Skin tones from S3 - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Fuji

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2005   #11
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Skin tones from S3

For weddings I use F1 and auto WB when using flash as primary light. For ambient, (with and without flash in Church's) I do a custom WB

For studio portraits I do a Custom WB and the auto DR, org, org, std. For outdoor I use auto WB, auto dr, std, and the auto DR, std, org, std.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005   #12
Alpaca

Commercial work (alot of people and* technology): Wide DR raw, org color, std tone, high sharp, Grey card, or preset* WB. I use high sharp so that extracted exif files are presentable as proofs without any post processing. On one of my last shoots, I shot jpeg as well. In reality, it's fine for many things. I shoot jpeg with sharpening set to off.

Event (corporate) : Auto DR jpeg, org color, std tone, high sharp, preset WB to daylight/strobe, or auto WB ( especially with new firmware). I try to have zero post processing, and this camera makes this possible. Most of this kind of work goes to CD for client to print ,or striaght to lab.

Personal/ landscape: wide DR raw, org, std, sharp off, WB auto or preset.

This camera creates a wonderful file !*

P.S. Artichoke, the shot of your father is absolutely captivating. It will be a timeless document in years to come. Nice work. Good to see you over here. You're* one of the reasons I have a S3.
hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005   #13
Alpaca

Default Re: Skin tones from S3: very sweet indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artichoke
the S3's greatest strength may lay in its 14 bit AD converter that renders color very sweetly

the finer cuts of the 14 bit converter makes for more gentle tone transitions that IMHO look far sweeter than the much cruder 12 bit AD converters capture in other cameras
this difference is actually huge as 14 bit equates to 16384 levels as compared to 12 bits equaling 4096 conversion levels
I agree with your phrase "gentler tone transitions" - I am finding that is the key difference with the S3. Hard to persuade some folks I guess, but its a very significant difference (I am comparing with Oly E1 and E300 - themselves outstanding imagers.
richsimp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005   #14
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 13
Default appreciation appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotchkiss

P.S. Artichoke, the shot of your father is absolutely captivating. It will be a timeless document in years to come. Nice work. Good to see you over here. You're* one of the reasons I have a S3.
thanks for the kind remarks
my Dad is a reluctant model, but I love to take photos of him
I am glad you are enjoying your S3
I sure took some heat over at FSLRT ...I really don't understand why some of the folks there got on my case
it seems as if they were on a mission to discredit the camera
Old 09-20-2005   #15
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1495882
Default Re: appreciation appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artichoke
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotchkiss

thanks for the kind remarks
my Dad is a reluctant model, but I love to take photos of him
I am glad you are enjoying your S3
I sure took some heat over at FSLRT ...I really don't understand why some of the folks there got on my case
it seems as if they were on a mission to discredit the camera

Artichoke,
I think you are misunderstanding the motives of the detractors. It isn't the fact that they are trying to discredit the S3, it's the fact that they are trying to JUSTIFY the expensive mistakes they made in purchasing inferior machines. It's a human trait to try to reinforce ones BAD decisions in spite of common sense. They refuse to be swayed by facts because their narrow minds are already predisposed in one direction.
Just keep on, keeping on and do what you do so well. Let them go "suck on a green, slimy rock"!
Old 09-20-2005   #16
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: appreciation appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidebyte
Artichoke,
I think you are misunderstanding the motives of the detractors. It isn't the fact that they are trying to discredit the S3, it's the fact that they are trying to JUSTIFY the expensive mistakes they made in purchasing inferior machines. It's a human trait to try to reinforce ones BAD decisions in spite of common sense. They refuse to be swayed by facts because their narrow minds are already predisposed in one direction.
Just keep on, keeping on and do what you do so well. Let them go "suck on a green, slimy rock"!
I for one am still very interested in what else is out there, particularly the S3. Keep posting images - there is definitely something about this camera and it should be more fully explored.
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006   #17
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 22449

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoShotCafe
I have been using the S3 for 7 months in and out of studio. I did start way back with the S1 then the S2. I have been real happy with the skin tones. Here are a couple of galleries shot with the S3.

http://www.pbase.com/s1procam/sat_afternoon_

http://www.pbase.com/s1procam/personality

http://www.pbase.com/s1procam/im_her_sister

JHF
Those are excellent skin tones. Can you tell me what S3 settings that you are using? I tried the F1 film simulation and it was very saturated. Not attractive at all. Do you use Normal? Also, I was using Tone-ORG, Color-ORG with the S2. What settings are you using for Film, Dynamic Range, Tone, Color, etc.

Thank you
deluco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006   #18
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1676

i used org-org-off with the s2 as well. now i use std-std-std and auto Dr in the wide setting. i use F1 in the day sometimes for the color. and F2 at night with lights.
Phoenix 100, 650-1300& Sima 100mm F2 SF
Sigma 12-24, 18-50 HSM, 18-125, 50-500, 70-300, 120-300, 1.4X 2x
Tamron 28-75
badpickev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006   #19
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 22449

F1 worked fine when I was photographing anything but people. When I did portraits is when I noticed the skin tone problems. I liked the S2 skin tones and I think I can get them with the S3 by using "Standard" film type.

More testing to be done. Gonna go look for subjects now.
deluco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006   #20
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1676

you are right F1 on people is weird to say the best.

Kenko MC7 2X, Pro 300
Nkkor 50 1.8 70-300VR
Phoenix 100, 650-1300& Sima 100mm F2 SF
Sigma 12-24, 18-50 HSM, 18-125, 50-500, 70-300, 120-300, 1.4X 2x
Tamron 28-75
badpickev is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Fuji »

Share this topic: