Advice on Canon EOS 650
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2005   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 15
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Advice on Canon EOS 650

I need a film camera for coursework. I use a Canon EOS 20D and therefore would like to keep to Canon for lens reasons.

I've been offered an immaculate EOS 650 for peanuts, anything I should look out for on this model and what was it like in its time.

Thanks in advance

Trev

Old 07-30-2005   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 40
Default Re: Advice on Canon EOS 650

Why film?
Alice Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005   #3
Alpaca

Darkroom experience etc.
Blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005   #4
Llama

CamelKarma: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird
Darkroom experience etc.
I don't understand this. Photoshop is your darkroom. Is it a question of the instructor still needing to be grounded in film?
Alice Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005   #5
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 34

I think there's no problem having two bodies, digital and film. And there's nothing wrong with going back to film.
I know some professional wedding photographers who always bring their EOS 1VhS along with their 1DsMKII.

how much is he selling for that EOS 650? ...it is a fine camera but a bit outdatted...introduced in 1987 which is 18 years ago.
It has to be really really cheap to make it worth to buy trev.

otherwise i would choose EOS 33/ Elan 7

cheers
Old 07-31-2005   #6
Alpaca

Thanks Mikael,

I checked up on the net about the camera, and all reviews very positive indeed, managed to source the manual of the net. I got the camera last night. Complete with 50mm 1.8 lens attached. So even the lens is worth the money I paid for it, which was very little AU$40.

Inside and out, its mint condition, even the foam to protect the mirror looks like new, and no dust inside. Checked all functions now that I have manual and it appears to be okay. Next step is a roll of film and see what happens.

Trev
Blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005   #7
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 11

I have EOS 650 which I bought in 1987 when it came into market. Very nice camera and I have to say I am keeping my copy! The price you mentioned is a real steal! I have not had any problems with that camera during 18 years.

Jonne
Old 08-21-2005   #8
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

Quote:
I don't understand this. Photoshop is your darkroom. Is it a question of the instructor still needing to be grounded in film?
Alice, there are still a few "traditional" photo degrees from colleges that start out with darkroom courses. They even have B&W courses where they use real B&W film. I'm not sure it is a question of the Instructor being "old school" or not. The local one here is this way. The Instructor (pretty darn good), "teaches" the basics, and he believes it makes you "see the light" better. After spending some time with him on some photo workshops, I think he is right on the money.

I wish film would not die, and that the use of darkrooms and film would live on.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005   #9
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 381

Plus... once you know darkroom.. you would understand PS and why certain things are certain tools are... such as dodging and burning... film grain... E2C... color shifts... WB and Kelvin scales.. gray + polarzer filters... etc etc

otaku521 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera »

Share this topic: