Fuji FinePix HS50EXR - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Fuji

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013   #21
Llama

CamelKarma: 3092286
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Fuji FinePix HS50EXR

there's an active thread on this forum with some stunning pictures

Fujifilm HS50 EXR has arrived ! - Page 8 - BirdForum

i've just brought mine, awaiting delivery, but have have been able to try it out at my local camera shop.

The HS50 addresses the issues I had with the HS20. It's larger, though not quite the size of the XS1.
Viewfinder much improved
What is absolutely fantastic is that it switches on almost instantly, and autofocusing is quick and accurate even in dull overcast drizzly conditions at maximum zoom. My Sigma 150 - 500 would just not autofocus in such poor light.

Can't wait for mine to arrive and get going.
The HS20 was criticised for maximum resolution in the EXR mode being only 8mp. I see no reference to this in the HS50 manual. Apparently the full manual does not come with the camera but can be downloaded here http://www.fujifilm.eu/uploads/tx_fu...manuals_01.pdf

Burst rate - 11fps at max resolution subject to max of 5 shots. At 8mp, you can continue to shoot until memory full

Much faster write time.

digital zoom can double the length, but only at 8mp and the manual warns that results may not be as good. Basically, the camera multiplies the resolution by either 1.4 or 2.0 when processing

Anti blur technology - yes I was shooting hand held at 1000mm
Photography is a blend of art and science which involves four stages. 1.Seeing - an eye for a picture, 2 Taking - aspects of camera craft 3. Making - post processing 4. Presenting - the finished article
I have studied photography seriously for over 40 years and digital imaging for 23 years and continue to do both. If ever I thought I had “arrived” or reached any sort of “standard” I would pack [it] in because what I would have reached was a plateau and would then probably be incapable of learning new things……I hope this never happens.
Leo Palmer

kennethwfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013   #22
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 273836
Editing OK?: Yes

Hand-held at 1000mm using what speed? No blur?
Thank you for the link to the other thread. Very interesting.
john339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013   #23
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 24993
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by john339 View Post
Was on a short hike a few days ago and played with the zoom. Saw a single orange hanging in a wild orange tree far in the distance and this was zoomed out fully, the orange is just right of the center but from this distance you really can't make it out in the shot :

When I fully zoomed in this is the image I snapped, can't tell you specifics on camera settings as I was in program mode and ISO 100 for the macro shots I was trying so aperture and shutter were automatic.

These are totally untouched but reduced down to 800 pixels wide so they don't choke my cr@ppy wifi connection here. And hand held walking down the trail, no tripod.

Still playing....
infinitempg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013   #24
Llama

Quote:
Full auto setting. That is why I am really impressed with the HS50. hopefully mine will arrive Wednesday, can't wait to find some birds or other small distant objects.
Photography is a blend of art and science which involves four stages. 1.Seeing - an eye for a picture, 2 Taking - aspects of camera craft 3. Making - post processing 4. Presenting - the finished article
I have studied photography seriously for over 40 years and digital imaging for 23 years and continue to do both. If ever I thought I had “arrived” or reached any sort of “standard” I would pack [it] in because what I would have reached was a plateau and would then probably be incapable of learning new things……I hope this never happens.
Leo Palmer

Old 04-01-2013   #25
Vicuna

Okay, was doing some yard work today and figured I'd snatch up the HS50EXR and pop a couple quick shots. Not the best quality but these are a full auto. This is a zoomed out shot from my side yard and inside the little red circle is the area I zoomed in on :

I had taken my trailer hitch plug and placed it on a corner fence post and this is it fully zoomed in and not cropped :

Just wanted to give a grasp of how much zoom power you have with the HS50EXR. And don't forget when you get close you can snap shots like this without ever changing your lens :

So far I'm liking the new toy!
Old 04-03-2013   #26
Llama

Quote:
got mine yesterday, results from first outing, handheld @ 1000mm (max zoom) A mode
Attached Images
File Type: jpg siskin1a.jpg (99.3 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg siskin2a.jpg (115.1 KB, 63 views)
Leo Palmer

Old 04-04-2013   #27
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethwfd View Post
got mine yesterday, results from first outing, handheld @ 1000mm (max zoom) A mode
Nice shots, hand held? Did you use the digital zoom on top of the optical zoom?

One thing I need to figure out. When shooting shutter priority and crank it up to something like 1/2500 I have to crank the exposure setting wide open to get light enough shots even in sunlit situations. I can understand that but what I see through the viewfinder is totally washed out, massively overexposed look. But then when I snap the shot and it displays for a couple seconds, it's extremely dark. I thought the viewfinder was WYSIWYG Not sure why this disparity between what the viewfinder shows and what the shot looks like.

I upgraded from my HS10 and I can tell you one thing I flip over, burst write speed. With the HS10 I'd fire off a half dozen shots and would wait 30 seconds for it to write them. With the HS50EXR I can blast a load of shots and within a second it's really to roll again. I am sure the higher HS models were better, too, but coming from an HS10 it blows my socks off
Old 04-07-2013   #28
Llama

handheld. I don't use the digital zoom option because you are then limited to 8mp max. I notice the same with s option, really want to use it to get some action shots.

Agree that the extra zoom over the earlier models and burst/write speed fantastic.
Leo Palmer

Old 04-08-2013   #29
Vicuna

Quote:
handheld. I don't use the digital zoom option because you are then limited to 8mp max. I notice the same with s option, really want to use it to get some action shots.
I'm not expecting to have my shots printed on posters, at most web albums and friends. If I crank the digital zoom for a nice view it saves me from cropping the shot later. Still makes for a nice JPG image.

Quote:
Agree that the extra zoom over the earlier models and burst/write speed fantastic.
Definitely! Can you take a shutter priority shot at 2500-3000 and get the viewfinder to display what the picture ends up looking like? That washing out of the viewfinder display yet the picture is dark is concerning me.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Fuji »

Share this topic: