Lightroom vs ACDSee vs others
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2010   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Lightroom vs ACDSee vs others

You might think it heretical to compare Lightroom and ACDSee, but what I've been looking for is a superb image organizer. I have tried all of the versions of Lightroom, and I keep coming back to ACDSee because what I'm looking for is really less of a RAW processor--which I see as Lightroom's forte--and more of a fast, fast, fast image browser that lets me see the tons of photos I have in a hurry and provides a quick, efficient way (keyboard shortcut) for me to open one of them up into PhotoShop if I want to edit them. ACDSee has been the closest I've found so far to this ideal.

So why am I looking for something better? Because ACDSee crashes on my on occasion, and I just hate buggy software. I've used every version of ACDSee and every patch, hoping for stability. But no.

So what are you using as an image organizer and browser? I've got probably close to a terabyte of images, organized by year and then by day. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

JDArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 31196913
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Lightroom vs ACDSee vs others

First, recognize that Lightroom is a database as opposed to an image browser such as ACDSee. You have to import images into LR, whereas other browsers simply read the directories. If you manipulate files outside of LightRoom, you end up with a confused database that can't find the files or doesn't know you have them until you import/find them. File browsers don't have that problem, but don't have the powers that a database gives you. A tradeoff, either way.

Having said that, I use LR or Bridge as my primary means of organization -- LR for all the heavy lifting and Bridge when I just want to file browse.
Old 11-21-2010   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906

I'm a HUGE ACDSee fan. Been using them for many many years and never had a single crash. Surprised that you have problems with it.
Old 11-23-2010   #4
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First

You are right JD in saying that it crashes, or at least it used too. I ditched it LR long ago because that rock group named software had more bugs than a cheap motel room or an enemy of Nixons house.

That said, I use LR and agree with everything OHenry says. It certainly isn't buggy, but if you no like, then I hope others have a better tool. I quit looking, especially after LR3.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #5
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 395

I use LR3 for raw processing and key wording and ACDSee Photo Manager 12 for importing raws, browsing and for fast searching of images. LR still does not compete in that area. So for me they make a good team.

And on Windows 7 64 bit I have not had it crash once in the 12 months since I upgraded to 12.

Paul Silk Photography
My Flickr Photo's
OlyPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #6
Photocamel Master

Paul -- curious as to why you use ACDSee to import your raw files when LR does that (and you must import them to LR to use them anyway)? Seems to me that you're doing double work there. I haven't used ACDSee for many versions but I find LR pretty fast for searching files that are in the database.
Old 11-23-2010   #7
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 933769
Editing OK?: Yes

I've heard great things about Photo Mechanic.

~Life is too short to be around people who suck the life out of you!

~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

~No one can drive us crazy unless we give them the keys.

5D MKII | 7D | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 300 4.0L IS | 135L | 100/2.0 | 50/1.4 |35L |Speedlites: 580 EX II, 430 EX
WISHLIST

85L
lputman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #8
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 395

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry View Post
Paul -- curious as to why you use ACDSee to import your raw files when LR does that (and you must import them to LR to use them anyway)? Seems to me that you're doing double work there. I haven't used ACDSee for many versions but I find LR pretty fast for searching files that are in the database.
Quite simply I can import a card full of images in a sixth of the time it takes in LR3, I can then be browsing images at 100% size straight away and instantly go on to next one to sort the less than sharp ones out then its simply a matter of seconds to send a copy of the ORF files to my ORF file folder and the originals to my LR catalog folder where LR can import and convert them to DNG at its leisure.

If you have ever waited to for LR to import and convert to DNG a 4Gig card full of images and render full size preveiws for examining them closely for critical sharpness you will know how long it takes.

As to searching lets try this example I have images of three dogs bella, ben and dexter, now suppose I wish to view only images that contain Dexter and Bella together (not singly) but do not contain any where Ben is in the image.

In ACdsee I just have to type in the search bar dexter+bella -ben. A total of 5 second max including typing to display all images containing only dexter and bella together but excluding any with ben in. Try this in LR and see how long it takes to set it up and do it.

I love LR3 but I'll still be using ACDsee in conjunction with it as far as quick and easy browsing and searching are concerned.

Paul Silk Photography
My Flickr Photo's
OlyPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010   #9
Photocamel Master

OK...thanks. Like I said, I haven't used ACDSee since maybe version 4?
Old 11-23-2010   #10
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 820906

Paul, since you have a Smugmug a/c you forgot a major thing that ACDSee does, and that is upload a photo with a click of a button. For me, that's heaven-sent.

aam1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Image Editing »

Share this topic: