getting.

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016   #6
Vicuna

Thank you wolfd for the tutorial link on how to post images.

Thank for nu2scene for your explanation. That answered my question and I was using an on camera flash. I was using the program mode and wasn't exposing for the people.

Thanks again,
Kaye

Canon 70D
kb433 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Kids & Family »

Share this topic: