Dry Dock: Composite HDR
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > HDR (High Dynamic Range)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2018   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Dry Dock: Composite HDR

Compsite original JPEG images.
1/100 sec, f/11, ISO 100. Detail in sky and brighter parts of image is good, but shadows are muddy and lacking in detail:
I2906rs.jpg

1/100 sec, f/4.5, ISO 100. Detail in shadows is opened up considerably, but sky and highlights are overexposed or burned out altogether:
I2907rs.jpg

HDR image from HDR Efex Pro 2: Detail in shadows had been retained, the "ghosting" in the foreground branches and tree against the sky is painfully obvious. The HDR halo effect in the sky is also too obvious for my taste:
Anniv20bases.jpg

Old 11-12-2018   #2
Camel Breath

Default Re: Dry Dock: Composite HDR

Final version: darker original version manually shifted and rotated to match HDR version and blended with layers. Top of image, tree, and leaves are from dark original while bottom is mostly from HDR version.
Anniv20as.jpg
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 7101954
Editing OK?: Yes

Lots of work, beautifully done. And the results are worth the effort. Particularly nice job on the haloing. That's always time-consuming for me.
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261
Editing OK?: Yes

Nice work with the processing Alan.
Old 11-14-2018   #5
Camel Breath

Thanks for the kind words, Wolf and Barbarian. This rework didn't take as long as all that. I also see some tweaks that I could have (and should have) made to the layer mask, but the result even as is was an improvement to either original or the HDR. The original exposures were taken before I even had any HDR software and I don't think I even had a tripod with me that day.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > HDR (High Dynamic Range) »

Share this topic: