Trying to correct for distortion in a large image
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2008   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 44
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Trying to correct for distortion in a large image

I have this panorama I'm currently editing. I've been messing around, trying to get it to "straighten" for a while now, but can't seem to get it right. I'm not sure if it's the terrain or it was introduced during the merging process or... It seems like the angle changes near the right hand side too (or is that just the peninsula appearing to magnify the effect?)
I don't think it was a screwed up tripod (since it isn't "drooping").
It originally was a ~240 degree panorama (I cropped out the right hand side since it was... not much except for dark trees), so that may be a cause of it.

Figure I'd have a breather, toss it up here and have someone else take a look at it.
Is the distortion even annoying enough to merit correction?
Any recommendations on an app / fix? The Photoshop filter I'm using hasn't been giving me any good results.

"Thumbnail"
http://vehiclehitech.com/pictures/!%...0rev1%2012.jpg

A bit bigger (about 3.7mb)
http://vehiclehitech.com/pictures/!%20Photography/Panorama/Stanley%20Park%20rev1%2033.jpg

Doesn't help that the original is 35,000 pixels wide either. Photoshop runs a bit slow with large files

BTW.. this is Stanley Park in Vancouver at 3AM, 12 30 sec exposures f/8, ISO 100, Canon XTI.
Don't recall what lens it was... Either the "EF 28-135 f/3.5-f/5.6 non IS" or the EF 50mm f/1.8 prime. Some fairly bad flare issues, so I think it was probably the 28-135

Thanks in advance

Old 06-28-2008   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 368
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Trying to correct for distortion in a large image

Not sure the right side is drooping,, the left side does the same, I think it might just be the perspective. Have you tried the different settings in ps? DAve
daveor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008   #3
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveor View Post
Not sure the right side is drooping,, the left side does the same, I think it might just be the perspective. Have you tried the different settings in ps? DAve

Messed with it a bit more today... Still no luck. The shoreline is curved, I think that might be causing some of the distortion.
loraksus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 46

It almost looks like it's the earth's curvature. Only it would be too strong a curvature for the earth. The moon, because of it's much smaller size, might exhibit that much curvature.
I have the impression your camera on its tripod did not move in a straight horizontal line from one exposure to the next (of the 19).
Jacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008   #5
Vicuna

I played with the small pic a bit. Not sure if it what you want or not. To me it looks natural, but you seem to think that the shoreline should be level. I was able to level it some. Will post my try if you want, DAve
Old 07-05-2008   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1942889

Looks like the tripod wasn't level. The camera was aimed upward in the middle of the pano, with the result that it was tilted sideways a little at each end.
w7apd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008   #7
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveor View Post
I played with the small pic a bit. Not sure if it what you want or not. To me it looks natural, but you seem to think that the shoreline should be level. I was able to level it some. Will post my try if you want, DAve
Sure, by all means

If the tripod wasn't level, you'd end up with a slant (not an arc). Thing is, I can't adjust my tripod to create an arc - it's locked into one vertical position.
Still not sure what happened with this one.
Might redo the panorama again, maybe the joining process screwed it up somehow.
loraksus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008   #8
Vicuna

Not sure if this is what you want,, I used photoshop to try and straighten the shoreline, Not sure how this will look,, tried to upload a larger pic, but says I was limited to 1024x1000, DAve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adj1.jpg (12.7 KB, 86 views)
Old 07-10-2008   #9
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 69

Here's what I did... pretty much like daveor... what I did was choose select/all, go to edit/free transform. Right click and choose warp, then I warped it to look straight'ish (by warping the horizontal lines... etc)... there were areas that were affected by the warp (a little at the bottom & right side)... I cloned in and replaced (the right side was bowed some, and the bottom slanted a little). Best thing is that it retained your original image aspect/view. It probably needs to be straightened some more... but now that you know how I approached it... you can work on it, and get it exactly how YOU want it
after is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008   #10
Vicuna

Great Now I feel like a complete and total noob in photoshop. I didn't know free transform has that ability and was dicking around with filters, etc.
My method usually works, but I guess it crapped out because the image was so wide.
Oh man... knowing this would of have saved me so much time in the past..

[edit - meant to post this before heading to banff, whoops - thanks to both of you - sorry for the delay in responding... I'll toss up a new version once I go through my banff pics )

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing »

Share this topic: