Photo Organizer& Editing alternative to Lightroom
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2018   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Post Photo Organizer& Editing alternative to Lightroom

I had my heart set on Luminar's new organizer "Libraries" until I learned that the version coming out next week has no keyword or tag searches. The company says that keyword search will be added in 2019.

I looked and found a couple of seemingly satisfactory alternatives in terms of features, ACDSee Photo Studio and On1.

Are the companies that offer the above apps reliable? Are they known as quality products or will I invest in one of them and regret it later? Can you tell me much about each of these companies I'm considering? How's their training and/or customer support?

Thanks.

Old 12-12-2018   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Photo Organizer& Editing alternative to Lightroom

ACDSee has been around for many years and has excellent products.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018   #3
Alpaca

Thank you!
Mamiya2Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018   #4
F1 Camel

Since you only mentioned the two I am going to toss out a third option. Capture One Pro. https://www.phaseone.com/en/Capture-One.aspx

I will warn you that it is more expensive than the others but by far the best. While my Adobe photography subscription includes Lightroom I use Capture One pro. I use ACDSee as my image browser.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Old 12-13-2018   #5
Alpaca

Thanks. Yes, I've heard good things about Capture One. It is a lot more expensive than ACDSee, Luminar or for that matter, Lightroom as well. I'm a passionate hobbyist, not a professional.
So I nixed it.

Organizing and tagging my collection is very important to me. If I add keywords to ACDSee but one day wish to move to one of the above alternatives, will I have to enter keywords all over again or will they remain if I begin using a different organizer app?

Last edited by Mamiya2Nikon; 12-13-2018 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: added content
Mamiya2Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018   #6
F1 Camel

I don't know for sure. Go to ACDSee's web sight and check the FAQ for the program you are interested in. Some do, but most don't. Most programs use a proprietary library system.

Old 12-14-2018   #7
Alpaca

I checked and I believe the news is good.
IPTC keywords will be saved in the IPTC , or XMP sidecar for RAW images for ACDSee's Pro and Ultimate versions of their software.
To the best of my knowledge, this is not proprietary.
Thanks for your help, Gryphonslair99!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing »

Share this topic:

Tags
acdsee, editor, lightroom, on1, organizer