PC or Mac
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2018   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default PC or Mac

Hi - I've been out of this for awhile and am getting back into taking photos and editing. I'm in the market for a new computer and was wondering if the masses still believe mac is the way to go for photo editing, etc.

Other configurations / software recommendations are welcome.

Thanks
Rich

Old 12-08-2018   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207
Default Re: PC or Mac

I never really bought into the Mac cachet. There is more competition for your business in the PC side of the aisle, which makes hardware costs cheaper for the same functionality. Indeed, it looked for a while in the late '80s and early '90s like the Macintosh might be disappearing altogether, but that would have subjected Wintel (Microsoft Windows-Intel) to government antitrust action, so the Wintel group lightened up on the competitive pressure. Adobe products have so much of the market that they have become a de facto standard, but you can get versions that run on either Windows or Mac machines. There are also alternatives to Photoshop, especially if you aren't going into this stuff professionally. I use Corel Paint Shop Pro for most of my image editing, at least for the part that I don't use Canon's RAW processor Digital Photo Professional. I have never trusted Adobe since their intrusive licensing provisions for PostScript. It got so bad that even Apple parted company from Adobe for a while and got an alternative for their printers.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 36120

As little as 5 years ago, I would have said get a Mac, no question. Today the choice is not that obvious. Apple seems to have lost its way to some extent. Either platform will work. PS and LR are very similar on both systems as well. I’d say get whatever system you are most comfortable with.

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018   #4
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Thanks for the responses. I would have bout a mac 5 years ago, but even then the cost of replacing my software was so expensive. Now it seems like I can even use the software via cloud services for minimal amount of money per month.
rhurley3163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 36120

Yes. Some people do not like the idea of the CC versions of PS and LR. I didn't like the concept at first either.

But after giving it some thought, I figured it was great. For the price of 2 coffees a month, I have the full version of the software and it's always updated. You don't have to buy the software for hundreds of dollars up front. That alone is a big deal. Wasn't PS by itself something close to $1000 back then?

There are people who use other software. I did look around a little bit too. But after seeing what was available, and having to deal with a new learning curve, I decided to stick with what I knew.

I might eventually switch over to something else. But for right now I think the LR and PS CC deal is great.

Take your time and look at what's available before you commit, because it really is a commitment.

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466
Editing OK?: Yes

There is no PC or MAC, there is only operating systems. Hardware is hardware. It can vary by quality but it is still all hardware. Your choice comes down to Microsoft Windows, Apple OS or Linux. There are a few other operating systems to choose from, but they are obscure and not for the average user.

When it comes to choosing among the three there are some things to consider.

Microsoft Windows: Most widely used operating system on the market. It's good points, it works on almost anything and has the most available software by far. It's bad points, its designed to work with almost anything. The reason that is a bad point is that hardware comes in a very wide range of quality. Many of the windows problems come down to two distinct issues. First there is the loved and hated Registry. Secondly is the desire fro windows to work with anything from the very best quality memory, hard drive etc to the hardware that is put together in Bill and Ted's shed. Trying to work with such a vast range of hardware qualities will inevitably lead to issues. Stability has always been an issue with Windows because it tries to be so encompassing.

Apple OS: Apple OS is a far more proprietary build than Windows or even Linux. Apple builds their operating systems for a certain perimeter of hardware quality, generally only top quality hardware. That has its ups and its down. The up is simple, Apple OS just plain works. It is by far the most secure OS on the market still. The down side is two fold. One, to work you either buy the hardware from Apple or you build a machine with only top quality hardware and install Apple OS on it. Yes it can be done, I have made a few Hackentosh machines in my day for fun. The cost of them is not that much cheaper than an Apple machine. The second downside is the availability of software. If you are a computer user this is not an issue. If you are a serious gamer then it can be. It comes down to what your real purpose is for your computer.

Linux: Linux, like Apples OS are both Unix based systems. Apples OS is a BSD code system (Darwin) where Linux is and open source independent development of a unix-like system. One advantage to Linux is that it is free since it is open source. Much like Apples OS after you have purchased a machine. It’s disadvantage is it is open source. This means that components like drivers are not readily available or compatible with Linux machines. Also because it is open source it can be a bit of and unstable environment for those who are not familiar with operating systems. Finally it has greater security risks as it is open source. By being open source it is easier for those with bad intentions to write malicious code. The danger however of this is somewhat mitigated in the fact that Linux is not used by any main stream organizations, who generally are the targets of most security attacks.

Personally, having used all three I have in recent years gone to Apple because it just plain works without issue. My machine is for work not gaming so I don’t care about the limitation of games for it. What little gaming I do can easily be accomplished on my X Box or Playstation. There is no serious computer software that I cannot get for my machine. I have also found that I get more bang for my buck by only using top quality hardware. It may cost more but it performs better and lasts longer. That however is my own personal observation and choice.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing »

Share this topic: