ACDSee
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2017   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 105604
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default ACDSee

I'm currently evaluating ACSee Ultimate 2018. So far, liking what I see, but my evaluation is far from complete.

I am debating between Ultimate 2018 as a one time purchase (US$149) ...and subscription (US$69/year). The break-even point is just over 2 years. However, if there's an upgrade between now and then, the upgrade is free for the subscription plan, and US$80 for the one time purchase version (based on the upgrade price of Ultiimate 2018 ). This pushes the break even point to well over 3 years. Am I missing something? The numbers seem to be heavily in favor of the (annual) subscription plan. I feel I'm missing something comparing the two ways to get into the software. The subscription plan is nearly too good to be true.

Regards,
- Arved

Arved Grass Photography Blog
Arved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017   #2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1469207
Default Re: ACDSee

If you want the latest, go with the subscription plan, but I don't use the advanced features enough to require an annual update. I would probably go with the one-time purchase and update once every two or three cycles at most.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

I think from a software side the numbers should favor the subscription plan... The concern I would have is paying the price outright and they not making it through the onslaught of all other software vendors trying to steal the RAW processing market. Someone has to lose out.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1469207

It could also be that ACDSee licenses its RAW conversions as do some other image editors, in which case that wouldn't be so much of a problem. ACDSee is also not a startup and has been around for at least fifteen years that I know about. Never have used their software though.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466
Editing OK?: Yes

ACDSee has been around since 1994. We used it for forensic computer investigations for years. It has developed from an image viewer with limited but useful editing functions to a well rounded group of programs that should serve most individuals. It is one of my many programs that I sometimes use although as a Mac I am using the Mac version that is. My main program is Capture One Pro. When needed I then switch to Affinity Photo or Photoshop.

I generally use ACDSee as a photo viewing program with some adjustments. Once you give the program a chance to build the initial data base, this can take some time depending on the amount of photos you have, it is very fast and responsive.

As to subscription vs purchase. That depends on your needs and desire to have the latest/"greatest". I put greatest in parenthesis as the Old Mac Version died with Sierra and am using the Beta version that has to be downloaded once a month. I will be glad once the Beta is done and the final version is released. All of the owners of the old ACDSee Pro for Mac have been promised free upgrades to the new final version.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017   #6
Guanaco

I'm at the end of my yearly commitment to the subscription to Adobe's Creative Suite. As a parting gift, they've extended my subscription for two months. So I'm evaluating alternatives to the US$9.99 Photography plan, also a yearly commitment.

ACDSee seems to be a good alternative at a competitive price. Capture One may produce better results, but years ago, when I last tried it, it also took the most effort (translates into time spent on each image).

Is there an equivalent to Lightroom's versions and stacks in ACDSee's Manage module? Any other DAM? I gave up on IMatch as a DAM years ago and went with Lightroom. Back then, versioning was promised "in the next major release." After two years of this (and a paid upgrade to version 3.5), Mario started asking his users what, exactly, they wanted in the form of versioning support. At that point, I knew it was going to be a very long wait. And he had an argument against every suggestion made by his users. So after switching to Lightroom, I haven't kept track of how DAMs have evolved.

Thanks,
Old 11-07-2017   #7
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466
Editing OK?: Yes

If DAM is your main concern then look at digiKam, Daminion or Photo Supreme.

• digiKam - Free
  • Daminion - Expensive
  • Photo Supreme - Moderately Expensive

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017   #8
Guanaco

Well, I've used Lightroom mostly as a DAM since transitioning to DxO Optics Pro for RAW file editing a couple years ago. I am in a position where market research for potential replacement of the Adobe Photographer's subscription plan makes a lot of sense. It seems ACDsee's Ultimate Collection, subscription plan vs. subscription plan, looks very competitive, as long as the features I used are fully supported/implemented. The option for purchasing a perpetual license is also appealing.

Thanks for the links. I'll give them a once-over.

Arved Grass Photography Blog
Arved is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing »

Share this topic: