Photoshop Lightroom
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2007   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 407545
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Photoshop Lightroom

I purchased Lightroom 1 and have been using it (trying to learn it or rather finding my way around it) for the last 2 weeks and wondering how others are doing.

My impressions are that being used to Photoshop CS2/CS3 beta/Bridge, the learning curve is more intense that I expected. Lighroom just came with a 78 pages starting guide; I was expecting a book as that included all the details as the one that came with CS2 (400+ pages). I have used the NAPP training videos and some of the resources from Adobe but still find myself lacking detailed information. Lightroom should have a standard detailed manual supplied along the software.

One of Lightroom's the big sells is that importing files has been made easier...unless I do not know what I am doing, I find the new process more cumbersome. When using CS2, I would open the files directly from Bridge (upper left corner FOLDERs) and access any image directly and work on it, and saved directly to any file. In Lightroom I have to download the whole folder to get to see the images, and then go to multiple steps to save the image that I worked on back to a specific file.

What are your impressions Is Lightroom really needed if CS2 and/or CS3 are also in the computer?

Old 03-17-2007   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Photoshop Lightroom

I moved this from Computers/Software.

I have Lightroom, and have posted several things on here about it. I like it, but I understand your points.

I believe to some the "Import" of files seems strange. But, what is actually happening is it is being added to a database. Once in there, Lightroom can keep track of it and use it. Some programs scan the whole hard drive(s) and get every image. This has its advantages and disadvantages too. Lightrooms approach is that if you 'want" it in the database, you put it there. It doesn't add tons of stuff by itself.

Once I "work" on an image, all I do is a File - Export, and set certain stuff there as to what I want saved. I usually tell it to Create a Sub-Folder (called Lightroom), so all my "edits" are in that folder, thus leaving the originals in their original folder.

I have an Olympus DSLR, and it does NO compressing of RAW files. Therefore, when I put a CF card in the card reader, Photoshop Lightroom opens and I have it set to convert them to DNG files on upload. So all the files are imported, as or converted to DNG, into a folder I specify. Works well for me. I don't have to copy, and then import.

As for whether you need PSCS2 or the upcoming PSCS3, that is up to you. I could see that if PSCS3 has all the options available in Lightroom's Develop module, then PSCS3 could be your one-stop program of choice. I do not have PSCS2 or will I buy PSCS3. If I have Lightroom (which I do), then there is no real need for me to upgrade my current PSCS, because what it adds is stuff I don't really need. All I need PSCS for is to sharpen and use a noise reduction program, both of which may make it into Lightroom, once they release the SDK (programming language) for 3rd-party vendors to make plug-ins for.

There are other threads on here about Lightrrom that may answer more of your questions. There is one on here about the use of Develop Presets, which is a GREAT help and tool.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 32

I am glad you started this thread because I thought it was just me that was having a difficult time working my way through the program. I actually think I like CS2 better (haven't tried CS3 beta yet). Maybe it is just because I am used to CS2 I am not sure.
AJW390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJW390 View Post
I actually think I like CS2 better (haven't tried CS3 beta yet). Maybe it is just because I am used to CS2 I am not sure.
If you are just talking about RAW conversions, then the ACR )Adobe Camera Raw (RAW Converter)) in PSCS2 is easier to use, because there are few options. In Lightroom, there are a wealth of options, and that can be confusing for some. PSCS3 will have a LOT more options in its RAW Converter...

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007   #5
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

I needed an application in which to get my family photos organized so as to find them easier. Wasn't impressed with the Organizer in PSE4. For whatever reason, I can't recall now.

LR seems to be working for me so far. It does have a somewhat steep learning curve and having started over twice now, it is working for me. Plus, I wasn't into layers much but can export to PSE if necessary. Everything that I need (for now) is in the develop module.

Thus, I'll give LR a thumbs up.
DaHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 41

You don't have to import a whole folder. Click the Import button and select the file you want and click open. To open a whole folder you choose "Choose Selected" after you have selected a folder.

I have been using Lightroom for about a month and I love it. A bit of a steep learning curve but once you get the hang of it then it is very easy to use. I started with Michael Tapes tutorials. Free and easy to learn with:

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Tutorials by Michael Tapes
atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007   #7
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 79
Editing OK?: Ask first

I must admit that the main reason for getting Lightroom was for its database and tagging facility, but I now find myself using it more and more for general manipulation, cropping etc.
I do any final PP work and resizing, sharpening and printing in CS2 still though - for one thing you cant select areas in LR.

kevin_c is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing »

Share this topic: