Calibrating & profiles
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2006   #1
dc2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 290
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Calibrating & profiles

You know looking at some of the different reviews on the web regarding calibrating monitors and making profiles , its enough to put off any one considering printing at home .
So tell us your experiences with these issues.
Good and bad .
Thanks in advance.

All comments welcome and appreciated
London England
Canon 1Ds2
I lost faith in religion as a child when I saw a lightning conductor being fitted to the local church.
RSPB Member.
dc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 428
Default Re: Calibrating & profiles

We printed in a shop, two Epson P2200s, and Epson 10000 and a large format Xerox color laser.

The key to getting the closest color matches (in terms of color management) was keeping the loop closed. Devce profiles work but the translation from one to the next has to be controlled and logical. Scanner/Camera --> Software working color space --> ColorOutput/Printer Do those conversions by the book and you will have a good output file.

I'm sold on doing a color correction step in software which is how I make sure the numbers are right before going to output. I don't use a calibrated monitor, I use Adobe Gamma and never trust my screen for accurate color.

The real problems come when you try to print colors that can't be printed with a given device. How often have your reds been too blue or too yellow? It's nearly impossible to print an accurate primary color wheel on an inkjet because of the way yellow and cyan compete. You have to accept some tradeoffs when printing to an inkjet just like you do when printing to offset, they're both CMYK processes, the difference in methods for spreading ink is why the different gamut.

To me, print at home but expect to spend more time, money and frustration... you will ultimately get a better print than sending it out once you have your process down... which is when you start having clogged heads, buckled paper, full waste ink pads, blablabla.

Chip
Old 10-02-2006   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
I don't use a calibrated monitor, I use Adobe Gamma and never trust my screen for accurate color.
This is what I'm doing too. =)
Old 10-02-2006   #4
dc2
Photocamel Master

Thanks .
I cannot use adobe gamma on my Dell ultra sharp LCD screen .
I also believe a lot of calibration devices wont work on this screen or rather the software will only allow
a basic and not advanced mode to be used during set up .
I read in some reviews people who tried both set ups [basic /advanced ] got very different results.
Has nobody made this process easy peezy ?
Canon 1Ds2
I lost faith in religion as a child when I saw a lightning conductor being fitted to the local church.
RSPB Member.
Old 10-02-2006   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No

Right now, I'm laptop-based, but my screen at home is a large Dell LCD. It- Adobe Gamma- works just fine, as far as I can tell.
Old 10-02-2006   #6
dc2
Photocamel Master

There is no contrast adjustment on the ultrasharp Dell.
Canon 1Ds2
RSPB Member.
Old 10-02-2006   #7
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 428

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2
There is no contrast adjustment on the ultrasharp Dell.
Then assume contrast is already at maximum and just use the brightness. My Samsung LCD (which is 4 years old) is not as good as my CRT for tonal rendition. I have a dual head setup on my edit machine... menus and stuff on the LCD and image on the CRT. My CRT is even older than the LCD and I KNOW the color is off. I balance color based on the luminosity numbers and by balancing to a grey or white standard in the image.

I just never judge color on a monitor, too many variables.
Old 10-02-2006   #8
Llama

CamelKarma: 12115

I have a 23" Sony LCD and use the Spyder2Pro to calibrate my system.

Printing to my Canon S530D I get reasonable output and going to WHCC I get a closer match between screen and print.

If I were needing a sure match in colors I would run a fully calibrated and controlled setup (closed loop) and believe I could achieve my needs. Why? Because I know people who do that.

Peace,

TonyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #9
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 19702
Editing OK?: Yes

I have a Sony 20 inch LCD monitor and I regulary profile (calibrate my monitor). I have found that it is relatively easy to do it. I learned most of it from Tim Grey's book, "Color Confidence". I seldomly have problems making prints once I had every set up, profiles for the printer, and prifing my monitor. I use GreyTag MacBeth Eye One Display and it is easy to use.

Scott

My new photo blog: http://www.buckelphotography.com/blog
ScottBuckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006   #10
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 59

Well.. I am not sure if I really understand what all I am doing, but I don't know for sure if I really use profiles. I do calibrate my monitor with Color Vision Spyder and have done so ever since I started to shoot digital. I do the basic route. I have tried many times to calibrate using a profile for my printer, and so many different kinds of settings, that I was never really successful at it consistently. At times I would get a good result and at other times, I don't. I took a class on printing, calibrating online, but even after that, I still didn't get the consistency. So, I decided to just stick with my lab for printing and stop wasting money on ink, paper and wasting time on printing at home when I could be do other things like catching up on editing..

I know this may not be what you wanted to hear, but this has been my experience with printing at home. I wish I could of had better success at it, but maybe one day in the future I will.. Till then, I use MPIX.

Regards,
Michele

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing »

Share this topic: