PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum

PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum (https://photocamel.com/forum/)
-   Fuji (https://photocamel.com/forum/fuji/)
-   -   I'm Looking for an Easy Light Camera for Travel (https://photocamel.com/forum/fuji/194225-im-looking-easy-light-camera-travel.html)

Amnon 11-20-2013 06:45 AM

I'm Looking for an Easy Light Camera for Travel

I would like to buy a camera for use while traveling. One that is easy to use, light, that will shoot RAW, have tele-zoom lens, a reasonable sensor size, and at a reasonable price.

What I am not sure about is the importance of pixels, resolution, type of screen (articulated, tilting or not?), point and shoot or mirror-less.

I already have a good quality Canon EOS camera and lenses but they are too heavy for travelling. Am I better to remain within the Canon family?

All information and/or make/model recommendations would be appreciated.

Amnon

Gautam 11-20-2013 09:44 AM

Re: I'm Looking for an Easy Light Camera for Travel

Look at Fujifilm Finepix HS50EXR & Canon Powershot SX50HS. Both have long zoom, raw, built-in flash and are very similar in price. Fuji has manual zoom which could be useful for accurate framing and also manual focusing. Canon has a slightly longer range and a better IS. Fuji has a 58mm filter thread but for Canon you have to get an adapter for 58 or 67mm filter thread. Both are fast focusing for a bridge camera. Shutter lag is shorter for Fuji but quite acceptable for Canon. If you already have a Canon EX series flash you can use it with the SX50.

Amnon 11-25-2013 04:21 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been to the local shops and I'm weighing between the Fuji X-E1 and Sony NEX-6. I know they are alot more expensive but my logic tells me I'd rather spend more now as opposed to upgrading later which will end up being even more expensive. Also the option of interchangeable lenses is important to me.

I've just printed DP Reviews for both the above and will study them carefully. I'm also considering purchasing used to cut on the price and I have till early 2014 to make a decision.

Thanks again, and if you have any idea, suggestions or comments I'd much appreciate hearing from you.

Best regards

Amnon

korman 11-26-2013 02:35 PM

Ammon,

if you want tele ranges, the lenses themselves add considerably to the weight. You might not save that much. Better look into the micro4/3 cameras by Olympus.

Another very good solution for tele ranges is the Nikon 1 V2 or so. Due to the smaller sensor, the lenses are a lot smaller. This is very popular with the Nikon crowd doing wildlife photography, as the regular 300mm suddenly becomes soemthing like 800mm tele range.

About the image quality, don't bother if you're not a professional. Even the better compact cameras today have more image quality than your images warrant.

Korman

Icebear 11-26-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnon (Post 1990910)
I've been to the local shops and I'm weighing between the Fuji X-E1 and Sony NEX-6. I know they are alot more expensive but my logic tells me I'd rather spend more now as opposed to upgrading later which will end up being even more expensive. Also the option of interchangeable lenses is important to me.

The Fujifilm X-E1 should drop in price immediately since the X-E2 just hit the street. It's an awesome mirrorless camera, and the 18-55 Fujinon is a great normal zoom lens. I just took delivery of an X-E2 and am blown away by the image quality, expecially at high ISO, like 2000-6400. Virtually noiseless jpgs. I haven't shot raw files yet, 'cause Adobe Camera Raw hasn't caught up with the X-E2 yet, but I'm anxiously awaiting that upgrade.

Amnon 11-26-2013 09:54 PM

Thanks for the info but at this point I'm beggining to get confused in regards to sensor size, pixels, resolution. I understand the relation between sensor size and focal length multiplier, and I'm also under the imprssion that a larger sensor means more pixels. More pixels means better resolution.

So, does a larger sensor really mean better resolution? If I'm on the wrong track please expalin.

Amnon

Icebear 11-27-2013 01:06 AM

Sensor size has little relationship to the number of pixels. You can get full-frame (24x36mm) sensors with 12MP (Nikon D700, D3s) and little tiny point-&-shoot (6.2x4.6mm) sensors with 16MP (Nikon Coolpix AW110.) Setting aside the huge role lenses play in the resolution question, yes, strictly speaking the more pixels, the greater the resolution. The little P&S has, in theory, greater resolution than the big pro-bodies.

HOWEVER: Resolution ain't the whole story. Just in case you didn't stop to do the math, the full-frame sensor referred to above is 30 times the size of the point-&-shoot sensor. Since the FF sensor has 3/4 as many pixels, that means each pixel is 40 times the size of the pixels in the p&s camera. Guess which sensor will give you better tonal gradation, low-light performance, etc.

A 3MP camera will give you a decent 8X10 print. Will a 16MP camera give you a better looking 8X10 than a 12MP camera? No, all else being equal. Will a 36MP camera give you a better 8x10 than a D700? Heck no.

korman 11-27-2013 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnon (Post 1991524)
So, does a larger sensor really mean better resolution? If I'm on the wrong track please expalin.

Yes, but the current generation of sensors have reached a level quality, that even the smaller sensors which in theory produce very good results, most even better the professional gear 10 years ago.

If you never print images above 16x12 inches, discussing about the relative sensor qualities is a past-time for tossers who prefer stroking their gear instead of taking pictures.

Korman

Amnon 11-27-2013 09:59 PM

So now I'm totally confused. I already had a vague notion in regards your above.

The stores all want sell product and the information they give is not always without their self interests. So where should I put my emphasis when looking for a camera under $700.

Amnon

279photography 11-27-2013 10:17 PM

Search youtube for the Pentax Q7 reviews, seems like a nice and very small camera.