HS-20EXR first impressions - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Fuji

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2011   #21
Llama

CamelKarma: 7351
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: HS-20EXR first impressions

Nice thing about the Oly is that last frame. Seems the Fuji, at exactly the same settings as the Oly, captured way more light, bleaching out parts of the photo. See the huge impact crater at the south end of the moon, on the Oly it's quite visible, but washed out on the Fuji. However the Oly has about 3 times the compounded noise of the Fuji.
Chromenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011   #22
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 13247
Editing OK?: Ask first

WOW CN!!
Yeah was windy today and I JUST got the camera yesterday.
I wanted to give it a test that never worked for me even with a DSLR!
Man I was amazed....can't wait to take this thru some of it's other technical marvels!
Old 10-14-2011   #23
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Nice thing about the Oly is that last frame. Seems the Fuji, at exactly the same settings as the Oly, captured way more light, bleaching out parts of the photo. See the huge impact crater at the south end of the moon, on the Oly it's quite visible, but washed out on the Fuji. However the Oly has about 3 times the compounded noise of the Fuji.
Probably nothing that couldn't be fixed by minimal post processing?
Old 10-14-2011   #24
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphyFotoz View Post
WOW CN!!
Yeah was windy today and I JUST got the camera yesterday.
I wanted to give it a test that never worked for me even with a DSLR!
Man I was amazed....can't wait to take this thru some of it's other technical marvels!
You'll love it, believe me. I bought the Oly as a backup to my DSLR's. Now my DSLR's are retired to wedding photos and portraits. The Fuji goes with me everywhere! Tell you something else it one-up's every other sub-DSLR out there.... I buy regular Alkaline AA batteries for it. I get something like 1100 exposures on average before having to dump them! That is like unbelievable! Even my pocket PAS digitals don't last that long. Of course, it depends on the type of exposures, what options you choose, and any extra's you're running like the lighting, etc.

Speaking of which, one of the thing I like the very best about this one, it's got a hot shoe!!!!! I have over a dozen sub-DSLR wanna-be;s and not one has a hot shoe!
Old 10-14-2011   #25
Llama

Quote:
Probably nothing that couldn't be fixed by minimal post processing?
Oh hell no, these photos you see - the Oly's, have been through more than an hour of post work. Good luck making it any better! Course, I'm sure I can back out more noise on the originals, but the problem is the loss of clarity when you do that.

I tried to get both about the same, but too much post work doesn't equal out. The Fuji captures I posted, those have about 5 minutes each of post processing work.

NO COMPARISON.

oops, re-read your post - yes you are right, but as stated above, I spent minimal time on the Fuji shots and max on the Oly's to get them similar. I'm sure I can bring out more detail on the Fuji captures if I wanted to spend more time. The intent was to compare the two, and I didn't want to do all the work in post. If I could get a clear look of the moon tonight I'd do some natives and no post work, and paste them here for another comp, but it's cloudy out.
Old 10-15-2011   #26
Vicuna

I got tired of carrying a bulky DSLR everywhere and the cost of lenses were killing me.
Bulky yeah when I go on nature hikes and go on MTB trips.
Not to mention those damn battery packs were expensive and didn't seem to hold a charge all that great for me.
Having AA Batts is so versatile and if the crap the bed outta town I can buy em about anywhere.
Yeah I'm that paranoid....even if I carry new ones with me.
Old 10-15-2011   #27
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
You'll love it, believe me. I bought the Oly as a backup to my DSLR's. Now my DSLR's are retired to wedding photos and portraits. The Fuji goes with me everywhere! Tell you something else it one-up's every other sub-DSLR out there.... I buy regular Alkaline AA batteries for it. I get something like 1100 exposures on average before having to dump them! That is like unbelievable! Even my pocket PAS digitals don't last that long. Of course, it depends on the type of exposures, what options you choose, and any extra's you're running like the lighting, etc.

Speaking of which, one of the thing I like the very best about this one, it's got a hot shoe!!!!! I have over a dozen sub-DSLR wanna-be;s and not one has a hot shoe!
My Canon SX20 has a hot shoe.
But for me it was a tad smaller than I like for a Prosumer camera.
My external flash is as big as the SX20.....I use an OLD Vivatar Thyristor 5600.
Yeah it's old as hell but I got it at a garage sale this summer for $10 and it looks and works excellent!!
I like the fact that the HS20 is the size of a Small DSLR (Maybe a Canon Rebel?) I like a beefy Prosumer.
Old 10-23-2011   #28
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261

I've taken the plunge for the HS-20EXR this week and am very pleased with the initial results.
Old 10-23-2011   #29
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfd View Post
I've taken the plunge for the HS-20EXR this week and am very pleased with the initial results.
Let us know what you like and don't like!
Old 10-23-2011   #30
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261

Quote:
Let us know what you like and don't like!
Will do. My initial reaction is that with all those options / buttons I will need to use it for a while to get used to it. The menus / buttons are quite different from my Pentax DSLRs.

- Chase Jarvis
wolfd is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Fuji »

Share this topic: