M42 lenses on a FinePix S1?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Fuji

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2008   #1
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 3200
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default M42 lenses on a FinePix S1?

Hello from Maine,

I was GIVEN a cool vintage lens from Japan! An M42 55mm f/1.8 Takumar.

While I do already have a 50mm f/1.8 AF Nikon lens (also from Japan) that works a treat, I have always had an interest in trying the old manual stuff but without resorting to film. I ordered an adapter from eBay for $11 (shipped) so I can mount this lens on my FinePix S1.

I am curious, have you guys tried anything like this?

Is there any way to tell the date of manufacture on this lens? The serial number is 4999334.

Cheers,
Craig

spystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008   #2
Former Camel

Default Re: M42 lenses on a FinePix S1?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4371c.jpg (137.4 KB, 86 views)
Old 09-23-2008   #3
Former Camel

Hmmm, no replies, I guess I am the only one in the Fuji forum that has an interest in the really old glass.

I also thought some might find my first image clever.

According to Wikipedia's page on Takumar this lens is about 36 years old! That's older than I am. It's circa 1972. I'm circa 1977.

They claim the standards for lenses were generally higher back then - apparently the film was not good so the glass had to be great.

The manual for this lens claims it's glass is made from rare Earth (see attached image) ... Perhaps radiated material from Hiroshima? I should pick up a geiger counter to test this lens

There are a lot of enthusiasts for the old manual focus lenses. Apparently the adapters and the low price have spawned a club. Their gallery contains some amazing images : Manual Focus Forum / Gallery

The lenses are crazy cheap on eBay, I'll pick up a few and test them, comparing them to my Nikon AF lenses to see how they do.

I have always wanted to try an f/1.2 lens, the cheapest I've found on eBay is an old Canon, but apparently those can't be adapted to Nikon / Fuji bodies.

I'll update this thread with some comparative pics when my gear comes in the mail.

Photography is fun Lenses are toys for grownups

Stay tuned
Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lens05.jpg (25.9 KB, 78 views)
Old 09-23-2008   #4
Former Camel

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4388b.jpg (139.1 KB, 78 views)
Old 09-23-2008   #5
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 19805
Editing OK?: Ask First

Perhaps part of the reason for lack of response is that most people adapting M42 (or anything else?) use Canons since they allow metering through the lens. When I looked into the question before buying my 300D, Nikons and the other brands shut off the meter when used with anything lacking full connections while Canon assumed stopped down metering and allowed use of AV mode. (Does yours?)

I have a 50mm f/1.4 Super Takumar which is an excellent lens and still in demand today. The 55mm f/1.8 was less well respected in its day (I had one on my Pentax H3V in the 1960's and it was fine) so you don't see as many traded today. Pentax glass of the day has been known to yellow with age but I have heard that this can be reversed by setting the lens in very bright sunlight for a few days. Mine did not need this tratment so I can't say if it works.

My f/1.4 is a little 'dreamy' wide open but very sharp by f/2.8. Takumars were generally good lenses and respected as the best value for the money (compared to the expensive Leitz lenses) when I got started in the 60's.
Sample at f/2.8:
Old 09-23-2008   #6
Former Camel

Awwwww he's a handsome young lad !!! And the lens seemed to work well. It's a great pic.

As for metering - I don't really understand that... Is metering the same as autofocus? Or perhaps that means the camera will set the shutter speed?

As for AV mode - Is that aperture priority mode?

Yup ... I don't know much yet. But I have just started the New York Institute of Photography correspondence course and will be a smarty soon.

The lenses that yellow with time are allegedly radioactive.

Cheers,
Craig

P.S. Here is a little girlfriend for him :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg copy of Chloe 07103c.jpg (140.4 KB, 77 views)
Old 09-23-2008   #7
Former Camel

By the way Doug, you mention that Canon is very agreeable with the old lenses. What Canon camera body do you think is cheap but good for this purpose ? Perhaps I could sell a few of my other toys and buy that body for testing the old glass...
Old 09-23-2008   #8
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1676

sorry, i did not see your post till now. a 55 f1.8 will be like a 82.5mm lens on the s1. the s1 wound not be able to meter it.
Phoenix 100, 650-1300& Sima 100mm F2 SF
Sigma 12-24, 18-50 HSM, 18-125, 50-500, 70-300, 120-300, 1.4X 2x
Tamron 28-75
badpickev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008   #9
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 19805
Editing OK?: Ask First

Metering is the exposure control by the built in exposure meter. Different models do it in different ways. The number of choices varies with brand but to get the camera to set exposure with full control you need lenses with connections to the meter which is a completely different matter than the lens being held in place. Canon uses a set of gold/brass contacts and does it all with little motors. When you put a lens lacking contacts on the camera, it assumes you want it to expose with whatever whatever light is coming through the camera and that the lens will not be stopped down when the photo is taken. Others read the lack of these connections as an error situation and turn off the meter so you have to set the shutter speed manually. All Canons work the same way in this regard so you could buy any model for the purpose (300D is cheapest but not the best in every regard which explains why there are models costing a dozen times as much). No camera will autofocus with an adapted lens. For that you need a Canon lens on Canon body or a 'third party' (Sigma, Tamron, Tokina etc. made to be used on Canon).

NYI classes are a good idea but the real answer is to shoot, shoot and shoot some more. After years and practice and hundreds of thousands of exposures you will be well on your way to knowing 1% of what there is to learn. Challenging but not depressing....

Cute picture and model - Having a cooperative subject makes it a lot easier but keeping them interested for a hundred thousand images during the learning phase can be a challenge (and explains why I shoot so many insects etc.?).

AV is aperture priority - you set the aperture and the camera sets the shutter speed to give proper exposure.
Old 09-23-2008   #10
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 8523012
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No

I use them regular on my 20D. Afraid to put some lenses on the 5D though.
You can see my list of M42 lenses here

Rense is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Fuji »

Share this topic: