Apple-Aperture, Fuji S5 and review/feedback...
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Fuji

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2007   #1
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 344
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Apple-Aperture, Fuji S5 and review/feedback...

If someone is wondering how well Aperture works (or not) with Fuji S5 raw files, let me know and if you can send me one or upload it in a website, I will be more than welcome to test it out for you and provide feedback on what I see.

- Raist

Photographer & Tools/Systems/Gui Vid Games Programmer
Raist3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1676
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Apple-Aperture, Fuji S5 and review/feedback...

do you still have the login to my raw folder? there are 2 there to d/l. for S3 files
Phoenix 100, 650-1300& Sima 100mm F2 SF
Sigma 12-24, 18-50 HSM, 18-125, 50-500, 70-300, 120-300, 1.4X 2x
Tamron 28-75
badpickev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #3
Bactrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badpickev View Post
do you still have the login to my raw folder? there are 2 there to d/l. for S3 files
I probably do.. somewhere.. in the hardisk .. or the back of my brain LOL I need it.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind trying S3 files either. For trying the files make sure at least one of them has a lot of high-light areas to ensure a wide DR (i..e R sensor use)- just to see how Aperture deals with it.

Send me an e-mail - raist3d@gmail.com

- Raist
Old 06-29-2007   #4
F1 Camel

ftp://fujifun:Fujifun1@ftp.badpicphotography.net/
Tamron 28-75
Old 06-29-2007   #5
Bactrian

Ill check tonight, thanks! I am still @ work. Ill post results with conversions on what I find.

I am curious myself!

- Raist
Old 06-30-2007   #6
Bactrian

Ok I will do a quick abstract of what I observed, then post some pictures later.

Aperture was able to open the two raw files that Kev gave me through the ftp link. The default was ok, with the 12 megapixel interpolated file. In many places it looked fine with that in others, like I have seen a couple of Fuji samples, a bit pixelated but not too bad.

The files were fortunately rich in shadows and DR. The night scene has some neon signs that seem at first blown out, but while Aperture doesn't have an SR - sensor DR slider, it allows you to set the EV to the extremes beyond the usual -2 to 2 the program allows by clicking on the numberic setting and holding the mouse button while moving it left or right to adjust the number, past the -2 to 2.

It is when I did this that extra detail in those neon sign areas was revealed, showing Aperture is indeed using the information from the R photosites of the S3, though for optimimum mixing and DR it may require to create to separate images using this extreme EV to then blend to taste in something like Photoshop.

I just played with the "levels" tab and seemed to allow more control but with some care or some of the brighter areas when coming up with detail may look a bit "spot color" (homogenous single color) in those areas.

The other picture Kev sent me was of a sky with some sun-backlit clouds. Aperture allowed to explore from darker to lighter here with a wide dynamic range with relative ease.

I will explore a bit more later and post some variants of the photo. I have to say I love the richness of the data the Fuji SR sensor captures.

Kev, if you could get a shot like this one in raw:

(this is an F710 shot- no surprise! )

This would be cool. Something that clearly uses the R pixels or it would be blown out (set the camera to 400% DR). That way it would be easy to explore how to recover shadows and highlights, as R pixels are exercised well. Maybe a person backlight by the Sun? (but with some landscape behind that is 'over blown').

- Raist

PS: Sorry for the delay guys...

UPDATE: changed the post so the image I put is embedded in the post and not linked to it.

Additional note: the shot I took with the F710 is a jpeg out of the camera, not RAW! (but I want an S3/S5 RAW file of course Just mentioning how even in jpegs it's a nice benefit)
Old 06-30-2007   #7
F1 Camel

we do not really have any tunnel over passes here. but i see what you are looking for. i think a can get a shot like what you are looking for. that shy shot was pretty cool wasn't it.
Tamron 28-75
Old 06-30-2007   #8
Bactrian

That shy shot.. I am not sure if you mean the sky shot you gave me or the under pass shot I did...

But yeah.. I was going to say, you don't need an underpass to do this situation. Here's other ways to get that:

* photograph a statue in a park, back light (sun behind it though not necessarily 100% behind it , maybe say late morning or early afternoon- not quite noon but at a 45 degree angle)

* Same with a person

* If you are in a city (seems like you are) and there are clouds, get to the city and get to a shadow area.. where the sun is casting shadows. and photograph between the buildings, exposing for the shadows where you are in, so that the sky and other buildings that are lit by the sun burn a bit.

Or ideally of course, you get dark shadows and a bit of burned areas. Like that underpass

- Raist

Photographer & Tools/Systems/Gui Vid Games Programmer
Raist3d is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Fuji »

Share this topic: