Balboa Park. San Diego.
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Infrared

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 87653
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Balboa Park. San Diego.

Recently made my very first trip to Balboa Park. So worth it. The lighting was perfect due to the time of day but I did the best I could.

File Type: jpg IMG_0288-copy.jpg (467.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0299-copy.jpg (220.5 KB, 29 views)

Comments and suggestions always appreciated.
Gear: Nikon D800, D7000, D90, Canon G12, Canon G9 IR.

http://russell132.wix.com/rsandersphotography#!Home/mainPage
azrussell132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6817414
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Balboa Park. San Diego.

Russell,very nice images. I don't usually take architectural IR images myself, so I am not really a good critic of these. I think #1 is my favourite of the three. Only real comment is that the building in #3 looks a little blown out, but I suspect the lighting may have been a little tricky in places. What processing app(s) are you using?

Would you care to share the "techie" information - filter, exposure info, etc?

WesternGuy

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernguy/
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 501383

Good capture of a fine subject. The inclusion of distant people adds humanity to what might have otherwise been too sterile. I agree with WesternGuy, a little more highlight detail in #3, if possible, would be better. IR can be printed for drama as well as an airy effect.
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 87653

Thank you both. #3 was a hard one as the morning sun was full blast on the front of the building. I was not in control of the time of day of the visit to the park and had to do the best I could.

Comments and suggestions always appreciated.
Gear: Nikon D800, D7000, D90, Canon G12, Canon G9 IR.

http://russell132.wix.com/rsandersphotography#!Home/mainPage
azrussell132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207
Editing OK?: Ask First

It doesn't help either that the metering responds to visible rather than infrared light. In a case like this, a histogram is your friend. A live view histogram would be preferred, but you can also make do by shooting a test shot and reviewing it (with histogram) on playback. An overexposure warning can also be helpful. I have generally found that Nikon's overexposure warnings tend to be more conservative than Canon's and will warn of overexposure on a part of the image that isn't quite overexposed. If you shoot in RAW mode, you may also be able to recover some detail from parts of the image that register as slightly overexposed.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Infrared »

Share this topic: