S3: What's your opinion?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Fuji

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2005   #1
Jay
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default S3: What's your opinion?

I have an S2 and have been displeased with some of its shortcomings, especially the dual battery situation. Does anyone out there own an S3?

I'd love to hear your personal opinions about the camera. Is it a worthwhile upgrade, or should I be looking at Nikon bodies?

I bought the S2 primarily for studio work and for its skin tone rendition.

Old 07-18-2005   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 40
Default Re: S3: What's your opinion?

Jeez, bad experience.

What's the aftermarket giving for used S-cameras? Are they going down the drain?

My "buy low" mentality makes me wonder whether this is actually a good time to pick up a used S2.
Alice Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 16

Its been slaughtered by many critics. mainly too expensive...overrated........poor design/ performance etc.......

It has good DR though. I have an S2 its a good camera. But not amazing anymore.
caribou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005   #4
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay
I have an S2 and have been displeased with some of its shortcomings, especially the dual battery situation. Does anyone out there own an S3?

I'd love to hear your personal opinions about the camera. Is it a worthwhile upgrade, or should I be looking at Nikon bodies?

I bought the S2 primarily for studio work and for its skin tone rendition.
S3 is an altogether different beast from the S2. Many shortcomings have been overcome. Gone is the dual battery arrangement, the slippery grip, the medicore LCD, the blown highlights.
It no speed demon and its pointless to think it is - although I don't doubt that with timing it can turn in some outstanding images in action subjects.

Most impressive for me are the smooth tonal transitions - in other words for images in fairly normal lighting, the result is quite different from the S2 - which are almost crude by comparison side-by-side. The DR is there of course, and histograms seem to end up perfectly centred - never a blown highlight. Only the Auto WB needs a firmware fix. Some point to "muddy" images from the S3 using Wide 2 DR setting - but it's simplicity itself to PP and bring out however much "punch" you want.
richsimp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005   #5
Alpaca

I have 2 S3 cameras and - while there are a number of issues, it is by far the finest camera that I have ever used - including my nikons, hasselblads, mamiyas, and leica. I have shot around 30,000 portraits with Fuji S1, S2, S3 cameras, and my experience says that the S3 will give me about 1/2 stop more detail in the deep black areas while not blowing out the highlights. To see an extensive list of kvetches on the S3, see my article at http://www.dppa.net/newsletter.pdf.
misterdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005   #6
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 32

does the s3 give you as much range as film? I was talking to a pro the other day who uses an s2 in his studio but for outdoor work still uses film. my e-300 and d70 are great but often you have to either blow highlights or block up your shadows and then try to adjust in post. I almost got the s2 when I was starting (sample shots I saw from it looked fantastically sharp) but it didn't seem like such a good body for wandering about (better for the studio I thought).

My d70 lenses would work on the s2 or s3 correct?
Old 07-19-2005   #7
Alpaca

I have two S1s and an S2 and now the S3. I like the S1s - the S2 seems soft to me as well. I sent it back once to Fuji and they said it was fine. Well, they sure must not have the same eyes I have. And it has a hot red pixel on it. I asked them to check that too but I don't think they did.

I LOVE the S3 - been using it for weddings for the past three months. I haven't let loose of it for my husband to use. I guess I'm being selfish but it just does such a great job in tone and exposure.

I tried the S2 and found I didn't care for the softness and tonal quality. We are using it just in studio, not on location at all. It is sufficient for that.

I have a friend who is a commercial photographer. He bought both the Kodak and the Fuji S3. He says the Fuji runs rings around the more expensive Kodak.

Hope this helps someone else. Sandra in Sacramento
sandrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005   #8
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1676
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartcons
does the s3 give you as much range as film? I was talking to a pro the other day who uses an s2 in his studio but for outdoor work still uses film. my e-300 and d70 are great but often you have to either blow highlights or block up your shadows and then try to adjust in post. I almost got the s2 when I was starting (sample shots I saw from it looked fantastically sharp) but it didn't seem like such a good body for wandering about (better for the studio I thought).

My d70 lenses would work on the s2 or s3 correct?
From what I have seen the S3 easily has the DR. Its how you get it that some poeple had issues with. Most DSLR's you expose to not blow the highlights. With the S3 you expose for the shadows and let the highlights blow. You then recover them in ps whith the shadow/highlight tool. The body is much better, my S2 has fallen a few times and is still rock solid. The S3's body feels so good, I now think less of my S2. The S3 takes nikon F mount lenses.
Phoenix 100, 650-1300& Sima 100mm F2 SF
Sigma 12-24, 18-50 HSM, 18-125, 50-500, 70-300, 120-300, 1.4X 2x
Tamron 28-75
badpickev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005   #9
Llama

CamelKarma: 40

Hi, Mark. Hope to hear more from you.
Alice Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005   #10
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartcons
does the s3 give you as much range as film? I was talking to a pro the other day who uses an s2 in his studio but for outdoor work still uses film. my e-300 and d70 are great but often you have to either blow highlights or block up your shadows and then try to adjust in post.
Hi, to answer the film range question, I guess the S3 latitude is still smaller than negative film. It is clearly better than all other DSLRs I have seen, also the D2x of course which has a too strong contrast for my taste, but the DR in film is still better - lets say the S3 has not a film look although many people seem to suggest that.

I generally like the S3 output very much, also the body is much nicer to hold and use than the S2, I find the D2x too big and heavy.
I dont mind the slow RAW performance, but in RAW the results are visibly cleaner from artefacts.

The S3 is more demanding to lenses as other DSLRs, so only very good glass can show how good the S3 can be.

And the extra DR shows up in the way that I almost never have blown highlights.

regards, Bernie

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Fuji »

Share this topic: