Fuji FinePix HS50EXR
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Fuji

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 24993
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Fuji FinePix HS50EXR

Anyone have any info on when this beast is going to be available or how much it will cost?

Fuji FinePix HS50EXR - 16M - 42X Manual Zoom (yup, 42X!)

Just starting to sell off my DSLR and Tamron glass, I think I know what I want to do with the funds

Old 01-08-2013   #2
Vicuna

Default Re: Fuji FinePix HS50EXR

Just found this on CNet's site : Fuji HS50EXR

"The FinePix HS50EXR will be available in March 2013 at a price of $549.95."

Woo-woo!
infinitempg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #3
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1676
Editing OK?: Yes

not that i want to damper your enthusiasm. exr is tough to master. fuji rumors has a how to guide for it.
Phoenix 100, 650-1300& Sima 100mm F2 SF
Sigma 12-24, 18-50 HSM, 18-125, 50-500, 70-300, 120-300, 1.4X 2x
Tamron 28-75
badpickev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013   #4
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by badpickev View Post
not that i want to damper your enthusiasm. exr is tough to master. fuji rumors has a how to guide for it.
I've had a Fuji HS10 since when it was first introduced. In looking at the HS50EXR it appears to be an HS10 in steroids which has answered many, many wishes that I have said for years. Faster burst, quicker writes, remote release, better display, didn't really wish for better zoom but not going to knock going from 30X to 42X. I did have a lengthy learning curve with the HS10 but feel it's second nature now, doubt I'd ever step back to a DSLR (and IMHO it would be a step back). I don't feel the HS50EXR would be much of a challenge, more of a blessing
Old 01-09-2013   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1676
Editing OK?: Yes

well then your all set
Phoenix 100, 650-1300& Sima 100mm F2 SF
Sigma 12-24, 18-50 HSM, 18-125, 50-500, 70-300, 120-300, 1.4X 2x
Tamron 28-75
badpickev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013   #6
Llama

CamelKarma: 3092286
Editing OK?: Ask first

Looking at this with interest. I have considered the XS1, basically have waited because in the UK it was launched at £699 and now can be brought new for under £450.

Does the EXR mode & "intelligent digital zoom" halve the maximum resolution on the HS50, as earlier Fuji models have received some criticism on the basis of being a 16mp camera, but when using these advanced features it becomes a 8mp camera.

Viewfinder size as compared with HS20. I found the viewfinder of the HS20 too small. Is that of the HS50 comparable with the XS1/HS30?

sensor of HS50 as compared with XS!. While that of the HS50 is smaller, one site comments that sensors are improving, the 2011 technology of the XS1 sensor should not be compared on size alone with the 2013 HS50
Photography is a blend of art and science which involves four stages. 1.Seeing - an eye for a picture, 2 Taking - aspects of camera craft 3. Making - post processing 4. Presenting - the finished article
I have studied photography seriously for over 40 years and digital imaging for 23 years and continue to do both. If ever I thought I had “arrived” or reached any sort of “standard” I would pack [it] in because what I would have reached was a plateau and would then probably be incapable of learning new things……I hope this never happens.
Leo Palmer

kennethwfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013   #7
Vicuna

Wish I could help with your questions but I'm upgrading from an HS10 that has served me well to an HS50EXR. While the HS10 doesnt' really have a digital zoom it has a framing method that steps down the capture area which basically does that. That is invaluable with my macro light ring as that tends to encroach on the edges of the viewing area and blocks some part of the picture.

Now I am looking for a quality shop I can get a good deal on the HS50EXR when it's released. Any help?
Old 01-22-2013   #8
Llama

it would seem price will be around $550/£450. i'm considering, given the larger viewfinder (I found that of HS20 too small) and the claim that it can autofocus at rate of 0.05 sec, wrie at similar speed to card and shoot up to 11fps at maximum resolution (max 5 shots).

don't want to just get sucked in by hype which invariably surrounds every new camera, but the claims of the HS50 do seem to address the issues I had with the HS20, is the "new generation" processor really that much of an advance over the HS20?
Photography is a blend of art and science which involves four stages. 1.Seeing - an eye for a picture, 2 Taking - aspects of camera craft 3. Making - post processing 4. Presenting - the finished article
I have studied photography seriously for over 40 years and digital imaging for 23 years and continue to do both. If ever I thought I had “arrived” or reached any sort of “standard” I would pack [it] in because what I would have reached was a plateau and would then probably be incapable of learning new things……I hope this never happens.
Leo Palmer

Old 01-22-2013   #9
Vicuna

Not sure about the processor other then reviews, but considering I'm stepping up from an HS10 and not an HS20, the HS50EXR is leaps and bounds above what I am using. Just sold off all my DSLR gear and got enough for the new Fuji so now just need to find a place to buy it when it's released.
Old 01-29-2013   #10
Llama

following cut & pasted from dpreview site - release by Fuji. Bold text is my emphasis

Valhalla, N.Y., January 7, 2013 – FUJIFILM North America Corporation announces the new flagship FinePix HS50EXR that features a manual zoom lens for high precision zooming over a huge 42x focal length range (24-1000mm*2) and a new ½” EXR CMOS II sensor with phase detection that achieves the world’s fastest autofocus speed in its class of just 0.05 seconds*1.

“The new HS50EXR bridge camera gives consumers a truly amazing autofocus speed of just 0.05 seconds and a wide range of shooting features in an all-in-one design that is more economical and easier to use than expensive and heavy DSLR kits,” said David Troy, director of marketing, Digital Cameras, Electronic Imaging Division, FUJIFILM North America Corporation. “With the HS50EXR, users can capture everything from beautiful wide angle landscape shots to sharp telephoto pictures with its powerful 42x zoom and Optical image Stabilization – no shot will be too far away again.”

New EXR CMOS II Sensor with Phase Detection for High Performance
The HS50EXR boasts the latest FUJIFILM EXR 16MP ½” EXR CMOS II sensor, as well as the EXR Processor II, which has faster processing speeds compared to the previous generation EXR processor.
The HS50EXR now includes built-in phase detection to achieve an incredibly fast autofocus speed of just 0.05 seconds in fastest conditions, along with a new Intelligent Hybrid Autofocus system that automatically selects between phase detection autofocus or contrast autofocus in low light to ensure the optimal focus system is used for sharp, vibrant images.

The new EXR CMOS II sensor and EXR Processor II make the HS50EXR a truly powerful camera when it comes to capturing moving objects. In addition to the 0.05 seconds autofocus speed*1, it also achieves a start-up time of 0.5 seconds*3, and interval time between shots of just 0.5*4 seconds. And by using the Continuous Shooting mode, the HS50EXR can shoot in burst mode of 11fps at the full 16MP resolution (up to 5 frames)*4 and seamless 5.5fps shooting at 8MP resolution. Combined, these technologies mean that you will never miss that crucial shot, no matter how fast your subject is moving.

I would like to see a copy of the owner's manual. One of the reasons for upgrading from a Fuji 9500 was a crop of an action shot which went from 9mp to 325kb, too small for me.

The HS series has taken some flak in that the EXR modes are only avaliable at 8mp, which I note while Fuji emphasise this & the "intelligent digital zoom" of the XS1 likewise, do not make it clear regarding only 8mp, one opinion has been "If its advanced features can only be used at 8mp, it should be advertised as a 8mp, not a 16mp camera"

still, I've seen some good examples taken with the XS1. I kept a Raynox 1.7 teleconverter, hope this works with the HS50, I found I could not get along with the tiny viewfinder of the HS20. when you consider my other gear, the Canon bodies both have grips, and I rarely seem to use my monopod even with the Sigma lens, yes I find the HS20 too small for my liking. and i hope that this is accepted as my opinion, unlike on another forum "uninformed people who knock fuji cameras without owning one" (I have no intention of replacing my S2 & S3pro bodies, would buy a S5pro if one came along at the right price)

Amazon US are quoting $499.95, Amazon UK £419.99 for HS50

Leo Palmer

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Fuji »

Share this topic: