Strawberry ice cream
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Food

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2014   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 811406
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Strawberry ice cream

This week it's strawberry ice cream. It's also my first shot with my birthday present to myself, a Canon TS-E 90. Talk about opening up a lot of new possibilities...

Recipe at Strawberry Ice Cream | Adventures in Thyme

Old 07-16-2014   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 2840131
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Strawberry ice cream

Welcome to the tilt shift club and happy birthday! Given the new lens and learning curve I'd say you did a fine job on this! Also, as we all know, ice cream melts fast so congratulations on a job well done...quickly!
JACKCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014   #3
Guanaco

Thank you. Avoiding melt was the hardest part. Also, due to the angle of the food, I ended up rotating the lens 45 degrees and tilting to get the focus where I wanted it. Thank goodness for my laptop, I never would have known what was in focus without it. I just don't see that well in the viewfinder anymore.
dannv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091

Ice cream is difficult to handle. There are food stylists in NYC and Chicago who specialize in scooping the perfect ice cream ball. That's all they do. With ice cream, you're looking for a round shape with parallel ruffled ridges along the top. Look at any retail ice cream package photo for an example.

What we do, when we have to shoot the real thing, is make a dozen or more scoops. Place them on metal trays covered with parchment paper and then re-freeze them for several hours before we try to photograph them. If your freezer isn't cold enough, a cooler with blocks of dry ice in the bottom works well.

Congratulations on your new Tilt and shift lens! As I've told Brian again and again, do yourself a favor and get a copy of Capture One Pro 7 for tethered shooting. You'll love that "Focus Mask" feature!

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014   #5
Guanaco

Thanks Brooks. Ice cream is a bear to shoot, for sure. Homemade seems to be even worse since it's not as consistent in texture as the commercial stuff.

I've done ice cream before and done the multiple scoops that get refrozen for a while. It really does help, I just couldn't do that this time do to freezer space. It did give me a fun chance to play with the new lens, though. Learning it is going to take some time, for sure.
Old 07-17-2014   #6
Photocamel Master

Danny, using the tilt or swing on a tilt/shift lens is really straight forward and easy to comprehend. For maximum DOF you want the lens plane or tilt to bisect the angle between the subject plane and sensor plane.

What makes it difficult is having to use manual focus through a dark dslr prism, made even dimmer by the DX format and the lack of brighter modeling lamps on your strobes.

I shoot with a fill frame Nikon D3X and while the viewfinder is much brighter than one on a DX crop format, it can still be difficult to see sharpness. I use a focus point in the foreground and the focus confirmation light in the viewfinder and then do the same for a more distant part of the subject. Sometimes a little back and forth is needed. And occasionally I need to back up the camera to increase the sensor to subject distance and make the image size smaller so I can have more DOF.

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Old 07-17-2014   #7
Guanaco

Brooks, yeah, I get the theory. It's learning how to apply it that seems like it'll be an interesting project, then how to be creative with it. This time I rotated the lens 45 degrees then did the tilt to get the ice cream in focus. It was cool to be able to rotate the lens that way and still have the camera horizontal.
Old 07-17-2014   #8
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 329462
Editing OK?: Ask first

Thought I recognized that ice cream. Nice to see another 52'er here
Old 07-17-2014   #9
Llama

CamelKarma: 9314096
Editing OK?: No

It's a lot easier to fake it.

My PBase galleries
...and SmugMug
...and my book: Just Another Guy With a Camera - Photographs 1968-1976
dkcoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014   #10
Photocamel Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkcoats View Post
It's a lot easier to fake it.
Can't fake it if the ice cream is what you're selling.

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Food »

Share this topic:

Tags
ice cream, strawberry