A sad revelation, and I am now bummed...
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2009   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1106
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Unhappy A sad revelation, and I am now bummed...

I stopped in the local Costco (big, volume discount house) today and discovered that they no longer carry 35mm film. Bulk-box Fujicolor had been available there for about $1.00 per roll, but no longer.

While I can still find film at Wal*Mart and elsewhere, for a higher price, and they continue for now to offer developing services, it has become apparent to me that my 50 year old 35mm film hobby (addiction?) will be ending in the very near future.

Somehow, this makes me feel like I have outlived an old friend...

Old 06-13-2009   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 200
Default Re: A sad revelation, and I am now bummed...

I stopped using Costco-sold film years ago. Get used to buying film in bulk from B&H. You need to stock-up and plan years ahead. Make room in a freezer. No need to outlive an old friend. As long as we keep buying, retailers like B&H and Samys will keep stocking film. I am only limited by finding new subjects to put on film. Personally, I'd shoot 24-7, if I had subjects to put on film.

Jerzy
fotogeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009   #3
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 661924
Editing OK?: Yes

Yes, don't give up. You may have to pay a bit more than $1.00 per roll, but in the end the cost of the film itself is still going to be only a small part of the total cost. Still it's worth the cost if you are really a fan of film.
Old 06-14-2009   #4
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1106

Thank you both for your replies.

After some time to 'mourn' I decided that I will just change the way I shoot. Since cheap film is no longer available, I will find a 'cost-efficient' digital (perhaps a used D50, D70/70s or even a D100 so that I can also use some of my collection of AF-D lense) to document fire scenes for work, and the get proficient at transferring from card to CDR for archiving.

I will then continue to shoot film for recreational purposes.
JimmyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 538838

If you do go digital, stick with the 50/70 and skip the D100. Only because thats one of the oldest digital cameras Nikon made. The 50 or 70/70s will use any AF-D lens you have. Its the D40/60 that can only use AF-S lenses.
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009   #6
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 30157

Advice ... get the D50.
photojazz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009   #7
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 118
Editing OK?: Ask first

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
Thank you both for your replies.

After some time to 'mourn' I decided that I will just change the way I shoot. Since cheap film is no longer available, I will find a 'cost-efficient' digital (perhaps a used D50, D70/70s or even a D100 so that I can also use some of my collection of AF-D lense) to document fire scenes for work, and the get proficient at transferring from card to CDR for archiving.

I will then continue to shoot film for recreational purposes.
That's what I did...I got myself a Nikon D70 and a Nikon 18-70mm lens to use for most of my shooting, (but I won't give up on my Nikon F3HP's and FA cameras, and 35mm film).
glockman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009   #8
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 517

Our local "SuperStore" is in the process of removing their photolab from the store as the digital revolution has pretty much made it obsolete. My sister works in the photolab and she is being transferred to a different department after 13 years there.

She says that they are going with 6 "Print Your Own" Kiosks at the store that let you slip your memory card or USB Flash Drive in and print the photos yourself on the spot.

They have had two there for the past couple of years and they have done far more business than the photolab itself so they are elminating the photolab and going all self-serve.

It's kind of sad, actually, because those instant print kiosks never seem to produce as nice a photo as the photolab itself could.

Cheers!

Jeff
JeffDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009   #9
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 398

Do you have a Wal-greens around? I saw film there last week.

I shoot with Canon & Olympus girl, and i'm loving life in the snowy U.P.
Olygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009   #10
Llama

CamelKarma: 1471

The local photo shop is gone here mostly because everyone going to digital and printing at home.

I now have to drive fifty miles just to look at a role of film

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera »

Share this topic: