Any thoughts on the X-S1 vs the HS50?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Fuji

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 507
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Any thoughts on the X-S1 vs the HS50?

I sold my big guns canon, since I found myself primarily using my HS30EXR for pretty much everything

Iric_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1753058
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Any thoughts on the X-S1 vs the HS50?

Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR vs. Fujifilm X-S1 - Sensor Comparison
Interesting comparison shown here. Personally I'd go with the 50, just due to it being that much newer.
Xenol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013   #3
AK
Llama

CamelKarma: 24468
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iric_S View Post
I sold my big guns canon, since I found myself primarily using my HS30EXR for pretty much everything
Hi
After selling your big guns Canon, are you satisfied with the result of HS 30 ?? As I am also planning to sell my Nikon and buy a HS 30 / 50 .

Thanks
A_K
AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013   #4
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenol View Post
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR vs. Fujifilm X-S1 - Sensor Comparison
Interesting comparison shown here. Personally I'd go with the 50, just due to it being that much newer.
Thank you for the information, and your thoughts. I am reading and re-reading them.
Old 09-01-2013   #5
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK View Post
Hi
After selling your big guns Canon, are you satisfied with the result of HS 30 ?? As I am also planning to sell my Nikon and buy a HS 30 / 50 .

Thanks
A_K

I was taking the Fuji HS30 everywhere with me, and leaving the 5D MK II and lenses at home. That's why I sold it. The details aren't as good, but I was hiking more and shooting more with it.
Old 09-14-2013   #6
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 97553

Have had my X-S1 for a little while now, and just got an HS50EXR.

Still getting to know the X-S1, but so far I am very pleased and don't miss my high dollar DSLRs a bit. A really nice camera which takes great shots just like any DSLR. Funny, I attended a Photography class with the X-S1, and oh the sneers at a "bridge camera", from the Nikon and Cannon bunch, but those sneers quickly vanished over the weeks as they saw the silly bridge camera perform right up there with them and all those lenses they have to carry. It was quite fun.

I bought the HS50EXR because it has a couple features the X-S1 doesn't, like slow motion high speed video and the capability to shoot a higher number of faster rapid fire shots than the X-S1. I plan to use the HS at my grandson's soccer games.

Comparing the two, ....... I immediately noticed a difference in the quality feel of the two cameras. The X-S1 just feels high quality, and the HS feels a little rougher. An example is the manual zoom. The X-S1 is so smooth, like it is on ball bearings, and the HS is a little rough, ..... Very functional and not a big deal, but there is a little difference. Buttons are the same, the X-S1 buttons just feel more precise than those on the HS. Please don't think I am knocking the HS, I love the HS it's a great camera' but there is a little difference in the two.

Now the important stuff, .... Picture quality and actual camera function? So far, I find very little difference , and highly recommend both.cameras.
Zectron2348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #7
Llama

CamelKarma: 3092286
Editing OK?: Ask first

Brought the HS50 earlier this year and after a learning curve beginning to be pleased with results. my only quibble is that the batteries last nowhere as long as stated and give virtually no warning of going flat.

I find I have to keep the shutter speed high and if working in S mode on an overcast day have to up the ISO and exposure compensation, if you are shooting at the long end of the lens don't think that IS will compensate for poor handling.

I am thinking of a Canon SX50 as when birding/wildlife I find invariably I use max zoom.

When using JPEG fine the HS50 can shoot 16 frames per second, have got some excellent action shots at my local county shows which featured the Pony Club mounted games and the Devil's Horsemen stunt riding team. Will work on them & post later

Photography is a blend of art and science which involves four stages. 1.Seeing - an eye for a picture, 2 Taking - aspects of camera craft 3. Making - post processing 4. Presenting - the finished article
I have studied photography seriously for over 40 years and digital imaging for 23 years and continue to do both. If ever I thought I had “arrived” or reached any sort of “standard” I would pack [it] in because what I would have reached was a plateau and would then probably be incapable of learning new things……I hope this never happens.
Leo Palmer

kennethwfd is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Fuji »

Share this topic: