35 mm to digi
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2005   #1
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1495882
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default 35 mm to digi

In shooting 35 mm film that will be converted to digi files, what film or slide film, primarily landscapes do you find best for conversion, am using a Canon FS-4000 scanner? Also I have an Epson 1280 that will print up to 13" wide so 13" X 19" require very large files and would like to ask if (considering the end process), is film or slides better to convert. I still have four 35 mm excellent cameras and would like to utilize some of their capabilities. I have had some scanned in a lab but don't have access to one now where I live, so am destined to scan my own. I will use the 35 mm's sparingly whereby I will proof with a digi camera first (side by side). Film speed is of little consequence since most are in good light.

Adolph Hitler
Sidebyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 661924
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: 35 mm to digi

I shoot exclusively with film and scan using a Nikon Coolscan 4000ED.* In my experience slides (transparencies) scan better than negatives.* In particular I find there is less grain with slides compared to same speed color reversal film.* The other advantage is that you can preview slides with a light table or projector to select those shots worth taking the time to scan and post process.* I like both the Kodak and Fuji slide films.* Also both companies have recently announced a reformulation of their film bases to make them more easily scanned.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 11-29-2005   #3
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1495882
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: 35 mm to digi

Thanks Blue,
That's exactly the info. I was looking for.

Cheers
Bill

Adolph Hitler
Sidebyte is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera »

Share this topic: