70mm film - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009   #21
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: 70mm film

This camel has got a new back!

I got my backs this morning, but I'm still waiting on the body. Since I don't have the body, I can't compare the size of the image field of the A12 to the A70. So I have a few questions to ask:
1.) How large is the image field of the A70?
2.) If there is a difference, do all Hasselblad lenses cover it?

3.) Is the length of each spool 15 meters or 15 feet? (I'd like to know about the length of each cassette so that I know how many exposures to expect from each 100 foot spool.)

4.) What is the typical dimensions for a box of 100 foot spools. (Refrigeration space required?)

5.) How much danger if any is there in overloading each cassette? I doubt that I could get another meter in the cassette, but another foot may not be that big of a deal. So how critical is it?

Since these backs are used, I have no manual and am now looking for one to download. I haven't yet figured out how to even open them. So I really do need a manual to instruct me. No point in me screwing these up before I even get to use them. So I looking for a manual now. But if anyone has a direct link of where to find one, please post it.

EDIT: NEVERMIND!! I figured out how to open the A70 backs. They are very simple and straightforward. And they look very nice. They help to give me a better sense of the size of the body I've yet to receive.

Xavian-Anderson Macpherson
ShingoshiDao
Shingoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #22
Alpaca

Ok - you've got the backs. Good.

First of all, you should have a manual. There are resources on-line, but ages ago I bought The Hasselblad Manual by Ernst Wildi. I have the Third Edition, which was new in the mid 80's and covers everything you need. Latest editions are expensive and cover later bodies. For get them for now.

An alternative manual, and one which I also have is
Cheap 2nd hand and very good.

Your questions:

1.) How large is the image field of the A70?
Answer: The same as the other "6x6" Hasselblad backs, 56x56mm
2.) If there is a difference, do all Hasselblad lenses cover it?
Answer: as above, no they are the same, so all Hasselblad lenses cover it.
3.) Is the length of each spool 15 meters or 15 feet? (I'd like to know about the length of each cassette so that I know how many exposures to expect from each 100 foot spool.)
Answer: the 70mm cassette as you see in the previous image I posted, was preloaded by Kodak or other suppliers with 15ft (4.6m). The cassettes were also sold empty by Hasselblad, Linhof and maybe others, for do-it-yourself loading from bulk rolls. The bulk rolls of standard still camera film was typically sold in 100' (approx 30m) cans. I advise you load shorter lengths to get the feel of handling, and also for test exposures.
4.) What is the typical dimensions for a box of 100 foot spools. (Refrigeration space required?)
Answer: Don't know. I have only purchase a couple at a time. The cans containing the 100' roll are each just under 10cm in diameter x just under 8cm high.
5.) How much danger if any is there in overloading each cassette? I doubt that I could get another meter in the cassette, but another foot may not be that big of a deal. So how critical is it?
Answer: Ideally you need a bulk film loader. Some say they do it easily in a dark room with a jig set up, and some home-made rule of measuring. But when the cassette is loaded, it's full. But I stop at the marks shown on the loader.

May I ask you, what 70mm equipment do you have? It does help to be well prepared. Are you hoping to process anything yourself? Have you located any labs that still handle 70mm E6 and/or C41?

On eBay here, you see a huge choice of 35mm bulk film loaders. What you need is one for 70mm. It will usually be an Alden 70mm. You do see a couple of Aldens amongst this assortment, but they are for, as I said. 35mm. The 70mm loaders may appear once every few weeks, sometimes two at a time. There have been discussions on photo.net about loading 70mm. and if you search you will find them. I have been actively searching for equipment and info for over a year, and have purchased a few bits and pieces.

In the New Year, after the silly season, I will get back to work on the 70mm film site. For now, I must get some sleep. It's 02:25 am here.

In the meantime buy the manuals for the Hasselblad, take your time and read.

Cheers, Kevin.
Kevin Parratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009   #23
Alpaca

Sorry, the eBay link.
Old 12-12-2009   #24
Alpaca

Here are the scans of the leaflet, but they may have been already downsized by the forum program. <the images especially are clearer to see in the bigger file format and will be printable:

1. Text from the A70 mag instruction leaflet
2. Corresponding images.

Kindly let em know when you have found them, and if you would like a larger file sent in email. Thanks

Cheers, Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A70 magazine001.jpg (164.9 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg A70 magazine003.jpg (76.1 KB, 107 views)
Old 12-13-2009   #25
Alpaca

Thanks Kevin,
I forgot that I had already downloaded this file from the Hasselblad Historical website. I made sure that I went back and got several more docs to have at my immediate disposal. I hope that others will benefit from the assistance you have repeatedly given here. You have become an indispensable asset!

I did finally figure out how to open the backs and examine them. It's really simple and straightforward as I stated above. The backs seem to be in pretty good shape.

ShingoshiDao
Old 04-01-2010   #26
Alpaca

Today (01,April.2010), I finally won my own 70mm film reloader! It took this long for another one to come up on eBay. I forget if I saw another one between the last and now. But this time I was prepared to pay whatever it took to get one. And I did! It comes with 24 cassettes and inserts. So I think I'm in a position now to do something with 70mm as a viable option in my photography.

And no! This is NOT an April Fools Day prank...
So Kevin, I'm in the club now, for certain...
Shingoshi
Old 04-13-2010   #27
Alpaca

Editing OK?: Yes

Hello, I am new to this forum. I have an hassie and a 70mm film back... but where do you buy the films? Thanks
Federico Carminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010   #28
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federico Carminati View Post
Hello, I am new to this forum. I have an hassie and a 70mm film back... but where do you buy the films? Thanks
I am also interest but how is the film being developed especially by myself. I got some jobo development and do my own E6 and B&W up to 8x10. Any hint?
dng88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010   #29
Alpaca

Currently I do shoot 70mm perforated film with my Hasselblad 500CM. I like the large format of the negative and use it to shoot senic photography. I really had to hunt to find the film, and I keep it frozen until I need to load a 100' roll into my loader. I was able to find one developer in Florida. It seems this format of film is no longer manufactured. I was able to find expired film from Agfa awhile ago. At the time they had 30 rolls, but I could only afford 10. Had contacted them last month and they no longer have any left, plus if they manufacture any it is done for the military. I certainly would be interested in getting into a pool of people who use 70mm peforated color or B&W film. I could develop my own B&W, but need to send out the color to be processed. So far any 70mm film being sold on eBay is non-peforated.
rrbond07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010   #30
Alpaca

Now you need to be able to find film for it!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera »

Share this topic: