GTCU #1977 - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Fun Stuff > Guess the Close-up!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #11
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1469207
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: GTCU #1977

Left out a word from my previous post, which I have corrected here to make the quotation make more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
Not part of the mystery object itself but part of the mounting hardware. This is not really cheating on my part because this hardware is more conspicuous than most mounting hardware and is not really intended to be hidden.
Time for another clue. This is from the front of the mystery object itself.

I3468rs.jpg
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #12
Photocamel Master

I am running out of images, folks, so most of my clues must be text from here on out. This particular model is made by Casio, but they are hardly the only manufacturers of these devices. A lot of electronic devices incorporate the basic function of this device into many of their products including that electronic data version of the Swiss Army Knife known as the cell phone.

I do have another visual clue left though: here is one end of the mounting hardware:
I3467rs.jpg
Old 1 Week Ago   #13
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4619695
Editing OK?: Yes

calculator

Olympus E-420 user. Lens: 14-42mm :: 40-150mm :: 70-300mm
Morgan Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #14
Photocamel Master

Not a calculator; I already used one for my GTCU #1918 and I hate repeating myself. That particular calculator model lacks the basic function of the mystery object but its successor, which I also have, does. I have also seen versions of the mystery object that also have a calculator function, but not often, and they are inconvenient to use as calculators. I have used cell phones as calculators, but I find them somewhat inconvenient too because they lack tactile feedback. That can also be a problem with the versions of the mystery object that also have a calculator feature, but they also have another cause for inconvenience as calculators as well.

One other clue: you almost certainly have several objects about the house that perform the same basic function as the mystery object, though not necessarily as their primary function, and maybe some being non-electronic versions and perhaps one or two big enough to qualify as furniture. Chew on that one a while and get back to me.
Old 1 Week Ago   #15
Photocamel Master

Let's recap the clues to Mystery Object #1977 so far:

These things are small enough to load at least thirty or so, even in their as-purchased cases, into a bread box.

It should be clear from the images that the working enclosure is mainly, but not entirely, of metal. New clue: This is generally true of these devices, even the old one, except for the very cheaply-made ones.

The Mystery Object is not line-powered. New clue: It is so small that it would be next to impossible to design a UL-listed plug that would be small enough to fit into it. Even a power brick would be problematic - assuming that it is powered by electricity at all.

New clue: This one uses electricity, but is not line powered. There are older versions of this device that do not use electricity at all.

New clue: There are very few external moving parts to one of these. Post #7 shows one of these. There aren't very many internal moving parts either on this particular model, but older models might have a fair number of internal moving parts.

New clue: the main inconvenience of using a device like this as a calculator has a lot to do with its very small size.

New clue: the mounting hardware adds greatly to its utility. Owing to the small size of these devices, they would be easily lost without this extra hardware.
Old 6 Days Ago   #16
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 3247147
Editing OK?: Yes

watch

COMMENTS, CRITIQUES ALWAYS WELCOME

IMAGINE ALL THE PEOPLE LIVING LIFE IN PEACE
verdesardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #17
Photocamel Master

Finally! Michael, GTCU #1978 is yours.

I3454rs.jpg

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Fun Stuff > Guess the Close-up! »

Share this topic: