Any S5 pro users out there? - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Fuji

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013   #11
Llama

CamelKarma: 3092286
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Any S5 pro users out there?

By zooming in to the finished product to see how large an image can be magnified before loss of quality becomes obvious. I can magnify the S5pro images far larger than s2 or s3pro images before loss of quality becomes apparent.

Market value is also an indicator, the S5pro commands a higher price

The s5pro is based around the Nikon d200, while earlier versions of the fuji s--pro series a Nikon film camera

read about the improved features of the S5pro here Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Review: Digital Photography Review
Photography is a blend of art and science which involves four stages. 1.Seeing - an eye for a picture, 2 Taking - aspects of camera craft 3. Making - post processing 4. Presenting - the finished article
I have studied photography seriously for over 40 years and digital imaging for 23 years and continue to do both. If ever I thought I had “arrived” or reached any sort of “standard” I would pack [it] in because what I would have reached was a plateau and would then probably be incapable of learning new things……I hope this never happens.
Leo Palmer

kennethwfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013   #12
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 197845

I used an s5 as a studio camera doing primarily high school senior portraits and some families. This was a great camera with great dynamic range. I never shot raw with this camera because dynamic range in jpg was sufficient to get great exposures 95% of the time. Very rarely did I ever blow out a highlight.

It is a shame that Fuji stopped making DSLR's because they had one of the best sensors out there.
Sbode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013   #13
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1495882
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethwfd View Post
By zooming in to the finished product to see how large an image can be magnified before loss of quality becomes obvious. I can magnify the S5pro images far larger than s2 or s3pro images before loss of quality becomes apparent.

Market value is also an indicator, the S5pro commands a higher price

The s5pro is based around the Nikon d200, while earlier versions of the fuji s--pro series a Nikon film camera

read about the improved features of the S5pro here Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Review: Digital Photography Review
I am well aware of the construction qualities of both but my question was related to IQ because you can't believe reviews entirely, best get it from the horses mouth.
I currently have and use a Fuji S2, Nikon D2x and a D200 that the S5 is built from but the all have different IQ's. In reading reviews from so called experts Like Thom, Reichman etc. they all seem to have a completely different result from the S5, some good some not so good.
I love the images from my S2 but am always in fear it's going to the "Dead camera in the sky" junk pile and I am going to replace it with either the S3 or S5 NOT based on ergonomics but entirely by IQ.
Old 03-06-2013   #14
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 197845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidebyte View Post
I am well aware of the construction qualities of both but my question was related to IQ because you can't believe reviews entirely, best get it from the horses mouth.
I currently have and use a Fuji S2, Nikon D2x and a D200 that the S5 is built from but the all have different IQ's. In reading reviews from so called experts Like Thom, Reichman etc. they all seem to have a completely different result from the S5, some good some not so good.
I love the images from my S2 but am always in fear it's going to the "Dead camera in the sky" junk pile and I am going to replace it with either the S3 or S5 NOT based on ergonomics but entirely by IQ.
Image quality especial color balance is substantially better with the s5 at least for portrait work. I no longer use the s5 since I've retired form studio work but it was a great improvement over the s2 and s3 in my opinion. I never used my s5 away from the studio so I can't really comment on its use in available light situations. All my outdoor portrait photography was done with canon 50d or 5d mark2.
Sbode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #15
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidebyte View Post
... I am going to replace it with either the S3 or S5 NOT based on ergonomics but entirely by IQ.
Definitely S5. I had S2, S3 than S5.
Images are softer than from S3, but color quality is much better. The color from S3 is more like from S2, when S5 is more natural w/o Nikon color flatness.

My S5 is well pass 200K and I'm shopping for next one; NOT a new Nikon but old Fuji.
Best of all, in poor light (on high ISO) gives grain, not digital noise!
lazycatstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013   #16
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 31066

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
Any S5 pro users out there?
A few years ago, I went into a camera shop with a Nikon lens, a CompactFlash memory card, and a laptop computer. I took a used Fuji S5 off the shelf and a new Nikon D300 out of the box and took a few test shots. Both cameras performed well and felt good in my hands. However, I preferred the image quality of the S5 to the D300. I walked out the store (after paying for it) with the S5.

I primarily use my S5 for weddings, portraits, landscapes, macro/close-ups, still lifes, and candids. I have used it for architectural, action/sports, and high ISO available light shooting but I have other cameras that do a better job in those situations.

I have been so pleased with the performance of my S5 that I purchased a second body. After Fuji decided to discontinue the S5, I purchased a backup body that is still brand new in an unopened box.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11336821@N00/5349713478/

Narsuitus is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Fuji »

Share this topic: