Callanais I
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Infrared

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2018   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Callanais I

Fuji XE1 converted 590nm.
Limited (ie quick) process in Luminar 2018.
Maybe a bit too surreal - but then it might suit the subject better that way?

Looks like I have a couple of artefacts I could do with getting rid of in the sky!

I understand I have much to learn on this IR curve.

Callanais I on Lewis Outer Hebrides suffers from adjacent modern buildings.

I took this lying down (and upside down!) in order to help remove modern-day trappings.
Taken early-mid morning, one of many I managed to take before the brightly coloured other tourists arrived!

GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 36120
Default Re: Callanais I

Interesting. Have you tried a version with less blue? Might be nice to bring the yellow out more.

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 54761647
Editing OK?: Yes

Interesting shot.

Chuck
fatoldbaldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6817414
Editing OK?: No

Interesting documentary shot. I hadn't heard of these, so I went and googled them. It seems they are quite old, predating Stonehenge and some sites I saw actually referred to them as Scotland's Stonehenge.

I would agree with Rob (Nu2scene) that the entire image seems to have a bluish cast/tinge and it should be possible to remove this. What software are you using?

WesternGuy

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernguy/
WesternGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5
Alpaca

Thanks guys -

I'm using Luminar.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6
Alpaca

Still not there with the colour version, but here's a b&w which is closer to what I saw when I took the image. I set the camera display to monochrome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Callanais I b&w.jpg (112.5 KB, 32 views)
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1469207

I took the liberty of separating the color version into its RGB components. (I didn't save any of the images though.) The red channel had hardly any information. The blue channel looked buzzy and blurred, but had plenty of contrast and range. The green channel looked much like your monochrome image does. I opened the shadows with a backward s-shaped brightness transfer curve, but I also had noticeable banding in the sky, which is absent in your version.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6817414
Editing OK?: No

GeoffC, I actually think that I prefer the Black and White. Regardless, these strike me as a neat subject for a picture.

WesternGuy

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernguy/
WesternGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternGuy View Post
GeoffC, I actually think that I prefer the Black and White. Regardless, these strike me as a neat subject for a picture.

WesternGuy

Indeed - so do I. There's an element of mystery that suits these structures. Sadly, although I viewed in b&w on my camera - I 'only' produced raw images.

I have a few more shots to share, sometime, plus those from the smaller structures of Callanais II and III.

It's a great shame that civilisation has encroached so close to the structures, it's a trial to produce decent shots without a modern background. And then you get the red coated tourist popping out from behind a monolith!
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1469207

You "only" produced raw images? That's good news! You can redo many of the settings during conversion, whether directly to JPEG, 16-bit TIFF (recommended if you are going to do processing that you can't do on your RAW files) or whatever. This includes a second chance at color balance, your color rendition conversions, contrast, sharpening, etc., etc.

If your camera is on a tripod and if the tourists are moving about, you can shoot the scene several times with the same framing and camera settings with the exposures a few seconds apart. As long as each individual part of the frame you want shows up in at least one of the frames, you can combine frames into a composite image to get what you want, e.g., to make unwanted red-coated tourists disappear. If you must, you can align handheld shots manually, making slight rotations and shifts as necessary. I did this for my image Dry Dock: Composite HDR in the HDR forum, albeit for a different reason, and I changed my camera settings between images. The composite HDR did some realignment, but I still had to contend with parallax errors as shown by the double image of the tree in the raw HDR composite. Nevertheless, it can be done.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Infrared »

Share this topic: