New Topaz B&W Effects Plug In - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
 

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011   #21
Bactrian
 
studiozahzah's Avatar
 
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 1,788
CamelKarma: 58552
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: New Topaz B&W Effects Plug In

There is an "Academic" version of NIK Silver Efex that runs $99ish. Word is that the academic version is the same. Yes or No?

Rense, why do you you like the NIK over the Topaz?
__________________
"If I knew what I was doing, I'd be doing it right now."
Abandoned Oly ship for Canon. Currently waiting for EOS 6D, while learning on 60D. Because it's all about the glass, 'bout the glass... 20mm, 50mm, 85mm, and 100mm macro for starters. Trying some Interfit continual lighting with their ringlight, a few Yongnuo speedlights and triggers, Westcott orb, and a hodgepodge of other modifiers...and still a variety of DIY photography "helpers" and gadgets all conspiring together to confuse and trick me.

Renata
studiozahzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011   #22
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath
 
Rense's Avatar
 
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 27,062
CamelKarma: 8523012
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No
Default Re: New Topaz B&W Effects Plug In

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiozahzah View Post
There is an "Academic" version of NIK Silver Efex that runs $99ish. Word is that the academic version is the same. Yes or No?

Rense, why do you you like the NIK over the Topaz?
Better localized control of sharpness, tones are much more fluid, Topaz presets are hard.
__________________
Rense
Rense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012   #23
Bactrian
 
studiozahzah's Avatar
 
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 1,788
CamelKarma: 58552
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: New Topaz B&W Effects Plug In

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rense View Post
Better localized control of sharpness, tones are much more fluid, Topaz presets are hard.
Here I go, back again to this topic, Rense. "Topaz presets are hard." Hard to use or no ability to tweak after using a preset?
__________________
"If I knew what I was doing, I'd be doing it right now."
Abandoned Oly ship for Canon. Currently waiting for EOS 6D, while learning on 60D. Because it's all about the glass, 'bout the glass... 20mm, 50mm, 85mm, and 100mm macro for starters. Trying some Interfit continual lighting with their ringlight, a few Yongnuo speedlights and triggers, Westcott orb, and a hodgepodge of other modifiers...and still a variety of DIY photography "helpers" and gadgets all conspiring together to confuse and trick me.

Renata
studiozahzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012   #24
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath
 
Rense's Avatar
 
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 27,062
CamelKarma: 8523012
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No
Default Re: New Topaz B&W Effects Plug In

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiozahzah View Post
Here I go, back again to this topic, Rense. "Topaz presets are hard." Hard to use or no ability to tweak after using a preset?
no, both are easy to use, and both can control/tweak. It is the end result. Saturation is always an issue with Topaz, as I think Topaz is more geared to create oh, wow effects. Nik on the other resembles working in the darkroom: solitude not working for mass effects but to create art prints.
__________________
Rense
Rense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012   #25
Bactrian
 
studiozahzah's Avatar
 
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 1,788
CamelKarma: 58552
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: New Topaz B&W Effects Plug In

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rense View Post
no, both are easy to use, and both can control/tweak. It is the end result. Saturation is always an issue with Topaz, as I think Topaz is more geared to create oh, wow effects. Nik on the other resembles working in the darkroom: solitude not working for mass effects but to create art prints.
I understand now. Absolutely.

I'm going to have to settle for Topaz for a while and just put the NIK on that pesky wish list that hangs in a constant balloon over my head. The Topaz will do in B&W what I need it to do to satisfy most of my portrait print customers and the NIK will do what I want it to do to really satisfy me.
__________________
"If I knew what I was doing, I'd be doing it right now."
Abandoned Oly ship for Canon. Currently waiting for EOS 6D, while learning on 60D. Because it's all about the glass, 'bout the glass... 20mm, 50mm, 85mm, and 100mm macro for starters. Trying some Interfit continual lighting with their ringlight, a few Yongnuo speedlights and triggers, Westcott orb, and a hodgepodge of other modifiers...and still a variety of DIY photography "helpers" and gadgets all conspiring together to confuse and trick me.

Renata
studiozahzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012   #26
Camel Breath
 
BambersImages's Avatar
 
Location: West country, UK.
Posts: 28,567
CamelKarma: 58394711
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: New Topaz B&W Effects Plug In

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiozahzah View Post
I understand now. Absolutely.

I'm going to have to settle for Topaz for a while and just put the NIK on that pesky wish list that hangs in a constant balloon over my head. The Topaz will do in B&W what I need it to do to satisfy most of my portrait print customers and the NIK will do what I want it to do to really satisfy me.

I settled with Topaz because of price...couldn't justify the price of Nik at the moment and I got the introductory offer.
It is on my wish list, but a long way down as there are other things I need more.
__________________
Constructive C & C is very welcome.

BambersImages Flickr
Etsy Shop Print Sales

Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you.
“Happiness is a habit – cultivate it.” ~ Elbert Hubbar
A Camera puts a frame around life. ~ Joel Meyerowitz
BambersImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012   #27
Bactrian
 
studiozahzah's Avatar
 
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 1,788
CamelKarma: 58552
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: New Topaz B&W Effects Plug In

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambersImages View Post
I settled with Topaz because of price...couldn't justify the price of Nik at the moment and I got the introductory offer.
It is on my wish list, but a long way down as there are other things I need more.
Yep. In the same boat as you.

I hemmed and hawed around and so much, though, I missed out on the good price. In my gut I knew I would end up getting the Topaz first but of course, I didn't listen to myself. I think the best deal I can get now is 15% off.


__________________
Members don't see ads in threads. Register for your free account today and become a member of PhotoCamel to open up the site's many benefits and features.
__________________
"If I knew what I was doing, I'd be doing it right now."
Abandoned Oly ship for Canon. Currently waiting for EOS 6D, while learning on 60D. Because it's all about the glass, 'bout the glass... 20mm, 50mm, 85mm, and 100mm macro for starters. Trying some Interfit continual lighting with their ringlight, a few Yongnuo speedlights and triggers, Westcott orb, and a hodgepodge of other modifiers...and still a variety of DIY photography "helpers" and gadgets all conspiring together to confuse and trick me.

Renata
studiozahzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing »


Share this topic:

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tonemapping & topaz adjust viper1820 HDR (High Dynamic Range) 4 05-21-2011 06:40 PM
Rense's Plug-In for B&W Conversion Marc Kurth Black & White 13 04-03-2010 02:20 PM
Topaz Plug-ins Preset Sharing. furano Computers and Software 0 07-29-2009 08:04 PM
Voltage Converters &/or Plug Adapters for Ireland shamrock838 Camera Accessories 1 08-24-2007 11:52 AM