Two firsts
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > HDR (High Dynamic Range)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2011   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 3144
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Two firsts

I took a stab at some HDRs. Thought I'd share them. This is all very new to me so I'd like input if you have some.

This was my first. I visited Trey Ratcliff's website for the first time; inspired I went right out and tried one. (Though, I'd like to see what Photomatix can do with my pictures instead of using MergetoHDR Pro.) I dislike the edge glow on the tree. I was going for dreamy, but I feel the tree makes it too surreal.

I took this one this evening. It's of a giant oven where they fire glass. Naturally, there was way more than three stops of light that needed to be captured. So, I though an HDR might be appropriate.

C&C would greatly be appreciated!

~Starbucks Jay

Last edited by Jay Delost; 09-18-2011 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: Because I never preview my posts
Jay Delost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 7324142
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Two firsts

Image #1 the glowing around the tree you are making reference to is called halo
this is a result that occurs during tonemapping and post processing when too much strength is being applied to that one area. You want to avoid halo's as much as possible when you see halo's start to show during tonemapping that's your cue to start backing off the sliders & begin to reduce the impact of them.

There's also a len's flare in some images it will work but on others it might be considered a distraction.

Not sure how many shot's you took for this one but my recommendations would be perhaps to use 6 shots (EV -3,-2,1,0,+1,+2) this way with EV -3 at least you can capture more of the sun and the reflection it has on the water.

Iso well this one varies low iso would work well in the shot but the water might appear very smooth and sometimes it might ghost a little if there's waves. So you will have to decide you have to also consider the sun is moving down the sky so you want to capture the scene rather fast so I would say ISO200-320 Fstop F8-F13 varies.

Below is a shot I had taken with a greater EV Range and more multiple shot's but
it gives you an Idea and I explained a few replies below a little bit about understanding dynamic range hopefully it helps. Thanks for sharing your images with us.

http://photocamel.com/forum/hdr-phot...d-florida.html

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > HDR (High Dynamic Range) »

Share this topic: