DPreview posts Fuji S5 pro review... - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Fuji

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007   #11
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 344
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: DPreview posts Fuji S5 pro review...

Quote:
Originally Posted by badpickev View Post
what is amazing is these are the worst S5 pics i have seen. pretty much the same with their S3 review. if you actually look at the S5 pics on photobucket and such as well as dp from the regular posters you will see what the fuss is about.

a side note, we at dp have figured out that acr is one of the worse ways to convert a fuji raw file. yet, dp will only use acr. there are other things to point out, but ill leave it.

my comment on the pics, my S3 with my 50 1.8 at f8 is so sharp, i do not use sharpening. i can not explain how the S5 got so fuzzy.
Well I beg to differ as far as showing dynamic range. I mean, they are not award winning photographs, no, but I think Simon did a good job of picking some situations where it would have been clearly difficult for other cameras to do something.

I will say this- I agree with the 12 megapixel mode. I remember in the S3 days how many tried to say this and that and even when they posted their samples they completely ignored the super CCD artifacts, interpolations, jaggies and what nots. Fuji may as well call it a "super 6 megapixel mode" or even a "8 megapixel mode" and do the downsampling internally themselves like they decided to do in the P&S line (F30/F31, etc.).

I don't know how many tout the image quality yet completey ignore those artifacts at the 12 megapixel mode. On the other hand I will say, the 6 megapixel mode looks quite fine.

- Raist
Old 07-10-2007   #12
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 2121022
Editing OK?: Yes

There are enough stated downsides to this camera - soft images, disappointing white balance - that I wonder why anyone would consider it over a Nikon.
Old 07-10-2007   #13
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1676

what i find amazing is that so far in the real world. i have not seen those problems. there are a few people that complain about wb. but over all not that many.

as for the soft issue. further testing is showing that the stamp color could have been a contributing factor. simon is saying that the NR is getting confused by it. I know my S3 does not take pics like that. so i dont know how far i believe the review.

the end line, the review and the review pics condemn this to a POS camera. the members in the forum tell a completely different story.

the real bottom line is the fuji is a niche camera. it does what it was designed for real well. people that buy a fuji generally know its uses. those of us that chose to use the fuji outside its design point, have to put up with it. i am a mid day shooter in florida. i have to have the DR and fuji color saturation.

but F2 mode at night is magic.
Phoenix 100, 650-1300& Sima 100mm F2 SF
Sigma 12-24, 18-50 HSM, 18-125, 50-500, 70-300, 120-300, 1.4X 2x
Tamron 28-75
badpickev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007   #14
Bactrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDArt View Post
There are enough stated downsides to this camera - soft images, disappointing white balance - that I wonder why anyone would consider it over a Nikon.
The tonal range, dynamic range and film options. The jpegs out of this camera in my opinion are far richer than the D200's. There are downsides, but these particular pro's is what will push me to get it over the D200.

When I was at Samy's and I was about to buy the e-410- on my pre-visit to check it out (not to buy) I asked to test the S5 again. I thought about it, perhaps that was as close as I was to get it. The representative asked me "if you are getting that, why not the D200? It's better" (same thing you say). I basically answered "because the colors and dynamic range of this camera out class the D200's and to me those areas are important if I was going to buy at this range."

I highly recommend if you get the chance to use one and test high contrast real life situations.... it's quite different.

The thing that held me back a bit was the obvious consideration of the amount of cash to spend in a system switch, the incredibly horrible broken interface for zooming in around your picture but ironically I thought that as a plus, to make me stop chimping a bit (but god that interface is horrible horrible)... and of course that the EP-1 is around the corner.

If the EP-1 implements the high dynamic range Olympus patent, my desire for the Fuji is virtually gone. But I don't think they are implementing that patent this round (in fact if Olympus does that it may be in my eyes and for my needs "the perfect camera" which means the universe will collapse in a singularity and cease to exist, as that is currently impossible to happen without destroying several natural laws. I think the D200 was as close to that happening when it came out, and maybe now the e-510).

In the end it came to the fact that I don't want to spend $2,500-$3,00) USD for a 2nd system. I thought that if I got the S5 that would "be my EP-1" purchase, but I tried to go around this one.. think the great lenses I already have and ended up with "no." Maybe a used S3 at a lower price may be the ticked- don't know.

Though I will say I am very happy with my e-410.

- Raist
Old 07-10-2007   #15
Bactrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badpickev View Post
what i find amazing is that so far in the real world. i have not seen those problems. there are a few people that complain about wb. but over all not that many.

as for the soft issue. further testing is showing that the stamp color could have been a contributing factor. simon is saying that the NR is getting confused by it. I know my S3 does not take pics like that. so i dont know how far i believe the review.

the end line, the review and the review pics condemn this to a POS camera. the members in the forum tell a completely different story.

the real bottom line is the fuji is a niche camera. it does what it was designed for real well. people that buy a fuji generally know its uses. those of us that chose to use the fuji outside its design point, have to put up with it. i am a mid day shooter in florida. i have to have the DR and fuji color saturation.

but F2 mode at night is magic.
I still don't understand why the dpreview pictures doomed the camera. I thought as far as showing the colors, tonal range and DR they did a a good (excellent?) job.

As for the softness I did notice the S5 seems softer than the S3, which makes sense, since it also deal with the moire pattern issues of the S3 that are easily seen in human hair and other areas, so that's the price to be paid for that. It doesn't bother me as I still see a good 6 megapixel resolution (maybe as high as 8 dependin on the subject, as Super CCD detail samping usually is variable depending on subject).

I also don't think that the review condemned the camera to be a POS. I thought the conclusion was pretty fair and balanced. The resolution and 12 megapixel picture quality issues are all pretty real, there's nothing made up about them.

If someone needs high resolution landscape shots (and usually real landscape photography requires that), has to look elsewhere. I think that's sensible.

Those who do weddings, that's probably the best match, I also think that's sensible.

I think it comes to matching characteristic with needs, the S5 is not for everyone, but it fits in a lot of places too.

Just my 2 cents.

- Raist
Old 07-10-2007   #16
F1 Camel

use S3's are going below a grand now at keh
Tamron 28-75
Old 07-10-2007   #17
F1 Camel

here is the $300 question:

Is the S5 worth the extra $300 over the d200? you give up speed and get bloated files just to get this much more DR.

edit note: the raw price of the d200 at b&h is $1600 and the price drop of the S5 is now $1800 so its really a $200 question. There is a rebate on the d200 to keep it at $300

The wedges above are created by our measurement system from the values read from the step wedge, the red lines indicate approximate shadow and highlight range (the dotted line indicating middle gray).

for me, a daylight shooter, the answer is yes.

for an average shooter, the answer is no
Tamron 28-75
Old 07-17-2007   #18
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 174
Editing OK?: Ask first

I have a D200 and a D80 as a backup wedding camera. My Quantum QFlash would blow out highlights time to time. Also with shooting in shadows with sunlight poking through at times, the D200 would shoot for the mid-range and I would loose detail on the wedding gowns. Because I can't always "Set up the shoot", I just purchased the Fuji S5 for weddings only and selling my D80. My D200 will still be my studio and fun camera. I will be doing my first wedding with the S5 in a week.
I will shoot the S5 at 6mp because this is what it really is.
Now when the D300 comes out I will probably be upset...

Macsuga is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Fuji »

Share this topic: