Best way to learn Photoshop? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2016   #11
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 9679634
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Best way to learn Photoshop?

Best way to learn it is to use it................

I have found my set up good for both using Photoshop (when I know what I'm doing) and for doing things I don't know - or have forgotten................
Put a second monitor on your PC, set the PC to "extend these displays" and off you go. Use the LH monitor for Bridge and the RH for Photoshop. You can click and drag from one screen to the other and do all sorts of other useful things.
When "struggling" - leave PS on the RH screen - then open the appropriate YouTube video on the other OR get the soft copy of the book and put that on the LH screen. Of course with the video you can stop/start/rewind as much as you need.
I do also find the two monitors immensely useful in lots of things other than Photoshop.

moonrakerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #12
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 32599
Editing OK?: Yes

I have liked the Kelby books the best. Very practical with great examples.
If you have the full Photoshop then fine otherwise Photoshop Elements is a much easier to use adjunct to LR.
mshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016   #13
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 20612880
Editing OK?: Ask first

I concur with Moonshot on PSE. It has almost all of the features that you need without having to buy a subscription. Most of the features that are missing have a work around. I am still using PSE 11 and have not felt the need to upgrade to PSE 14. The only feature that is missing that I would like to have is a selection ability with the pencil tool. You can also get all sorts of free add ons from the web. The web also has an incredible number of free tutorials that you can search for.

I also agree that Scott Kelby's books are a good investment. He approaches things from the point of view that if you want to do this - this how you do it.

Here is a website that offers free Photoshop tips although not all of them will work with PSE.

https://photoshoptrainingchannel.com...as-selections/
Donspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016   #14
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 78087

Wow, great feedback. Thank you all for you tips, much appreciated.
Old 12-07-2016   #15
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

Thank you so much for your tips. I have learned lots of things from you. Youtube video, ebook and others tools work for me.Really, Appreciate your advice.
Pedro Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018   #16
Llama

CamelKarma: 1112852

Matt, you are only half right. you are right about best way to learn is to use it. But you forgot about the incentive to learn. you need to Delete all other photo editing software. That way there is no turning back.
Old 02-01-2018   #17
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promapper View Post
Matt, you are only half right. you are right about best way to learn is to use it. But you forgot about the incentive to learn. you need to Delete all other photo editing software. That way there is no turning back.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018   #18
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 215454

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattstaub View Post
At the risk of sounding sarcastic, which is not my intent, the best way to learn to use Photoshop is to use it. Come up with a project where you have a set goal in mind - a specific edit you want to make to an image. Attempt it (on a copy). You will get stuck at some point. Now, google it. Read advice from others and watch Youtube videos. Since you tried to do whatever the task was, you will have some familiarity, and be able to pick up on the topic quicker.

I always find if I just read a book, with no endgame in mind, that it ends up being just time spent reading. If there is a goal, or a project that needs completion, I will retain the knowledge.

Just my $.02

-Matt

I agree 100% I think you nailed it, atleast for people who learn like I do.

Mike
West coast Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018   #19
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1091466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promapper View Post
If it can be deleted it can be reinstalled. You either have incentive or you do not, Throwing away software is only paper incentive, easily trashed.

I can honestly say that there are two most remarkable men in the world today. Michio Kaku is one and I am the other one. Between us we cover all knowledge.

Kaku knows all that can be known....And I know the rest.

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today?
Today is a gift. That is why we call it the present."

Master Oogway from Kung Fu Panda
gryphonslair99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018   #20
Llama

CamelKarma: 1112852

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphonslair99 View Post
If it can be deleted it can be reinstalled. You either have incentive or you do not, Throwing away software is only paper incentive, easily trashed.
Point taken

"A good photograph is knowing where to stand." Ansel Adams
Promapper is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing »

Share this topic: