Photomatix Pro Updates & Discussion - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > HDR (High Dynamic Range)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012   #11
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 62562653
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Photomatix Pro Updates & Discussion

Josh,I compared PHOTOMATIX to SNS about water rendition and it seems that SNS is doing much better(Martin will be happy with this statement).And I understand that if you use manual deghosting,there is just one shot which is used(that you can choose),so no alignment problem for the chosen area but the trick is (for them)to fit nicely the area with its surroundings.

Equipment: SONY alpha900,SIGMA 12-24,CARL ZEISS 24-70,SIGMA 180 mm MACRO,SONY DSC-R1
Software : DXO,DXOVIEWPOINT,SNS,PHOTOMATIX,AUTOPANO,ACDSEE PRO,GIMP

My gallery : http://www.flickr.com/photos/djeaissia/
jessea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #12
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 169270948

Josh, this image will be a challenge for many HDR applications. There is high contrast but there are no well defined lines (like walls, linear structures, etc) in the scene. All transitions are fluid and soft/ Lens at f/5.7 also near not its sharpest. This is where the algorithm used by the HDR s/w to merge the images is the magic. I suggest you post the orig RAW files and let the various HDR apps have a go at the set and see how they perform. So far I have found that ever HDR app is good at some things and poor or deficient at other. Maybe one day we will have the ultimate app that excels at all types of scenes.
Cheers, Murray
mistermonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #13
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 7324142
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Josh, this image will be a challenge for many HDR applications. There is high contrast but there are no well defined lines (like walls, linear structures, etc) in the scene. All transitions are fluid and soft/ Lens at f/5.7 also near not its sharpest. This is where the algorithm used by the HDR s/w to merge the images is the magic. I suggest you post the orig RAW files and let the various HDR apps have a go at the set and see how they perform. So far I have found that ever HDR app is good at some things and poor or deficient at other. Maybe one day we will have the ultimate app that excels at all types of scenes.
Cheers, Murray

Murray the exif was overlooked see at the top portion of the data is shot
at f13 1/60sec ev-5 iso 100 the 5.7 is the speed range of the lens
which is f4-to 5.6 give or take can exceed to f5.7

I hear what your saying about the scene but I should've mentioned it before is not just this scene it's been happening to other set's I have tested it's weird.
BTW the new version when saving to a tiff now it will give you a full tiff and a smaller thumbnail version not sure what the thumbnail version would be useful for as windows image viewer displays tiff files natively.

I did some searching on flickr groups and others are also reporting weird alignment issues. Maybe it's a bug. Still doesn't hinder me from using photomatix I like to experiment and always welcome new software out in the market that is one of the reason's I had come across SNS and had mentioned it here before it gained popularity.
_Provo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #14
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

I have been using it and haven't had any problem yet and have what I think are some complicated shots that really have the potential for problems
capt don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #15
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 169270948

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Provo_ View Post
Murray the exif was overlooked see at the top portion of the data is shot
at f13 1/60sec ev-5 iso 100 the 5.7 is the speed range of the lens
which is f4-to 5.6 give or take can exceed to f5.7

I hear what your saying about the scene but I should've mentioned it before is not just this scene it's been happening to other set's I have tested it's weird.
BTW the new version when saving to a tiff now it will give you a full tiff and a smaller thumbnail version not sure what the thumbnail version would be useful for as windows image viewer displays tiff files natively.

I did some searching on flickr groups and others are also reporting weird alignment issues. Maybe it's a bug. Still doesn't hinder me from using Photomatix I like to experiment and always welcome new software out in the market that is one of the reason's I had come across SNS and had mentioned it here before it gained popularity.
Josh, If I recall correctly, Windows can not produce a thumnail of a compressed TIFF. If that is the case then that may explain why it has been added. BTW, never compress a 16 bit tiff because the file size will be much larger than an uncompressed tiff. Only 8 tiff bit files are reduced in size when compressed.
A couple of key algorithms were modified in Photomatix 4.2. The only way to tell if that is causing what you are seeing is to run version 4.1 and 4.2 on the same set of source files with the exact same settings, overlay the two in PS in difference blend mode to see for sure.
Cheers, Murray
mistermonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #16
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 62562653

Josh,contact PHOTOMATIX and propose your raws so that they can check by themselves what is wrong.And the more shots you use the more difficult the alignment:try with a reduced set.Sometimes I use only 2,the most overexposed and the most underexposed and they are shot in a row with my camera,so,if there is any movement in the captured scene it's limited because of a small time range.Last,but not the least,for waves,it's best to set off you shooting when the nearest wave has just crushed and just is about to go back,so its speed is ZERO and the movement is minimal.Last tip:try SNS for the alignment with a natural preset so that you collect the whole dynamic range and then go to PHOTOMATIX for a pseudo hdr without worrying about alignment.

Equipment: SONY alpha900,SIGMA 12-24,CARL ZEISS 24-70,SIGMA 180 mm MACRO,SONY DSC-R1
Software : DXO,DXOVIEWPOINT,SNS,PHOTOMATIX,AUTOPANO,ACDSEE PRO,GIMP

My gallery : http://www.flickr.com/photos/djeaissia/
jessea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #17
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 43713362

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Provo_ View Post
I am encountering some problems with the version of photomatix especially for auto alignment
some area's are cut so bad is not even funny. I will post an image shortly to show you.
But this is only affecting auto alignment manual alignment deghosting is working really great.
Have a look at how terrible this came out the whole image is bad white balance off alignment etc..
here's what the originals look like
Josh, that's a very difficult image set to align as there are no sharp edges or points.

Martin
Martin

Once photography enters your bloodstream, it is like a disease.

Software: Too numerous to list but my most used utility is ShiftN for perspective correction

Gear: Canon G12, no tripod, no lenses, no flash, no remote, no cases or bags!

Stiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #18
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 7324142

I figured it out, it was because I had the original 4.1, then beta 4.2 and then the final
some of the files got corrupted LOL
_Provo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012   #19
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 4356

I know I am going senile but I know at one time somewhere in this forum there was a set of Photomatix Presets plus instructions on how to load them. I know that they did exist because I have some installed in Photomatix. I spent about an hour looking for the instructions last night and could not find them, did they go when the Photomatix User Group was disbanded?

Can somebody please point me to instructions on how to load a downloaded preset.

Elbeardo
Old 06-01-2012   #20
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 43713362

Go to FAQ about HDR photography software Photomatix - Tone Mapping, HDR images creation and Exposure Fusion
Then go way down the page to:
How do I tranfer to Photomatix Pro version 4 my presets saved with version 3?

Martin

http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/h...ps79d51b0c.gif
http://i544.photobucket.com/albums/h...ps79d51b0c.gif
Martin

Once photography enters your bloodstream, it is like a disease.

Software: Too numerous to list but my most used utility is ShiftN for perspective correction

Gear: Canon G12, no tripod, no lenses, no flash, no remote, no cases or bags!

Stiga is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > HDR (High Dynamic Range) »

Share this topic: