What is your favorite film camera? - Page 11
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010   #101
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1519256
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: What is your favorite film camera?

Konica FT-1 you get to use all those fantastic Hexanon AF lenses.
http://glasscat-artworks.smugmug.com...7_kGFM9-XL.jpg
dbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010   #102
Llama

CamelKarma: 203872

Nikon F3HP and later F100. Filmer heaven.....

Most things I worry about, never happen anyway...Tom Petty

D800/D700/D7100/D70s (IR), some lenses, filters and a tripod...
ritewinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010   #103
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 612
Editing OK?: No

Pentax K1000. I shot my entire AA&S with one and I received many comments on the sharpness of my shots. I just love the simplicity of the old manual prime lens setup. I am actually working on a darkroom within the month so hopefully some of my old film work will be gracing the pages of this site soon. Ahem.
Old 04-04-2010   #104
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1106
Editing OK?: Ask First

Sentimental:
Zeiss Ikon Contina III with 45mm Pantar lens. First 35mm camera I owned, taught me a lot.

Modern:
Nikon N90S. Does everything I want, and more.
JimmyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010   #105
Llama

CamelKarma: 1232

Well if I had to name one it would be my Nikon FM2, but my Nikon F100 and Bronica Sq-ai follow closely behind. I used to shoot with a 90x (90s), great workhorse that never let me down.
jellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010   #106
Llama

CamelKarma: 1232

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasJeff View Post
Pentax K1000. I shot my entire AA&S with one and I received many comments on the sharpness of my shots. I just love the simplicity of the old manual prime lens setup. I am actually working on a darkroom within the month so hopefully some of my old film work will be gracing the pages of this site soon. Ahem.
The K1000 was a favourite with photography students. The evaluative metering was excellent. I used a K1000 for some of my City and Guilds modules.
jellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010   #107
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1385

Deardorff V8 8x10 fit out with Various focal length Commercial Ektars, a few Red and Gold dot Artars, along with a collection of Wolley Raptars and Petzval Darlets. I would also include a selection of reducing backs to handle 4x5 and 5x7 formats.

C Webb

Last edited by C Webb; 04-07-2010 at 11:51 PM.. Reason: Spelling
C Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010   #108
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1206139
Editing OK?: Yes

My taste is not nearly so refined or exotic. My favorite owned film camera was a Canon A1 it had 5 exposure modes and was the first one I owned that had Av and Tv choices. This one was not dead in the water if the battery died, the shutter would operate at 1/60th if I recall even without power. What I liked about film cameras v.s. digital was they were all pretty much light proof boxes with a time controlled hole in them. Take the lens off, open the back and bulb the shutter and what do you have? A case with a hole completely though it. Film choice determined a lot back then color print or slide, color or B&W, portrait or landscape (not horz/vert) and all those choices could be put into any brand, any make.

I own a D200 today and what I like better about digital than film is the ability to change film speed (ISO) on the fly. No longer the need to waste exposures or wait till a roll was finished off to change sensitivity.

Steve

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #109
Llama

CamelKarma: 287674
Editing OK?: Yes

I'm quite fond of my Kodak Recomar cameras, especially the little Recomar 18. It's an early folding camera with a 105 mm f/4.5 Kodak Anastigmat lens set in a Compur shutter with speeds from 1 - 1/250 sec., plus T and B. It was designed by Dr. Auguste Nagel, and then continued by Kodak AG after they bought Nagel Kamera-Werks out. The closest I've been able to "date" it is somewhere around 1932-1935.

I have a roll-film back for it which takes 120 film, and it all works exceedingly well. I've run a few rolls of Fuji 160S C-41 color film through it, as well as a few rolls of Fuji Acros 100 B&W which I developed myself.

I have a 2 1/4" x 3 1/4" single-sheet film holder for it that came with the camera when I bought it on eBay, but I need to pick up a few more before it will really be practical to use (since the sheet film holders need to be loaded and unloaded in a changing bag or darkroom, you pretty much have to prepare them in advance). I have also bought a couple of small boxes of 2 1/4" x 3 1/4" sheet film to use in it (Efke 25, 50, and 100 speed black & white films).

It's a bit frustrating to find these holders, as there was little or no standardization between brands at the time, and I've ended up with a fairly decent-sized collection of film holders that:
  • Don't fit the camera at all
  • Fit the camera, but are missing pieces (the holder has a main body, a dark slide, and depending on the exact design, may also need a tin "sheath" to hold the actual sheet of film).
  • Fit the camera, have all of their pieces, but are for a slightly-different film "standard" size (6cm x 9cm), and don't fit the film I bought based on the holder that came with the camera.
So, for now, I've been using it with 120 roll film. It's actually quite a bit more convenient, but I still want to shoot some sheet film in it at some point.
Misc.: Other stuff, as needed.

Web: Los Angeles area photographer Rick Dickinson: CrayonPhotos.com.
Twitter: Follow photographer Rick Dickinson.
Facebook: CrayonPhotos.com.
RocketRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010   #110
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1495882
Editing OK?: Ask First

Rick,
I also own and use a 1932 Kodak Recomar. I still have only a couple sheet film holders that I use occasionally but most of the time I use a 120 roll adapter from a Graphlex that I had machined to fit the Recomar.
This little "press" camera is a wonder for making and printing large B&W images on high quality matte papers.

Adolph Hitler
Sidebyte is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera »

Share this topic: