M42 lenses on a FinePix S1? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Fuji

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2008   #11
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 8523012
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No
Default Re: M42 lenses on a FinePix S1?

another fine place to discuss these lenses is the Manual Focus Lenses Forum
Old 09-23-2008   #12
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 3200
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes

Alrighty Doug, thanks for the explanation. I actually knew most of that except the term "metering" confuses me.

I am under the impression that the "aperture" (size of the eye) and "shutter speed" (duration the eye is open) dictates the "exposure" (amount of light reaching the sensor)

Not to mention ISO (sensitivity to light)

When you say "meter" as a verb, you mean the camera will measure the amount of light hitting the CCD sensor and make a recommendation weather it feels the photo will be over, under, or correctly exposed.

And I will have to use these very old lenses in "manual mode" on my Nikon based camera - manually setting the aperture dial on the lens and the shutter speed on the body. The body will not "meter", meaning it will not measure the light and make a recommendation.

But if I used a Canon dSLR instead I could use "aperture priority mode" rather than just "manual mode". Meaning I would set the aperture on the lens and the camera would control the shutter speed based on it's metering.

"metering" is done through the viewfinder.

In "evaluative metering" the camera looks at the entire viewfinder to measure the amount of light.

In "spot metering" the camera looks only at the center to measure the amount of light (very handy for back-lit portraits).

So when I put a manual focus lens on a "FinePix S1" it just gives up metering. But if I put a manual focus lens on any Canon dSLR it still meters them... That's why this Fuji forum is not very responsive to the idea of using manual focus lenses. I see now ...

Is the above all correct? It took me a while to wrap my mind around all that

Cheers,
Craig

p.s. It's fun to post pics. Here is photographic evidence that I am circa 1977 :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg copy of craigb.jpg (122.2 KB, 68 views)
spystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008   #13
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1676

Quote:
Originally Posted by spystyle View Post
When you say "meter" as a verb, you mean the camera will measure the amount of light hitting the CCD sensor and make a recommendation weather it feels the photo will be over, under, or correctly exposed.

right, the S1 will not do this. so to use it on the S1 you will have to use a light meter so you can set the manual exposure, for a proper exposure.
Phoenix 100, 650-1300& Sima 100mm F2 SF
Sigma 12-24, 18-50 HSM, 18-125, 50-500, 70-300, 120-300, 1.4X 2x
Tamron 28-75
badpickev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008   #14
Former Camel

Rense, I looked at your list, you have nearly 50 M42 lenses! That's a lot. Too bad you don't have a sample pic from each one, that would be a hoot.

Especially if you had the exact same pic through each lens, like a studio test, and those who look at your page could decide which one took the best pic.

As for the yellowing of the radioactive lenses - I have read they do not produce enough rads to be harmful. Also, the yellowing produces "warm" pictures that people think are so cool - not realizing the lens is actually yellowing with age. Isn't that funny ? Like a yellow filter.

Cheers,
Craig
Old 09-23-2008   #15
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1676

btw, i almost had my hands on a old cosina 55 1.7 in an ais mount, but the deal fell through when the lens got dropped.
Phoenix 100, 650-1300& Sima 100mm F2 SF
Sigma 12-24, 18-50 HSM, 18-125, 50-500, 70-300, 120-300, 1.4X 2x
Tamron 28-75
badpickev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008   #16
Former Camel

At what point in time did cameras begin to "meter" ? I wonder how far back in time I will place myself when I use a manual focus lens on an FinePix S1.

edit : Google to the rescue, I have found the answer :

WHO INVENTED TTL-METERING ?

The very first patent on a through-the-lens metered camera was registered by the great engineer Karl Nuechterlein in 1940 who has designed the KINE-EXAKTA and was missed as a soldier in the last days of WWII. Men like him could have altered the the fate of German camera industry! Nuechterlein planned (Selen-) photo-cells surrounding the light chute and a semi-transparent finder mirror with a needle instrument be seen though the finder as well as outside (DRP315262, US-Patent 2297428). Alas, this invention was far away from feasibility at that time...

At 5th Feb.1958 the Japanese engineer Takeshi Goshima registered No. 2937582 at the US patent office for CANON. Claimed is the invention of a rangefinder camera (looking similar to the just announced Canon VI-L) with light-metering through the lens. Triggered by a manual lever a photocell swings into way in front of the shutter curtain, metered upside the camera on a scale. This was the first spot-metering patent of the world.

More of that info here

So there you have it, if I couple these manual lense with my FinePix S1 I will be technologically below 1958! I have posted a request in the marketplace forum for any inexpensive Canon dSLR. I have never had luck there though. I will probably have to scour ebay for one.

Do any of you guys have an inexpensive Canon body to sell me?

Just to verify - ANY Canon dSLR will meter the old glass and will work in aperture priorty mode. Correct?

Thank you,
Craig
Old 09-23-2008   #17
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 19805
Editing OK?: Ask First

Correct. You have the idea and terms now. If you are going to try old lenses, you are limited mostly by the physical mounting and how bad an image you are willing to accept. There is nothing to prevent you from mounting the lens from a 100+ year old camera using a toilet paper tube and tape. Most older lenses were made for large format so the sharpness suffers when used on 35mm or smaller formats. Lenses from rangefinder cameras like Leica/Canon/Nikon sold can be excellent but will not focus to infinity on an SLR with a thicker body. That doesn't mean you can't use them for close ups.

Another optical toy that adapts well to the Canon way of metering is the microscope. Adapters are common in M42 and adding a Canon adapter to that puts you in business.

The question is whether you get enough fun out of all this to offset to loss of image quality, autofocus and general convenience offered by the lenses made for use with modern DSLR's. I didn't; others live for it.
Old 09-24-2008   #18
Former Camel

I'm thinking the 10D is the ticket for me. I use a "pro" camera (the S1) and I did not like a "prosumer" camera I tested (Evolt 500). I bet I'll find the 10D is big and has a big bright viewfinder that lends itself well to the manual lenses.

It can't hurt to have 2 cameras

Cheers,
Craig
Old 09-24-2008   #19
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 8523012
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No

I've made shots with all of my lenses of a colored/measuring card, but still need to make this presentable.
Old 09-24-2008   #20
Former Camel

That's probably better than using a model - she'd get tired and grumpy before 50 lenses

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Fuji »

Share this topic: