Preset Recommendation
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2019   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Preset Recommendation

HI - I'm new to the landscape type photography and have noticed a fair amount of editing that occurs. I'm seen people mention LightRoom presets. Does anyone use these, and would they have any generic recommendations for landscape / cityscape photography?

Thanks in advance.
Rich

Old 02-25-2019   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 220555
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Preset Recommendation

Hi Rich, There are tons of Lightroom Presets available. All you have to do is google for a listing. I myself don't use lightroom, however I have lots of textures and photoshop actions that I use quite often.
Ernst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

Lightroom very popular and a good program. Others prefer other programs for varying reasons, mostly because it is subscription based and some hate that.

I use it, and some others, and if you want to use presets then Lightroom is a good option to look into and trial (you can trial it) and like Ernst said, google for presets. A ton of free ones and some that are reasonably priced. Some of course are a lot of money.

Matt Kloskowski and Serge Remelli (not sure of spelling) have some that they market heavily and do a really good job on landscapes and such, and are medium priced, sometimes on sale for a good savings. Sleeklens isn't bad too, I think they have a package with 80 presets and some brushes for $30 or so. Luxe lens is another. Just need to look and find some and watch prices. Sometimes they say they have $100 package for $10, which may or may not be truly true.

I'd suggest getting a package with some and then really look at what the preset is doing to the image, and learn from those adjustments it is making. Presets are not done deal deals... they are a starting point, or a point to tweak from there. And some of them are really over the top on color saturation and vibrancy to the point of "too much HDR" looking.

ALSO, Lightroom also has "Profiles" that can be used. Different than Presets in that they apply a change to the image without using the sliders and develop panels. It is like a LUT. A good place to read about them is Matt Kloskowski's site, as he has both available to try or buy and explains the difference.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019   #4
Llama

CamelKarma: 36120

I know a lot of people use presets, I personally don't. Usually the presets I've tried, need to be tweeked. At that point, I might as well just edit the photos on my own. So that's what I do. I usually edit each photo on my own individually.

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing »

Share this topic: