Nik Software
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Nik Software

Hi all - first time posting...yay!

I am considering buying the Nik Software Complete Collection (Color Efex, Define, Viveza, Silver Efex, Sharpener) for photo editing. I am a enthusiastic amateur to slightly intermediate photographer. I own a Nikon D700 with various lenses.

I was wondering what feedback ya'll might have on the software? Is it worth $510? Pros..Cons? Any info, thoughts or suggestions are very much appreciated...

thanks!

Old 05-26-2009   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 2341
Default Re: Nik Software

got the complete package as well since a month. the silver efex is the first one i am discovering now. the other will follow
Elinchrom Style RX 600 / Ranger AS Speed, Quadra AS, BX500ri
and has a lot of fun
nyschulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 34
Editing OK?: Yes

I use Silver effect for B+W, I much prefer it to photoshops conversions. Wayne
swanseamale47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 14503
Editing OK?: Yes

Love the ability in Silver Efex to select my own filter colors with Nik's suggestions. Also, the ability to use control points in the entire suite so you can add/subtract the effects you are looking for in specific and targeted areas.

For the money however, I do not use the entire suite enough. Great to have in the arsenal and I have favorites that i go back to, but it could be so much more.
JimH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 104888

I go t the complete suite since it is like getting 1 or 2 free, so as long as you are buying 3 you may as well get the rest.

Viveza really helps beginners get the color and exposure adjustments quickly. The special effects of Color Efex Pro, I don't use as much right now as I am a classical photographer, not an edgy art pro.
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009   #6
Alpaca

thanks ya'll for the info! ....i think i'm leaning toward going for it.
ktscarlet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009   #7
Alpaca

Editing OK?: Ask first

I've been using Nik Software for awhile, and I HAVE to say I really like there stuff. Just recently (this past weekend) I was in a bad way with lighting in a church. Trying to shoot a wedding, as luck would have it there was no flash photography allowed during the service. I set my ISO (nikon d300) to 800 and shot away. When I got the images back to my digital lab, I personally couldn't stomach the amount of "noise" I saw. A couple of years ago I would have worked through it in Photoshop to clean up the noise, but since I discovered Nik Software I've been using their produce DFine 2.0. I can say its a life saver when it comes to work flow. In addition, because this was a wedding, softening the images a little was a good thing. So I say..Nik Software all the way.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing »

Share this topic:

Tags
nik software