A grand to spend ... but on what?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2007   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 13
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default A grand to spend ... but on what?

Hi,

I just got a $1,000 bucks to spend on new camera gear (my current gear is a Voigtlander Bessa L with a 25mm fixed lens, very limited setup) ...

What would you all recommend I buy? Should it be a film SLR? The Nikon f100? The Canon Elan series?

R.

Old 12-26-2007   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 661924
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: A grand to spend ... but on what?

Well your first decision is the hardest: film or digital??

Given the state of the used market in film gear, for $1000 you can come away with a fine camera and 2 or 3 very good lenses and still have some left over for film & processing. But the chances are that, sooner or later you will want to switch to digital and that change is better made earlier than later.

Carefully study the pros & cons of each format for your personal situation. When you have made that decision get back to us and we will try to help.

PS. DONT ask the digital vs film question in any online forums. You will be deluged with highly biased opinions that will be of no help in deciding what's right for you.
Old 01-28-2008   #3
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

You could get a 12 or 15mm lens for your L, or a Leica body for your 25. Or a Leica and a new CV lens.

Of course I'm assuming that you want film stuff. If you want digital, there are a lot of new cameras out now that go for $1K or less.
Chris101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #4
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 185474

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
Oooo... a grand! Here's my suggestion:

Buy into a dead system.

What do I mean by dead? Well, a system whose manufacturer no longer makes lenses for that mount. Three examples - Minolta MD (like the X-700), Canon FD (like the AE-1) or the Olympus OM (like the OM-4ti). With $1000 you can pick up at least three bodies in mint or near mint condition, a motor drive, a dedicated flash, and 3 or 4 really nice lenses. The images will be superb. You might even have enough left over to buy a flatbed scanner if you need one.

I come from Minolta heritage, so I know that system best, and recommend it above the other two I mentioned. The X-700 is, IMHO, the pinacle of manual focus cameras. Some will put the Canon T90 in that spot but the T90 has a common killer flaw that can leave you with a nonworking camera. It can be fixed, but it isn't a $0.50 capacitor like the X-700 sometimes has fail.
I`m with you, only I`d go with the AE1
Thunder_o_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 12368
Editing OK?: Yes

I think it's time for you to jump into large format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertdavid View Post
Hi,

I just got a $1,000 bucks to spend on new camera gear (my current gear is a Voigtlander Bessa L with a 25mm fixed lens, very limited setup) ...

What would you all recommend I buy? Should it be a film SLR? The Nikon f100? The Canon Elan series?

R.
walter23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008   #6
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

i'll second that. LF is the way forward...

check out the shenhao and tachihara gear at http://www.badgergraphic.com/

you could also pick up a hassy for $1000 if yu are patient. MF is good too and decidedly cheaper than LF
jayavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008   #7
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 11

How about a TLR? For that kind of money, possibly less you could get a Rolleiflex in decent shape... but that's provided you're ready to go out shooting with some people looking strangely at your gear

If you've got money left, save it for film, a lot of film!
nightlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008   #8
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1099193
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
you could also pick up a hassy for $1000 if yu are patient.
Actually, you can probably do less than $1000. My 500CM, with waist-level viewfinder, A12 back, and 80mm f/2.8 only added up to about $600-650 all together.

cyclohexane is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera »

Share this topic: