Another
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Food

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2017   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1206139
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Another

Another go at the portfolio building project:

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1236770
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Another

Whilst not everyone's cup of tea I like the drama of dark back grounds for food, what is that object to the right of the frame is it a glass? The light is nice, from a styling perspective I find the aluminium foil less attractive and I find myself wishing there was some green in there herbs or cress for example, what lighting modifiers are you using?

http://nickhawkesphotography.com
Mrnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First

Lighting is pretty good, but I agree with above that it might need some color...but then again chicken fry with gravy and a potato and roll are all kind of bland, but taste good. Not sure about the upper right corner of the image and it seems like the plate is chipped on the right side too.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017   #4
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1508066

I think I would go up a bit more so the viewer is seeing it more from the angle that they would on the plate. Not all the way but a bit more would show the potato a bit more. The thing on the right side is distracting and the napkin covers just a sliver of the plate. I would have moved it or clone it out.
Tinstafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017   #5
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1508066

Oh and you did very well with the aluminum foil and the gravy.
Tinstafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017   #6
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrnick View Post
Whilst not everyone's cup of tea I like the drama of dark back grounds for food, what is that object to the right of the frame is it a glass? The light is nice, from a styling perspective I find the aluminium foil less attractive and I find myself wishing there was some green in there herbs or cress for example, what lighting modifiers are you using?
I too have a personal taste for dark backgrounds with food. The object is a glass. I believe I toned it down too much. I'm not crazy about foil wrapped potatoes either but we were shooting the food as it is served in this restaurant. I didn't plan on this plate, the owner prepared it and brought it too me impromptu. The lighting is a 2'X3' softbox above and behind and a grid on a 7" reflector also behind and off to the side. Garnish would have been good, I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pickles View Post
Lighting is pretty good, but I agree with above that it might need some color...but then again chicken fry with gravy and a potato and roll are all kind of bland, but taste good. Not sure about the upper right corner of the image and it seems like the plate is chipped on the right side too.
Escaped my attention that the napkin is covering a portion of the plate. I concur about the bland color pallet. Garnish a plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstafl View Post
I think I would go up a bit more so the viewer is seeing it more from the angle that they would on the plate. Not all the way but a bit more would show the potato a bit more. The thing on the right side is distracting and the napkin covers just a sliver of the plate. I would have moved it or clone it out.
All excellent points. About the camera angle I changed the elevation to counter a reflection problem I was having with the tabletop. Also learned the importance of having different texture materials on hand for set building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstafl View Post
Oh and you did very well with the aluminum foil and the gravy.
Thank you. I wish I could remember the photographer who said it for credit's sake, "Everything reflects...everything"

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Old 09-03-2017   #7
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 266809

Having worked in the Restaurant field for over 20 years in the past...
My first advice for food is ambiance.
Second advice is make sure the food is properly prepped for your photo taking.
Example: If you were to take some photos of quesadillas ..have them put TWICE as much as cheese in them. Twice as much as dipping sauce ...lettuce..whatever is garnishing the plate.
THEN: Don't focus on making the dish appear proportionate to the viewer, but trick their eye by making it look real life size but using bigger portion. It's more appealing.
To make an example of your photo...if I may...
Everything on the plate looks like the "real size". However, it fools the viewer into thinking the chicken fried steak is smaller than the baked potato and the roll is almost the same size of the baked potato.
I would use bigger portions on the chicken fried steak and present it in a manner that it appears more "appealing" but not trying to fool customers their chicken fried steak is much bigger than it really is.
Back to ambiance.....
Think "still art" the art piece won't work unless you have a ..."setting." Props could be used. ...etc. In our catering parties we have used props to appeal to the eye of the party goers to give it an appeal they are at our restaurant; but at some party at someone's home. Get a feel for their ambiance. Even ask the Restaurant's managers thoughts on their ambiance. Night time is when they get the most business. It may have a different feel then.
Some have "cheated" and use bokeh instead of props. Bokeh is nice with the right ambient colors.
By NO means I have any experience in taking photos of food. But you in a sense are advertising for them.
My photography days came after the restaurant days.

Note: Take a look at the size of the Knife and then look at the size of the Chicken fried steak.
Augustine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017   #8
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustine View Post
Having worked in the Restaurant field for over 20 years in the past...
My first advice for food is ambiance.
Second advice is make sure the food is properly prepped for your photo taking.
Example: If you were to take some photos of quesadillas ..have them put TWICE as much as cheese in them. Twice as much as dipping sauce ...lettuce..whatever is garnishing the plate.
THEN: Don't focus on making the dish appear proportionate to the viewer, but trick their eye by making it look real life size but using bigger portion. It's more appealing.
To make an example of your photo...if I may...
Everything on the plate looks like the "real size". However, it fools the viewer into thinking the chicken fried steak is smaller than the baked potato and the roll is almost the same size of the baked potato.
I would use bigger portions on the chicken fried steak and present it in a manner that it appears more "appealing" but not trying to fool customers their chicken fried steak is much bigger than it really is.
Back to ambiance.....
Think "still art" the art piece won't work unless you have a ..."setting." Props could be used. ...etc. In our catering parties we have used props to appeal to the eye of the party goers to give it an appeal they are at our restaurant; but at some party at someone's home. Get a feel for their ambiance. Even ask the Restaurant's managers thoughts on their ambiance. Night time is when they get the most business. It may have a different feel then.
Some have "cheated" and use bokeh instead of props. Bokeh is nice with the right ambient colors.
By NO means I have any experience in taking photos of food. But you in a sense are advertising for them.
My photography days came after the restaurant days.

Note: Take a look at the size of the Knife and then look at the size of the Chicken fried steak.
Interesting observations and points. Thanks for the suggestions.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Food »

Share this topic: