Could you guys judge our pics please?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Fun Stuff

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite pic?
Dew 3 30.00%
Flowers 5 50.00%
Sky 2 20.00%
Bridge 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2018   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 30389
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Could you guys judge our pics please?

Hi there,
My fiance and I are in a long distance relationship until we can be together, and we are using amateur photography competition as a way to have some fun. Would you experts and enthusiasts be so kind as to pick a fave pic of these 4, like a contest judge? - and we certainly welcome you saying why and any other critique. We are not yet using DSLRs but hope to down the road.
Thank you in advance for your help! 🙂

1. Dew

2. Flowers

3. Sky

4. Bridge

Old 07-23-2018   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207
Default Re: Could you guys judge our pics please?

I have already voted and am tempted to offer critiques for these images as you have suggested. However, if I do that here and now, it may unduly influence the votes of those who come to this thread after me. It is only a week until the poll closes, so I can offer my critique then.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018   #3
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 22667
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No

Very fresh Voting.
Mary Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018   #4
Camel Breath

I might be able to supply a sample of improvements, once the window closes on the voting and can post the critiques, but I need permission to work on your images and post the results. Would you like me to try?
Old 07-30-2018   #5
Alpaca

Wow scoundrel, that would be great if it is fun for you

We really appreciate the voting and feedback so far
julesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018   #6
Camel Breath

The text of my critiques has already been written, but I may revise it when I see how the edited images turn out. Expect them to be posted sometime on August 2, with edited images.
Old 08-02-2018   #7
Camel Breath

The poll is now closed.

Dew: One of the two better images in the group - my second favorite, in fact, though it nearly tied for first. Judging by the voting, it appears that my choices are pretty much the consensus also. Nevertheless, this image can be made better by cutting out some of the excess at the top and bottom and highlighting the red sprigs in the middle. This also shows the beading droplets most prominently, giving an almost square crop. The green foliage just under the red sprigs also shows some drops adhering to the leaves in a way that the water on the red leaves does not, so deserves some representation in the image. I have therefore cropped some off the top and some off the bottom with no other changes.

Image1rwk.jpg

Flowers: This is the one I voted for. In a way, this has been framed too tightly; the two purple flowers should have been framed in their entirety. If I could, I would have rotated the camera slightly so that the partial bloom at the left, which is too far away to be part of the main cluster, would be out of the picture and cease to be the distraction it is in the present version. The partial blossom at the bottom edge can be cropped away and hence be removed with less trouble. Lightening up the image by increasing the gamma slightly made the image “pop” a bit more, especially the purple flowers that presently tend to melt into the background because of their darkness, though at the expense of flattening out the contrast in the white flowers. A more sophisticated treatment could have retained the contrast in the white flowers.

Image2rwk.jpg
Old 08-02-2018   #8
Camel Breath

Sky: The original version of this image is an “okay” shot with the sky well-exposed but the ground underexposed. Assuming that you know how, lightening and raising the contrast of the ground would do a lot to liven up the ground and make the viewer care about the low-density residential area and the threat from the dark and brooding sky. I do know how to do this, so that is what I did. Fortunately, the band of bright sky between the ground and the clouds should make this relatively simple. Some suitable fore- and middle ground to draw the viewer’s eye into the picture would have improved this image, but that would have required more modification to the original than I was willing to do. Changing your viewpoint to include these elements would have been an easier and better way to do this anyway. This image is my third favorite.

Image3rwk.jpg

Bridge: If it weren’t for the title, I wouldn’t know whether this was intended to be a landscape or an abstract of the bridge railings and support structure. The foreground and the background work at cross purposes with each other. Although you needed some fore- and middle ground to make this image a truly good landscape, the bridge structure is much too prominent for this image to work as a landscape. For a proper waterscape, the camera must be level to avoid the disturbing illusion that the water is going to slosh violently to the side where the water is visibly low, in this case, to the viewer’s right. There is also a noticeable haze in this image, made even more obvious by the relatively darker foreground.

On the other hand, the details of the landscape distract the viewer from the details of the bridge’s structure, made even more problematic by the backlighting that has made the details of the bridge dark and difficult to make out. Our Camelian Rense does a lot of stuff with shapes like this. You may want to get some ideas from his images. In my order of preference, this image comes in fourth.

This is the image I spent the most time with, most of it in separating the foreground from the background. I increased the contrast of the foreground to bring out its detail and blurred the background slightly to further throw the viewer's attention on the bridge structure. I elected not to do straighten the horizon because that would have required that I also straighten the vertical beam with the same image editing tool used to straighten verticals on tall buildings. These two corrections would have required cropping too much from the edges of the image to make the image into a rectangle again, making the cure worse than the defect.

Image4rwkl.jpg
Old 08-03-2018   #9
Alpaca

OH WOW SCOUNDREL! - We are going to learn so much from this advice!!!

Thank you so much!!

(ALL THE HAPPY EMOJIS)
julesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018   #10
Alpaca

Thanks to all who voted - my fiance and I are so happy!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Fun Stuff »

Share this topic: