I'll give it a go :)
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Food

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2010   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12371645
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default I'll give it a go :)

I have a little obsession with cooking, and often blog recipes and photos of the results. So these are mostly hobby photos, but I still would like to improve. Here's one from a cake recipe I adapted. It's just sitting on my kitchen counter, what a lovely counter edge I included . C&C more than welcome.

Critique and comments always welcome.
Rain Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #2
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 114287
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: I'll give it a go :)

Like how you focused the slice and part of the cake..... be weary of the crumbs, may I have a piece? looks good!
pacomijares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1206139

It's just sitting around on your kitchen counter? That's no way to treat a cake. If it were here it wouldn't be sitting around long. Looks delicious. I don't know much about food photography but I know what I like and I like cake.

Steve

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #4
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacomijares View Post
Like how you focused the slice and part of the cake..... be weary of the crumbs, may I have a piece? looks good!
Thanks for the comments, and yes, I thought the crumbs would be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songman45 View Post
It's just sitting around on your kitchen counter? That's no way to treat a cake. If it were here it wouldn't be sitting around long. Looks delicious. I don't know much about food photography but I know what I like and I like cake.

Steve
Steve, LOL, well, this was a while back and I have to say that I make sure my fingers don't stay too close to any piece of cake around here, with 3 teenagers in the house! LOL. Thanks for the comments. It was a really good cake, too - Coconut Lime Pound Cake
Old 08-11-2010   #5
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 2943091
Editing OK?: Ask First

That's a nice composition. Using a second height level is an effective way to show both the entire cake and a slice together. I also like the use of a cut and whole lime as a garnish.

This looks like available light from a widow left of the camera? As such the exposure is a bit dark, especially on the right side of the cake. A fill card would have helped there.

I imagine this was simply a photo to capture the cake before it was eaten rather than a cake photo for en exercize in food photography. Still, there are a number of things you could do that would take this food photograph to the next level.

The lighting could be improved with a soft diffused light overhead and a slightly harder light from the side to bring out the texture of the cake itself. Add a fill card for the shadows on the right.

A longer focal length lens would lend a better perspective. A short telephoto works as well for food photography as it does for portraits.

Finally the styling. As mentioned earlier the crumbs are messy as is the icing dripped on the plate surface. The solution is to place the cake on a round piece of cardboard the size of the cake and then drizzle the icing. After the icing has set up transfer the cake to the final plate. A cleaner cut would help show off the shape of the slice better.

I don't usually like to post a photo of my own in another thread but in this case your shot is very similar to this one. Notice the clean cut on the slices and the texture on the cake surface from the use of a harder light from the side? That's what I'm talking about.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dockside Inside Pedestal RT.jpg (58.2 KB, 344 views)

"To them, the bike is just garage clutter. To us, it's a loaded Beretta, a half-million in cash, and a forged passport under the floorboards." - Dan Walsh

" Enjoy every sandwich!"

Every single camera and all of the lenses that I've ever owned.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010   #6
Camel Breath

It does, thank you, Brooks. And you are always free to show an example of your work on any of my threads. I'm not too insecure

Good tips, thank you. My kitchen is very dark and the light was a fluorescent strip hanging vertically to camera left. It was indeed just for the blog and not an exercise in 'food photography' but we are about to start building a new house (WOOT!) and I will have a huge bright kitchen and dining room with a big ol' southern window, and lots of counter space! I'll be practicing using both window light and trying to apply your tips within a few months, hopefully. Thanks!
Old 08-11-2010   #7
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 13808

Lovely composition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Lily View Post
It does, thank you, Brooks. And you are always free to show an example of your work on any of my threads. I'm not too insecure
Hey mine too
Old 08-14-2010   #8
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 56124
Editing OK?: Ask First

I've gained two pounds....thanks a lot!
trapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010   #9
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waleed View Post
Lovely composition
Thank you, Waleed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapman View Post
I've gained two pounds....thanks a lot!
LOL! It was indeed tasty - and not healthy - LOL
Old 08-15-2010   #10
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 4363
Editing OK?: No

Nice shots Lily and Brooks

Canonian is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Food »

Share this topic: