X-Pro2 or XT2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Fuji

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2016   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 13
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default X-Pro2 or XT2

Hello,
I am a nature and landscape photographer, I currently shoot with Nikon FF cameras, D810,D800. I would like to purchase a Fuji camera for travel and longer hikes and outdoor activities. Should I purchase the X-Pro2 or wait for the XT2 to come to market? Which would be the better choice for my style of shooting and photography interests?
Thanks for the advance.
Wayne

Old 04-19-2016   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Default Re: X-Pro2 or XT2

Not sure what the specs will be on the X-T2, but the X-Pro2 seems like a nice smaller body, a rangefinder. Not as many dials and knobs probably. Both may end up sharing the same sensor, so the image wouldn't be a difference. The X-pro2 is a nice piece of equipment. I'd say it boils down to can you use a rangefinder style and like it more than a "traditional" style body...

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016   #3
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 31066

Which lenses are you thinking of using on the X-Pro2 or XT2?

Are you also considering the X-Pro1 or XT1?
Narsuitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016   #4
Vicuna

I am considering either the X-Pro2 or the soon to be released XT2. My favorite lens are 24-70, 70-200 and a super wide lens. Not sure how Fuji lens match up, currently I am shooting with a FF Nikon D810.
diver46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

Fuji is much more known and appreciated for their prime lens offerings... They have zooms, but the primes are the "win" (at least for now)

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 230434
Editing OK?: No

I did use the 10-24 on my X T1 and works very good. Best thing is to rent a Fujifilm X (Pro2) camera to test it. If it suites your needs.

I also would look at the Sony A7RII. I bought this systeem half year a go and for landscapes it working more then great. Personally I do not use my Fujifilm X Pro1 and X T1 that much any more. It is just what tool you prefer. So different people different needs. Best advise is to test different camera and brands. What suites your needs ?
Old 04-23-2016   #7
Vicuna

I was considering the Sony A7rII, comparing it to my Nikon D810, it is only about 1/2lb lighter in weight. I would like to go lighter, while maintaining the same image quality and dynamic range. Plus I really like a FF camera. It is trade offs, there is no perfect camera. The Sony gives me a smaller body, but it is not a lighter kit. This is why I have not switched as of yet. Thanks for your information.
diver46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016   #8
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 31066

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver46 View Post
My favorite lens are 24-70, 70-200 and a super wide lens. Not sure how Fuji lens match up...
I do not have a Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 FX lens, but I do have a Fujinon 16-55mm f/2.8 APS-C lens that gives an angle-of-view that is equivalent to a 24-82mm FX lens on a full frame body, is weather resistant, but does not have image stabilization.

I use a Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 on my dSLR and a Fujinon 50-140mm f/2.8 on my Fuji X-Pro1. The smaller Fujinon is weather resistant, has image stabilization, and optically compares favorably to the Nikon.

I also have three Fujinon prime lenses (16mm f/1.4, 23mm f/1.4, and 56mm f/1.2) that are built like Zeiss lenses and optically are equal to or better than their Nikon equivalents.

Fast Telephoto Zooms by Narsuitus, on Flickr
Narsuitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016   #9
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 230434
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver46 View Post
I was considering the Sony A7rII, comparing it to my Nikon D810, it is only about 1/2lb lighter in weight. I would like to go lighter, while maintaining the same image quality and dynamic range. Plus I really like a FF camera. It is trade offs, there is no perfect camera. The Sony gives me a smaller body, but it is not a lighter kit. This is why I have not switched as of yet. Thanks for your information.
I had the same dilemma. I started with a Fujifilm X kit. 3 cameras (Pro1, T1, X100T) and bunch of lenses. Then they gave me the a7RII for testing. And for me the weight difference is not that big compared to my old Fujifilm X kit. When comparing with the 10-24 16-55 and 50-140. The Fuji is still not that compact. The IQ and the dynamic range of the a7RII was the game changer for me. This was the reason to buy it. The dynamic range etc is great for landscapes. This not meaning that the Fujifilm X cameras are bad. The a7RII did a beter job for landscapes etc and using it for 90% of my work.

Always found IBIS a waste. But after really using it for over an half year I have to admitted that it works great. I missed once a while the IS on the Fujinon 16-55. Recently bought the Sony G Master 24-70. This one has also no IS. But with the IBIS of the camera I have IS that also does a very good job. When not needing it I can shut it of.

The difference in size I do find minimal. T1 10-24 -- a7RII - 16-35.

The T1 is 186 grams lighter and the X pro2 is 130grams lighter then the a7RII. For me it was not a deal breaker after testing it for a weekend. Still 325 grams less then my old trusted Canon EOS 5D Mark III.

In the case of the Nikon D810 the Sony is 355 grams lighter.

Best thing to do by my humble opinion. Is rent the systems you prefer and test them your self.
Old 05-05-2016   #10
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 194353
Editing OK?: Ask first

The primary difference between the X-Pro2 and the X-T2 will be the former's optical viewfinder (OVF) and off center viewfinder placement. I go back to the Leica M3 days, so the Pro2 feels like home to me. I use the OVF more than I expected. I shoot mounted sports. I put aside my Nikon & 70-200VR to use the Pro2 with the Fuji equivalent. The Pro2 was faster focusing than the T1. In high speed bursts the T1's viewfinder would slow down or freeze up enough to get me off track from the action. The Pro2's OVF doesn't have that problem. Haven't tried the EVF. With the rangefinder's white rectangle, which grows or shrinks with zooming, I can follow the overall action in the scene. The Pro2 will never have a battery grip, so you are limited to the one battery. The T2 will have a grip with two batteries bringing the total to 3 counting the one in the body. The ergonomic transition from Nikon to Fuji is awkward and takes several hundred shots. I use my old X-Pro1 body with the 14mm (21 equivalent), and when the T2 comes out, I'll probably use that prime on my Pro2. The OVF requires more discipline and forethought, which seem to help my images. My brain melts into the SLR or DSLR viewfinder without a second thought. The small, half second pause to think of how what I see in the OVF will look in the final image helps me. Rent a Pro2 to see if you like the rangefinder viewfinder.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Fuji »

Share this topic:

Tags
landscape, nature, travel