PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum

PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum (https://photocamel.com/forum/)
-   HDR (High Dynamic Range) (https://photocamel.com/forum/hdr-high-dynamic-range/)
-   -   Photomatix Pro Updates & Discussion (https://photocamel.com/forum/hdr-high-dynamic-range/159726-photomatix-pro-updates-discussion.html)

mistermonday 04-30-2012 08:00 AM

Photomatix Pro Updates & Discussion

I started this thread in the new HDR Photography Support sub forum but since it is new and many members have not discovered yet, I am also posting the message here.

Photomatix Pro version 4.2 is now officially released. You can
download it from:

Download Photomatix Pro v4.2 for Windows (Windows)

Download Photomatix Pro v4.2 for Mac OS X (Mac)

HDRSoft recommends uninstalling any existing beta version from your computer
before downloading the final 4.2 version.
Full details available at the above links.

Regards, Murray

jessea 04-30-2012 08:02 AM

Re: Photomatix Pro version 4.2 is now officially released

Thanks Murray!I was going to update my wife 's pc:I'll do also with mine.

tot31 04-30-2012 08:35 AM

Thank you for the heads up. I just downloaded and upgraded on my Mac

chickpiper 04-30-2012 12:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This looks like a very nice update. Many changes and I love them. My first one :)

mistermonday 04-30-2012 01:41 PM

Very nice, and no halos!
Regards, Murray

capt don 04-30-2012 03:05 PM

Thanks, just downloaded it. I was just getting comfortable with the version that I had and now it's time to put the learning hat on again.

mistermonday 04-30-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capt don (Post 1587496)
Thanks, just downloaded it. I was just getting comfortable with the version that I had and now it's time to put the learning hat on again.

There is not a lot of new things in it to learn but there are a lot of subtle improvements and fixes. Somewhere in their labs there are probably a group of programmers busily working on Version 5.

Regards, Murray

_Provo_ 04-30-2012 08:49 PM

New functionality, color correction tools, sharpening tools a little more refined.
But still not as good at sharpening as SNS in comparison. BTW moving this discussion to the
HDR Photographer Support.

jessea 05-01-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capt don (Post 1587496)

Each day is a learning day:it never ends.You get some,you loose some...

_Provo_ 05-08-2012 09:59 AM

Re: Photomatix Pro Updates & Discussion

I am encountering some problems with the version of photomatix especially for auto alignment
some area's are cut so bad is not even funny. I will post an image shortly to show you.
But this is only affecting auto alignment manual alignment deghosting is working really great.

Have a look at how terrible this came out the whole image is bad white balance off alignment etc..
http://i45.tinypic.com/3309vld.jpg

here's what the originals look like
http://i48.tinypic.com/e0or5z.jpg

jessea 05-08-2012 11:17 AM

Josh,I compared PHOTOMATIX to SNS about water rendition and it seems that SNS is doing much better(Martin will be happy with this statement).And I understand that if you use manual deghosting,there is just one shot which is used(that you can choose),so no alignment problem for the chosen area but the trick is (for them)to fit nicely the area with its surroundings.

mistermonday 05-08-2012 11:57 AM

Josh, this image will be a challenge for many HDR applications. There is high contrast but there are no well defined lines (like walls, linear structures, etc) in the scene. All transitions are fluid and soft/ Lens at f/5.7 also near not its sharpest. This is where the algorithm used by the HDR s/w to merge the images is the magic. I suggest you post the orig RAW files and let the various HDR apps have a go at the set and see how they perform. So far I have found that ever HDR app is good at some things and poor or deficient at other. Maybe one day we will have the ultimate app that excels at all types of scenes.
Cheers, Murray

_Provo_ 05-08-2012 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistermonday (Post 1594716)
Josh, this image will be a challenge for many HDR applications. There is high contrast but there are no well defined lines (like walls, linear structures, etc) in the scene. All transitions are fluid and soft/ Lens at f/5.7 also near not its sharpest. This is where the algorithm used by the HDR s/w to merge the images is the magic. I suggest you post the orig RAW files and let the various HDR apps have a go at the set and see how they perform. So far I have found that ever HDR app is good at some things and poor or deficient at other. Maybe one day we will have the ultimate app that excels at all types of scenes.
Cheers, Murray

Murray the exif was overlooked see at the top portion of the data is shot
at f13 1/60sec ev-5 iso 100 the 5.7 is the speed range of the lens
which is f4-to 5.6 give or take can exceed to f5.7

I hear what your saying about the scene but I should've mentioned it before is not just this scene it's been happening to other set's I have tested it's weird.
BTW the new version when saving to a tiff now it will give you a full tiff and a smaller thumbnail version not sure what the thumbnail version would be useful for as windows image viewer displays tiff files natively.

I did some searching on flickr groups and others are also reporting weird alignment issues. Maybe it's a bug. Still doesn't hinder me from using photomatix I like to experiment and always welcome new software out in the market that is one of the reason's I had come across SNS and had mentioned it here before it gained popularity.

capt don 05-08-2012 08:34 PM

I have been using it and haven't had any problem yet and have what I think are some complicated shots that really have the potential for problems

mistermonday 05-08-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Provo_ (Post 1594887)
Murray the exif was overlooked see at the top portion of the data is shot
at f13 1/60sec ev-5 iso 100 the 5.7 is the speed range of the lens
which is f4-to 5.6 give or take can exceed to f5.7

I hear what your saying about the scene but I should've mentioned it before is not just this scene it's been happening to other set's I have tested it's weird.
BTW the new version when saving to a tiff now it will give you a full tiff and a smaller thumbnail version not sure what the thumbnail version would be useful for as windows image viewer displays tiff files natively.

I did some searching on flickr groups and others are also reporting weird alignment issues. Maybe it's a bug. Still doesn't hinder me from using Photomatix I like to experiment and always welcome new software out in the market that is one of the reason's I had come across SNS and had mentioned it here before it gained popularity.

Josh, If I recall correctly, Windows can not produce a thumnail of a compressed TIFF. If that is the case then that may explain why it has been added. BTW, never compress a 16 bit tiff because the file size will be much larger than an uncompressed tiff. Only 8 tiff bit files are reduced in size when compressed.
A couple of key algorithms were modified in Photomatix 4.2. The only way to tell if that is causing what you are seeing is to run version 4.1 and 4.2 on the same set of source files with the exact same settings, overlay the two in PS in difference blend mode to see for sure.
Cheers, Murray

jessea 05-09-2012 03:25 AM

Josh,contact PHOTOMATIX and propose your raws so that they can check by themselves what is wrong.And the more shots you use the more difficult the alignment:try with a reduced set.Sometimes I use only 2,the most overexposed and the most underexposed and they are shot in a row with my camera,so,if there is any movement in the captured scene it's limited because of a small time range.Last,but not the least,for waves,it's best to set off you shooting when the nearest wave has just crushed and just is about to go back,so its speed is ZERO and the movement is minimal.Last tip:try SNS for the alignment with a natural preset so that you collect the whole dynamic range and then go to PHOTOMATIX for a pseudo hdr without worrying about alignment.

Stiga 05-09-2012 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Provo_ (Post 1594600)
I am encountering some problems with the version of photomatix especially for auto alignment
some area's are cut so bad is not even funny. I will post an image shortly to show you.
But this is only affecting auto alignment manual alignment deghosting is working really great.
Have a look at how terrible this came out the whole image is bad white balance off alignment etc..
here's what the originals look like

Josh, that's a very difficult image set to align as there are no sharp edges or points.

Martin

_Provo_ 05-09-2012 06:10 AM

I figured it out, it was because I had the original 4.1, then beta 4.2 and then the final
some of the files got corrupted LOL

ElBeardo 06-01-2012 03:59 AM

I know I am going senile but I know at one time somewhere in this forum there was a set of Photomatix Presets plus instructions on how to load them. I know that they did exist because I have some installed in Photomatix. I spent about an hour looking for the instructions last night and could not find them, did they go when the Photomatix User Group was disbanded?

Can somebody please point me to instructions on how to load a downloaded preset.

Elbeardo :-)

Stiga 06-01-2012 04:04 AM

Go to FAQ about HDR photography software Photomatix - Tone Mapping, HDR images creation and Exposure Fusion
Then go way down the page to:
How do I tranfer to Photomatix Pro version 4 my presets saved with version 3?

Martin

ElBeardo 06-01-2012 04:49 AM

Thanks for such a prompt reply Martin

This is where the senility is showing I was convinced when I last did it the instructions were somewhere in the HDR forum so didn't look at the Photomatix site. Doh!!!

ElBeardo :-)

paulziets 06-07-2012 02:44 PM

Here's a strange thing I have just encountered - I have lost the Finishing Touches window from my visible screen when using Photomatix. I was working on Processing Challenge 61 when the disaster struck.

After I process the tone mapping of an image, three screens are shown on the Task Bar (Windows 7). One is the grey background, the second is the tone mapped image and the third is the Finishing Touches window. Showing on the screen itself is the background and the tone mapped image but no Finishing Touches window.

I am obviously missing something fairly simple but for the life of me, I can't figure it out. I am fast becoming grumpy with the situation and wonder if anyone out there may have an answer to this?

_Provo_ 06-07-2012 03:02 PM

Your working with the latest version correct?

http://i45.tinypic.com/28cn5w3.jpg

Stiga 06-07-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulziets (Post 1621132)
Here's a strange thing I have just encountered - I have lost the Finishing Touches window from my visible screen when using Photomatix. I was working on Processing Challenge 61 when the disaster struck.

After I process the tone mapping of an image, three screens are shown on the Task Bar (Windows 7). One is the grey background, the second is the tone mapped image and the third is the Finishing Touches window. Showing on the screen itself is the background and the tone mapped image but no Finishing Touches window.

I am obviously missing something fairly simple but for the life of me, I can't figure it out. I am fast becoming grumpy with the situation and wonder if anyone out there may have an answer to this?

A screen grab would help to diagnose your problem.

Martin

_Provo_ 06-07-2012 03:07 PM

just has to click the utilities menu to bring it back up

paulziets 06-07-2012 11:54 PM

Josh and Martin,

Grateful thanks - will do a screen grab this evening to show what I mean. Under 'Utilities Menu', Finishing Touches is greyed out hence part of my battle to solve the issue.

In the interim - off to work at an ungodly hour!

Regards,

Paul

jessea 06-08-2012 05:22 AM

Sometimes,with my laptop,I start a new screen or erase one,just by the fact one finger of my left hand is over the left click pad and touches it without me willing to.In any case,download it again:it's quick!

paulziets 06-08-2012 01:51 PM

Back from the salt mine, thankfully a short week!

I have taken two screen shots to show the problem.

Screenshot 1: shows the 3 windows open according to the task bar - grey background; tone mapped image and the Finishing Touches window. As you can also see, only the tone mapped image on the grey background is visible.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7101/7...8d0222d5_b.jpg
SNAG_Program-0001 by paulziets, on Flickr

Screenshot 2: When I call up the Utilities Menu, the Finishing Touches is greyed out and is unselectable.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7221/7...4ae52bf8_b.jpg
SNAG_Program-0000 by paulziets, on Flickr

I have removed Photomatix Pro 4.2.1 and reinstalled it. No change.

I am sure it is something really simple - only problem is that I am too simple to find the answer.

Regards,

Paul

_Provo_ 06-08-2012 02:36 PM

what if you rezized your photomatix screen and maybe the finishing touches menu is just outside the border window dunno just a thought the task manager shows it so it must be there somewhere off the screen

Stiga 06-08-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Provo_ (Post 1622036)
what if you rezized your photomatix screen and maybe the finishing touches menu is just outside the border window dunno just a thought the task manager shows it so it must be there somewhere off the screen

I've had this problem with other software.
Try altering your screen resolution to see if Josh is right.

Martin

_Provo_ 06-08-2012 05:08 PM

http://i47.tinypic.com/24pbgco.jpg

ward5311 06-08-2012 05:58 PM

After reading about these issues I am concerned. If I delete my old version and install the new one does it recognize my license to use the product? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Randy

_Provo_ 06-08-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ward5311 (Post 1622164)
After reading about these issues I am concerned. If I delete my old version and install the new one does it recognize my license to use the product? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Randy

Randy if you have purchased photomatix have your license # ready then remove photomatix
go to the website download the latest version install it and type in the license # and walla.

Or you can just install the new version in which the license key will auto transfer but then you will have
two versions the old release and the new release which could lead to instability issues

jessea 06-09-2012 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Provo_ (Post 1622170)
Randy if you have purchased photomatix have your license # ready then remove photomatix
go to the website download the latest version install it and type in the license # and walla.

Or you can just install the new version in which the license key will auto transfer but then you will have
two versions the old release and the new release which could lead to instability issues

When a new version of PHOTOMATIX is available,I download it without removing the old one,and install the new one(I have never been asked for my licence key,and I suppose it's because I don't delete the older version),then,after some trials,if there is , in the new version,everything I liked in the old one,I delete the old one.
It works all the time with no trouble so far.So,be confident!

paulziets 06-09-2012 05:49 AM

Update.

Having fiddled and cursed until 01:00 this morning, I slept on it and started afresh this morning. I tried all the suggestions and resized the window, changed screen resolution and reinstalled the software again. Nothing.

Eventually I got bold and eliminated all traces of Photomatix from my computer. I went into Regedit and deleted the HDRSoft folder, went into Program Files and deleted the PhotomatixPro4 folder and finally used a program called CC Cleaner to clean up my computer before rebooting the computer and reinstalling Photomatrix Pro 4.2.1. As I had cleaned out the original Registry folder all my presets had been deleted so it really is an absolutely fresh start.

Long story cut short: I am up and fully functional again! Still don't know what I had done wrong in the first place but thanks to all for the help and suggestions.

Regards,

Paul

Kev2010 06-09-2012 05:55 AM

I just sometimes hate computers!!! Glad you got this sorted.

jessea 06-09-2012 06:01 AM

Paul,you could take a little more of your time to send an email to PHOTOMATIX and,couldn't you save your own presets on an external hd and reset them back?

paulziets 06-09-2012 06:19 AM

Jessea,

I didn't think to back up my presets but should have. It is not too much of headache though, as I tend to use the built in presets as a starting point normally. In theory I should make regular backups of the presets on all my HDR software and this may well be the wake-up call.

Regards,

Paul

jessea 06-09-2012 07:48 AM

Yes Paul,we start saving once we are hurt...

ward5311 06-09-2012 09:32 AM

Deleted old and downloaded new yesterday. Today my system files are corrupt and my conputer will not boot properly. I tried the delete/install procedure again after I realized it restored to an old version. My computer will now not allow me to uninstall. Quite a coincidence. I am now stuck with the old version . This sucks.

jessea 06-09-2012 10:13 AM

ward,if you saved a "picture" of your system,you can restart from that.I do it only once in a while but never had to restore my system on any pc I have...so far.Of course,you have a virus protection?

ward5311 06-09-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessea (Post 1622757)
ward,if you saved a "picture" of your system,you can restart from that.I do it only once in a while but never had to restore my system on any pc I have...so far.Of course,you have a virus protection?

Thanks. I did restore but something was incomplete now leaving me without some functions. I'll call my computer guy Monday. Thanks for the help.

jessea 06-09-2012 11:39 AM

Ok ward,let us know because if it happens to me too I wanna be prepared.I believe my elder son had to restore his system once(W7)and it worked.

Stiga 06-09-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessea (Post 1622829)
Ok ward,let us know because if it happens to me too I wanna be prepared.I believe my elder son had to restore his system once(W7)and it worked.

System Restore on Windows 7 works but only if enough memory is assigned for it.

Martin

jessea 06-09-2012 01:32 PM

What do you mean Martin?I have 8 GB ram but I don't know how it will be handled in case of a restoration?

Stiga 06-09-2012 03:31 PM

EverydayHDR has an excelent video tutorial for Photomatix 4.2 The
Guidelines, Settings, Tutorials and Useful Information
post has been updated with this URL.

Martin

jessea 06-09-2012 03:54 PM

Ok,thanks Martin!

Stiga 06-10-2012 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stiga (Post 1622853)
System Restore on Windows 7 works but only if enough disk space is assigned for it.
(correction)
Martin

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessea (Post 1622913)
What do you mean Martin?I have 8 GB ram but I don't know how it will be handled in case of a restoration?

My mistake, J-C.

A rule of thumb is that System Restore needs an allocation of at least 5-10% of your total disk space.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jessea (Post 1623073)
Ok,thanks Martin!

Hope it's useful. The author seems to cover most things in his video.

Martin

jessea 06-10-2012 05:50 AM

Ok Martin:I have 2 TB on one side(desktop),just half of it is occupied and 620 KB with the laptop but I try to not use this space and I use 2 external hd with the laptop(1TB and 2TB),so,I guess I am safe for this parameter.

Stiga 06-10-2012 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessea (Post 1623622)
Ok Martin:I have 2 TB on one side(desktop),just half of it is occupied and 620 KB with the laptop but I try to not use this space and I use 2 external hd with the laptop(1TB and 2TB),so,I guess I am safe for this parameter.

Yes, you have plenty of free space. But you had better check that your settings
are adequate. This page shows how to do it. I mention this because shortly after
I bought my present PC, I tried to Restore to a previous time/date. I couldn't do it.
When I investigated, I found that not enough space had been allocated.

Martin