70mm film - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009   #11
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 48994
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: 70mm film

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingoshi View Post
I take it you're speaking specifically of perforated film? I just want to make sure I'm not making assumptions which don't help either one of us.

Maybe this is the place to start discussing a larger solution for all the photographers wanting 70mm rolls.

Xavian-Anderson Macpherson
ShingoshiDao
What I have after looking closer is non perferated 46mm film.....sorry for my mistake.....they do have the same 120 format....just the image is on the narrow side vs the wide.
Sigma Bigma 50mm to 500mm
Certified Professional Photographer
Certified Craftsman Photographer

Everyone has a photographic memory,some people just don't have any film!
camrajoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #12
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by camrajoky View Post
What I have after looking closer is non perferated 46mm film.....sorry for my mistake.....they do have the same 120 format....just the image is on the narrow side vs the wide.
Yeah, I was wondering about that! But I have some other thoughts I want to share here. And maybe someone can clear up my lack of knowledge on this subject.

One of the things I was wondering today after reading the repeated comments about 70mm cinema film, is whether or not the sprocket dimensions for that film are the same as the film used in Hasselblad and crowd? Anyway, I started doing further reading to check out the dimensions of the IMAX film. I'm not sure if the orientation of that film is simply changed from being written vertically to horizontally. But I don't see any apparent reason why 70mm cinema film can't be used for photography. Without being able to actually measure in my hand, the sprocket dimensions seem to be the same. The sound track seems to be written on the outside of the sprockets, not by reducing the area where the image is created.

EDIT: See this link: Film Specifications

And even if the 70mm final product to which 65mm film is printed to wouldn't work, I'm wondering what might be the possibility of converting our 70mm backs to run with 65mm film? I think we need to verify firstly that 70mm film isn't identical to the film we would be using. Secondly, what would be involved to convert the backs to 65mm. Yeah, I think I just repeated myself. So I'll quit here and wait for comments from others.

ShingoshiDao

EDIT: After an email to Thom aka Camrajoky, I realize that I should stated up front that my continued participation in this subject is contingent on my getting the backs I've not yet received. I came to this forum looking for reasons to justify the purchase. After having been given a good offer from the seller, I am now waiting to hear whether he will hold the backs until January. If so, then I'll have them. If not, I can only hope that they sit on his self without anyone else buying them. I do in fact hope that I get them, if for no other reason than the opportunity to play around with them and see what possibilities do in fact exist.
Shingoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #13
Bactrian

First of all, the film you are looking for is refered to as SPLIT 70mm....and it is non perferated. you can find the backs for the RB that will use both SPLIT 70mm and 46mm. Just need to be consistant with what you want.

Old 12-07-2009   #14
Alpaca

To Camrajoky, from his post above, Shingosy has a Hasselblad EL, so even I am not sure why you are talking about split 70 for an RB.

Shingoshy, forget cine 70mm film. 1. The processing required is incompatible with still camera emulsions. 2. The sprockets are not the same either, only the actual film width. I will post samples here when I can work out how, and will also do the same at photo.net (which I find is more user friendly)

Your ideas about consolidated film ordering is a good one, and is already done in England for large format Ilford FP4, with silverprint.co.uk in London being the trading post. It works. Kodak don't care and will not move a muscle to organise anything. For them it is simply Order > cash > deliver. Silverprint also stock 70mm FP4.

(I must get back to work)
Kevin Parratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009   #15
Alpaca

Get the backs, but in the mean time find out who you will be sending to for processing. I have a fairly complete outfit for B&W, which I may also use for room temp C41, not for perfect colour negs, but cross processing chrome. You will find on eBay a regular trickle supply of Fuji 64T Duplicating film. It makes for interesting soft-colour landscapes (with conversion filter) or ok indoors with Tungsten.
Essentially what you need for the Hasselblad A70 magazine (and most other still camera 70mm mags) is Type II (Type 2) Sprocket.
Old 12-07-2009   #16
Bactrian

[QUOTE=Justme1926;213916]Does anybody know of a source for 70mm film, color or BW?

I have a Mamiya RB67 Pro-S and I'm interested in getting a 70mm back for it
to shoot mulitple photos at a class reunion and other settings.

Thanks.

I was refering to this particular portion of his original post. I have used the back that he is talking about and there is no sprockets to pull film....just rubber rollers and you thread the end of the film onto a spool....it is then pulled thru the mag by the motor. This is refered to as LONG ROLL, using a 100 foot roll of film. For the 70mm film for shooting portraits it is normally called split 70mm but most just call it 70mm.

Old 12-07-2009   #17
Alpaca

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Yes, right back to the 2007 post. I guess he has one by now.

This RB 70mm back has been for sale for a while.

Cheers, Kevin
Old 12-08-2009   #18
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Parratt View Post
Get the backs, but in the mean time find out who you will be sending to for processing. I have a fairly complete outfit for B&W, which I may also use for room temp C41, not for perfect colour negs, but cross processing chrome. You will find on eBay a regular trickle supply of Fuji 64T Duplicating film. It makes for interesting soft-colour landscapes (with conversion filter) or ok indoors with Tungsten.
Essentially what you need for the Hasselblad A70 magazine (and most other still camera 70mm mags) is Type II (Type 2) Sprocket.
Hey Kevin,
I just ordered and paid for my backs. I got two of them for $80 with $12 in shipping. Not too bad. I just feel a bit crazy right now having done this. Especially since I've done something I'd rather not have. But I'll feel better when I have them knowing it's safe to pursue this route for further action now.
HASSELBLAD 70 FILM BACK MAGAZINE TWO MATCHED EXCELLENT - eBay (item 110455137617 end time Dec-07-09 20:43:48 PST)

[IMG=http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/6590/70filmbackmagazinetwoma.th.jpg]

ShingoshiDao

Last edited by Shingoshi; 12-08-2009 at 12:09 AM.. Reason: Posted the link for verification!
Shingoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009   #19
Alpaca

Very nice! Congratulations!

I have an image of 70mm cine film against 70mm Type II that we use in Hasselblad. I'll see if I can get it to upload.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 70mm cine against Type II x511.jpg (56.3 KB, 158 views)
Old 12-08-2009   #20
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Parratt View Post
Very nice! Congratulations!

I have an image of 70mm cine film against 70mm Type II that we use in Hasselblad. I'll see if I can get it to upload.
Wow! They are completely different. No chance in hell of that ever working! Thanks for the photo to compare the two. I would have kept having questions if you hadn't posted it.

ShingoshiDao

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Cameras and Lenses > Film Camera »

Share this topic: