FUJI X100!!! Finally Fuji, you got to 2010! - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Fuji

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2010   #11
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 21077
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No
Default Re: FUJI X100!!! Finally Fuji, you got to 2010!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidebyte View Post
Niche camera that will sufice for a few but without a zoom, even a moderate zoom they will never be popular. I can't believe the marketing mentality of Asian manufactures who sell on the world market. The largest investment by any manufacture is R&D and tooling. It's as though they never do market surveys before they pull the string and just hope it works for them. Great manufacturing abilities but IMO they couldn't sell Sex on a Troop Train.
I don't necessarily agree w/ the zoom thing. I think many photogs are getting tired of the bulk dslr and bulk zooms when not needed. Especially for travel, nature, and street photography. I want a digital rangefinder w/ a 24 2.8 and 90 2.0 equivalent interchangeable prime lenses. Maybe a small zoom.

Check out these comparisons:

http://www.digitalrev.com/en/fujifil...2-article.html

http://jaxonsreview.com/super-premiu...fujifilm-x100/

mjcmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010   #12
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 682
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes

Sexy looking camera.. 3 stop ND filter..very cool..
As far as the zoom..well my feet work just fine
scorpio_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010   #13
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_e View Post
Sexy looking camera.. 3 stop ND filter..very cool..
As far as the zoom..well my feet work just fine
Lately I was shooting with 24mm on my S5 and zooming with my foot was no problem
As long as I can AFFORD it, it will be great camera for me!
lazycatstudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010   #14
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

How about their own official site.....?

Home | The FinePix X100 Professional Photographer's compact digital camera from Fujifilm

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010   #15
Vicuna

Thanks for the link. I can't wait for this camera. This could be the camera I've been waiting for. I love the simplicity of design and manual controls. I've been holding off on buying a quality DSLR. I just want to take photos w/o all the bulky DSLR stuff.

If this is a success does this mean a full frame sensor camera w/ 2 or 3 small interchangeable lenses is next. Maybe a 35mm 1.8 and a 90mm 1.8 or a 24 2.8, 50 1.8, and 105 2.0. Super quality without Leica prices.

Old 12-15-2010   #16
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 690429
Editing OK?: Yes

Some Critical remarks, odd design choices -IMO -

I too have been eyeing this camera from the day it was announced, it looks like a nice 'digital upgrade' for my ancient Rollei 35SE

Now that more details surface, and more is known, I have the following to add - FWIW - :

- RAW is still at 12 bit color depth, while all the other mfg's are now shipping 14 bit color depth sensors in their DSLR's - coming from 12 bit moving to 14 bit (Canon EOS 20D to 40D) I have experienced a noticeable increase in color-transient-smoothness, especially worthwhile for *me* as a 'portraitteers' (the blurred background gets more 'buttery'), but will undoubtedly also be appreciated by the 'landscapers' who try and catch the beauty and variety of the fall-colors.

- RAW button on camera: according to the latest info this button - adds a RAW to the JPG when standard shooting JPG, in review mode you can 'process the RAW file in-camera...

IMO any serious photographer will shoot either full RAW only, or RAW+JPG by default, in-camera RAW processing has a 'consumer-gimmick' touch to it which I fail to see important for the targetted audience ('pro-shooters')

- The body shows direct access to shutterspeed (top-dial), exposure compensation (EV, also top dial) and aperture (lens ring). Why no 'top-dial' for ISO ?? IMO a missed opportunity.

- Regarding AF I have but one question: is it AF with FTM (AutoFocus with FullTime Manual override), or do we have to flip the switch (on the side of the camera) to be able to manually adjust a pre-AF-focussed shot ?

But apart from these remarks, still a camera design I will closely follow and observe

...*my* 0.02 worth...

Kindest regards!

Max@Home
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RolleiSE.jpg (50.2 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg x100-m.jpg (36.7 KB, 131 views)

Canon PowerShot G1X MkII, Canon PowerShot G3X, some accessories (hoods, flashes, filters, tripod) and some knowledge to use them
Max@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010   #17
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1495882

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcmt View Post
I don't necessarily agree w/ the zoom thing. I think many photogs are getting tired of the bulk dslr and bulk zooms when not needed. Especially for travel, nature, and street photography. I want a digital rangefinder w/ a 24 2.8 and 90 2.0 equivalent interchangeable prime lenses. Maybe a small zoom.

Check out these comparisons:

Fujifilm FinePix X100 vs Leica X1 vs Leica M9 - DigitalRev.com

Super Premium Compact: Leica X1 vs Fujifilm X100
Interchangeable primes would be even better, I use many on my DSLR's now. In lieu of that I do use and love my 24-70 zoom and even a 3X ratio zoom wouldn't add much bulk but would sure be a winner IMO.
Old 02-11-2011   #18
Vicuna

I can't wait to get my hands on one of these beauties. DP Review has a first look at a working version.
Fujifilm FinePix X100 First Look Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
Nothing new as we know, but one step closer. I wonder what the final price will be?
I think it would be the perfect camera for candids and street snaps. I love the old school operations, so no zoom for me...but a 100mm-ish telly would be nice. I will bet it this is successful a new version with a 2 lens kit will be available.

Old 02-11-2011   #19
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 161051

In the UK, this is priced at 999.99 ($1,600.45) In the States apparently it is priced at $1200.
So you see, once more the UK is being ripped off. I reckon I could get a flight to New York, buy one, and get back home for less than the difference.

As far as I'm concerned they can stick it.

It is better to deserve honors and not have them than to have them and not to deserve them. Mark Twain
kidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011   #20
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1676

x100 accessories

FinePix X100 | Fujifilm Global

Kenko MC7 2X, Pro 300
Nkkor 50 1.8 70-300VR
Phoenix 100, 650-1300& Sima 100mm F2 SF
Sigma 12-24, 18-50 HSM, 18-125, 50-500, 70-300, 120-300, 1.4X 2x
Tamron 28-75
badpickev is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Fuji »

Share this topic: