Picture Window Pro 8
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2019   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 3954
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Picture Window Pro 8

Once upon a time, there was a program that deliberately did not use Layers - Picture Window Pro by Jonathan Sachs.

Seems in his retirement he's been busy working on PWP 8 (beta), and it's presently free -
Digital Light & Color

I believe this newest version has no RAW support, but instead is configured to quickly work with 16 bit Tiff's.

Old 07-12-2019   #2
Vicuna

Default Re: Picture Window Pro 8

Interesting - 71 views, no comments.

The old version of Picture Window Pro was used by Norman Koren (scientist who created imatest) since it was capable of full 16 bit processing. His page on it -
Picture WIndow Pro introduction
Hanginon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469544

I am not familiar with Picture Window Pro and had nothing useful to contribute.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019   #4
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
I am not familiar with Picture Window Pro
That's assumed - it's the reason I made the Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
and had nothing useful to contribute.
Actually no. The fact that you didn't even consider to look at is very interesting, and shows how difficult it is for new or unknown software to become viable - even when it's free - i.e. Darktable's uphill struggle.
Old 4 Days Ago   #5
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Yes

Does this do anything that GIMP can't do?
brontodon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #6
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by brontodon View Post
Does this do anything that GIMP can't do?
Opens in 1 second on an Intel i5 64 bit laptop, but you would already know this if you had tried it.

Are people here actually afraid of putting new software on their computers due to viruses, maleware, worms, etc. ?
Old 4 Days Ago   #7
Camel Breath

In some cases, maybe. In my case, a bigger disincentive is that it takes a nontrivial amount of time and effort to install a new piece of software and to become familiar enough with it to evaluate it properly. Having to pay money to install and run the software is yet another disincentive to trying it out, though that doesn't apply in this particular case. It just isn't worth the effort if I already have something that works well enough and largely meets my needs. I must be convinced that the new software has a fighting chance of doing something that I need done better than what I already have. I hardly ever need or use 16-bit TIFFs, so why would I even bother to look at this software?
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #8
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Yes

It's not a "fear" of putting new software on my computer, it's more an analysis of whether I might need new software. If PWP promises improved features over GIMP (which is what I've been using and with which I am familiar), I'll try it. If it's just another way of doing the same thing I'm already doing, what's the point?
brontodon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #9
Vicuna

Fair answers - and as @scoundrel1728 indicated, it's the reason even most software you have to pay for has a "Trial" available. As of now PWP 8 is completely free.

Everybody's workflow is different. Not knowing what yours is, it's not my job to determine whether or not PWP 8 is right for you - I'm simply informing you of it. No matter who would recommend it to you, no matter what advantages it claims, you still need to try it - unless you're the kind of person who would actually buy a car without driving it.
Old 4 Days Ago   #10
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanginon View Post
No matter what advantages it claims, you still need to try [the software]
[Italics in original.]

No I don't. As I said before, even free software requires time to install and learn. Before I invest the time and effort, I want some reasonable assurance that the software will so something faster or better than what I am currently using. I am used to using layers and find advantages in doing so. At the end of my editing session, I can save my intermediate work and flatten the layers for the final product if need be. Aside from the advantage in not having to take this final step, what would be the advantage in working without layers? An example or two might be helpful.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing »

Share this topic: